DIY from scratch catamaran

Hendrixsonsailing

Visit site
Just looking for information on boatyards that allow civilians to build their own catamaran. I need help finding proper boat yards that allow civilian construction. Or catamaran companies that help civilians design a boat for a DIY build. Thank you for your thoughts

t21

Visit site
okay, here's 3 thoughts
1 Whereabouts? UK, Europe?
2 You'll need a lot of space for the in-build catamaran, and for the prep work too. More space = more expensive. You only need to be near water for the final launch, not for the (year+ ?) build process. So maybe look at inland places?
3 If you can't solve the relatively easy "where" question ... are you a dreamer? I think so. "Where will you keep it" is THE question that boat sellers use to "qualify" a genuine buyer. So perhaps "Where will you build it" is the same for the DIY builder?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I maybe wrong but if you looking at building from scratch you be lucky to find s boat yard to give you the room , I sure in the pass many yards have been caught out with unfinish project left which now the yard can't get rid off .
I think you be better off looking for a barn that's not in use some where .
Anyway good luck

Hendrixsonsailing

Visit site
okay, here's 3 thoughts
1 Whereabouts? UK, Europe?
2 You'll need a lot of space for the in-build catamaran, and for the prep work too. More space = more expensive. You only need to be near water for the final launch, not for the (year+ ?) build process. So maybe look at inland places?
3 If you can't solve the relatively easy "where" question ... are you a dreamer? I think so. "Where will you keep it" is THE question that boat sellers use to "qualify" a genuine buyer. So perhaps "Where will you build it" is the same for the DIY builder?
I’m still new in the process of figuring all this out. I have a general idea but willing to change based on what people’s experiences have been. Money and design aren’t the issue. I’ve seen that Europe and South Africa are both good spots to build in. Just need some guidance to talk with boat yards and their accommodations. I live in the USA but am prepared to move to best location for this adventure.

Tranona

Visit site
There is very little activity in self build boats now for several reasons. First the number of people interested and having both the ability and resources to take on a project of this size is very small. Regulations on construction of boats mean designers are reluctant to get involved in such projects. The number of places where space and infrastructure is available is limited. The availability of huge numbers of existing boats at affordable prices mean that self build new is no longer economically attractive.

Not sure where you get the idea that Europe would be a good place - exactly the opposite - even though there are large multihull builders located here, particularly in France. The only two countries that have any sort of activity are S Africa and Australia. Self build and home completion of catamarans has been popular in the latter country, although probably declining recently.Probably now is nnot a good time to think about trying to migrate to another country just to build a boat.

t21

Visit site
"Money and design aren't the issue." ?? Money and design are the MAIN issues if you're building a catamaran. Have you got a design? How much money?? And ... Europe and South Africa are huge areas, not "spots" with language challenges to many N Americans.

Most would buy something and refit, far FAR easier these days. Boat yards build boats and increasing regulation means that non-employees generally aren't welcome, don't produce an income, want lots of advice and help, but don't generate revenue.

"New to the the process of figuring this all out" means "Dreamer" ... unless you have specific design.

How much $ can you lay your hands on for this? Approximately?

Sorry to be harsh here but your original query is so wide and vague - like a dream. Your first response makes it more so, not less.

AndersG

Visit site
I’m still new in the process of figuring all this out. I have a general idea but willing to change based on what people’s experiences have been. Money and design aren’t the issue. I’ve seen that Europe and South Africa are both good spots to build in. Just need some guidance to talk with boat yards and their accommodations. I live in the USA but am prepared to move to best location for this adventure.
Keep in mind the Schengen 90 days in any 180 days unless you qualify and are prepared to become resident. I have not built a boat and never wil but I would expect the US to be cheapest country to build one.

Bajansailor

Visit site
@Hendrixsonsailing if you can provide some more specific information about the particular boat that you want to build, then the above posters (who all know a lot about the subject) will be better able to help you.

Have you finalised a design yet?
If yes, can you post some basic details here like overall size, displacement - perhaps even a General Arrangement drawing?
If it is still just a vague idea, I am sure you must still have some sketches of your ideas - can you post these?
As @t21 has asked you above, what is your budget for this project?

Note that the cost of building a new catamaran will still be significantly more than purchasing a second hand cat, even if you build it in a 'third world' country - labour might be 'cheap' (relatively) there, but the material costs (timber, fibreglass, aluminium etc) would probably be the same as in a 'first world' country.

Norman_E

Visit site
Don't think boatyard, just think where you can rent a small warehouse where you can build it indoors, then get it trucked when it's ready to launch.
EDIT, warehouse or a barn.

Last edited:

cherod

N/A
Visit site
you could of course build a Wharram in a small area and put it together beside a launch spot , i would think east asia would be good place .

Kelpie

Visit site
Got to wonder what requirements the OP has that cannot be more cheaply and easily fulfilled by buying a production cat.

Having said that, I love seeing interesting one off designs. I met someone who designed and built a 50ft ply epoxy cat, with electric drive in one hull and a diesel in the other, and a funky lattice mast. He seemed to like it but I'm certain that the design and build process was at least as big a part of the enjoyment for him as the sailing

PlanB

Visit site
Call me a cynic, but is it a coincidence that this thread pops up as the "newbie sailing the world in a27 footer" thread was closed?

t21

Visit site
"far more homebuilds get started than get launched" sounds very wise old birdery eh? But er, thinking about it .... it couldn't ever be the case that MORE homebuilds got launched than were started, could it? Impossible! It's ALWAYS gonna be a maximum of the SAME number. So stands to reason that "more homebuilds get started than get launched" is axiomatic? But yeah, I know what is meant haha