Do you have a VHF license?

• Yep. I have a license.

Votes: 226 87.3%
  • Nope. Haven't bothered.

Votes: 33 12.7%

• Total voters

koenig

Visit site
Short answer is yes for me and considering doing the boat as well. Canada has a boat operator license for all powered craft. So our marine law enforcement tends to random check boats for safety and operator licenses. Its better to be 100%legal when dealing with officials. You don't need a station license for the boat to have VHF outfitted. So it could be legal to have VHF radio on without being licensed for emergency use here. But in case I'm inspected and asked for a license, have it just in case to avoid "official" confusion. I've moved into a house that makes the marina closest and easiest travel wise in the United States easier, so I'll be moving boat across the border. The U.S you don't need a license to operate or have VHF. But you need both to operate in international waters. So I'm considering adding the VHF station license on the boat. I'll be boating in both Canadian and American waters. That means often dealing with the Department Of Homeland Security, who often check boats coming into American Waters from Canada. Another its better to be 100% legal and avoid "official" confusion!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Sorry - guilty!

At least my signature is still working, not that many on here have read it. :rolleyes:

It's more of an 'Americanism' than that we can't spell. I, like many on here it seems, work in IT support and we are continually exposed to 'license' in software agreements etc. After 25 years you get a kind of spelling pollution - it's worse if you write a lot of raw code as you even have to question your own spelling of 'colour' too... :eek:

koenig

Visit site
It's more of an 'Americanism' than that we can't spell. I, like many on here it seems, work in IT support and we are continually exposed to 'license' in software agreements etc. After 25 years you get a kind of spelling pollution - it's worse if you write a lot of raw code as you even have to question your own spelling of 'colour' too... :eek:

Grew up (debatable) in Both Canada (British spelling) and America. American teachers would except either, but I became Americanized. A Canadian English teacher did complain about it.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
I have a hoperaters licence (noun)
It is more better to license (verb) yer radio innit
This spellin lark is easy peasy when yer knows how like;)

I have a hoperaters licence (noun)
It is more better to license (verb) yer radio innit
This spellin lark is easy peasy when yer knows how like;)

Correct, but then your English Language skills are much better than you let on. :p

Just got to work on the their/there people next and maybe the here here/hear hear ones as well, then my work here is done.

But to to answer the original question, I am not licensed at the moment as I have tried several times to renew my licence via the website.

I will try again before the start of the season.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Racing motorcycles have been my profession,both riding and engineering/preparation/design from 1969.Employed by the Norton Factory race dept,till 1975, then the Honda racing corporation till 1980. Run my own business since 1982. Classic racing for fun since 1982. Raced in the USA, Europe,Japan,South Africa,New Zeeland.Loved every moment. Now is the time to return to my first love. The good old briny.

Tangerine, I don't know how to break this to you, but are you aware that motorbikes don't normally float? I used to watch the sand racing at Wallasey beach, but they never went racing when the tide was in. :D

tangerine

www.normanwhite.co.uk
Tangerine, I don't know how to break this to you, but are you aware that motorbikes don't normally float? I used to watch the sand racing at Wallasey beach, but they never went racing when the tide was in. :D

Very observant of you Searush. I recall way back when one of the greatest TT riders of all time,Joey Dunlop sank,complete with bike, off Douglas IOM in rough weather,attempting to reach the Island on a trawler. God knows why he didnt come the traditional way,...he could afford it ,after all.

Kawasaki

Visit site
Joey's bikes were already on the Island
Robert's bikes were on board the MFV Tornamona.
I think one of Brian Reid's rides too!
The tale goes that Joey was making lamb sandwiches and was asking who wanted salt on them when She hit the rocks, it wasn't an issue a few minutes later!

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk
Correct, but then your English Language skills are much better than you let on. :p

Just got to work on the their/there people next and maybe the here here/hear hear ones as well, then my work here is done.

But to to answer the original question, I am not licensed at the moment as I have tried several times to renew my licence via the website.

Didn't realise you had to renew your lisense, anyone else on hear renewed there's?

Kawasaki

Visit site
Didn't realise you had to renew your lisense, anyone else on hear renewed there's?

Ship Radio Licence
Ship Radio Licences are issued free by Ofcom and remain valid for up to 10 years, so long as the details of the vessel and it's owner don't change.
If the boat is sold, the owner's address changes, or the radio equipment is changed, the licence will have to be renewed.
Innit;)

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk

The Ofcom website is very good, but there are certainly some things you can't do online. I originally applied online and when I log in I can see my ships licence and there is a button to 'validate' (renew). My 'validation by' date is 2020 - 10 years on from original application. If you have no login (perhaps you applied by post or over phone?) or can't 'validate' your licence to renew, try registering first or failing that, phoning them.

I couldn't find anywhere to apply for a group MMSI number so phoned them - transpires it can't be done online, but they answered phone immediately, were very helpful and emailed a form within 5 minutes. Good to see customer service does still exist... :rolleyes: (The group MMSI was free too!) :D

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Ship Radio Licence
Ship Radio Licences are issued free by Ofcom and remain valid for up to 10 years, so long as the details of the vessel and it's owner don't change.
If the boat is sold, the owner's address changes, or the radio equipment is changed, the licence will have to be renewed.
Innit;)

When you say "renewed", you mean "amended" ?

I've changed equipment and i just added the new stuff and reprinted the licence.

The 10 year thing is also confusing. Mine needs validating 10 years from the issue date, yet on the licence and on the OFCOM site it says "This Licence shall continue in force unless revoked by Ofcom or surrendered by the licensee."