DISASTER day at launch

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
OH DEAR!

Well I woke up with a headache from hell, no amount of painkillers would get rid of it. Met the dealer at M25 junction, went to Chatham at 11am checked birth OK, introduced ourselves to Marina staff. We were unable to launch there as they have no slipway and ony crane in and out, but no crane driver on Saturdays. Got directions to Gillingham slip, went there with dealer towing boat with transit van, me following in 4x4 with wife and 16yr old son. Although it should be possible to launch at most times at Gillingham, the mud on the slip made it too slippy for the transit, we had two hours to high water. It was decided to get the boat ready to launch, but the slip was not steep at all and it was going to be difficult to get the boat emersed without the van being emersed as well.

We took the cover off the boat and the dealer untied it, unfortunately they had only finished the anti-fouling yesterday and the ropes rollers had marked the anti foul through to the primer, one of the side stripes was also badly scored. I thought that I may aswell go to a local chandlers to get a pot and do a quick repair job, went there but it was not in stock. As I returned to the slip and reversed onto the slip I failed to notice a very low concrete and metal bollard set about 4ft from the side of the very wide slip, this crunched into the side of my vehicle ripping up the whole lenght of the door! I was starting to get a bit pi..sed off by then.

Anyway the dealer decided afetr looking at the water for an hour that he would use the strapd that had been over the boat as an extension to the tow ball and attach it to the trailer. This was done giving about 15ft extra, and the trailer was rolled back into the water. Unfortunately the slope was so shallow that as the tide came in, the water was up past the back wheels of the transit and the boat had still not floated off. The dealer was now in the boat surrounded by water, with my wife in the drivers seat of the transit. It came to sucha stage that I had to rush and get my 4x4 as it seemed the transit would be unable to get out as the dried mud had now got slippy and the weight of the boat and trailer would be too much for it. I was then going to tow the transit and trailer with boat out of the water!! The water was coming in very fast and the wheels of the transit were disappearing. I decided that I would attach a new 30ft rope I had in my vehicle to the straps from the trailer as I could see the trailer having to be cut free to save the van. I managed this we got the van free and I took the strain with my vehicle. We now had enough length to keep the vehicle out of the water whilst waiting for the water to float the boat off. The dealer was franticaly reversing the boat to try and free it, this did nothing except put large chunks of anti foul on the carpeted bit of my flat bed trailer, I was really getting annoyed. Anyway eventually it floated free and I towed the trailer out of the water, took off the ropes and fixed it to my trailer. As I drove up the slipway and turned left to park up, one of the wheel guards (plastic cover thing) caught on a bit of fence and it shattered.

I was now really pis..ed off. I got out of the trailer and went to fix my SAS hitch lock as we were going to take the boat around to Chatham and use my wifes car to bring us all back later. The hitch lock was not the right one and would not fit over the Snipe connector, a waste of £59.99p. I decided to put on at least one of the three SAS wheel clamps that I had bought as the trailer is not insured without it, I went to fit it and found that you needed a special long Alan key that I had left in the plastic brief case type box at home. I was now fuming and my head was pounding with the headache. I just left the trailer as I had just had enough and went and got in the boat. We went through some details of the boat and then set off for Chatham, unfortunately the dealer did not know where he was or which way it was, luckily I had three GPS's on me, full charts of the area and showed him the way. I then realised that there were things missing off the baot that I had asked weeks and weeks ago tobe sorted out e.g. the decal in the centre of the horm was missing, the boat should come with an hour and depth guage, they had just fitted the depth guage which was a totally different colour to all the other dials. Anyway we got to Chatham and I just wanted to let him get away so we could sort things out. I took him back to his van and off he went, I then went out with my son to look for oldgit but could not find him around the submarine, mind you it was 5.50pm by then.

Anyway I also realised that my safety gear FILLS the WHOLE cuddy cabin, and that I will have to take drastic measures. I am going back tomorrow with my wife and hope oldgit will give me a bit of his time and come out for a spin, as I need some support I am so fed up. As I was leaving the boat I went to put the covers on, what a nonsense they are, you need to be russian gymnast to get out of the boat after doing that up.

So still got the headache and had a really sh.t first day boating, but perhaps someone here has put a spell on me! If I promise to be good could you please remove it as it has served it's purpose. It seems that the £80 crane fee that I was fully willing to pay would have been a bargain if the driver had been there, and saved three hours of hanging around and £600 damage to my car, not to mention the fear of my wife floating off in a Sealine transit van! and my £2,000 trailer sinking into thick mud forever.

Let's hope tomorrow is better, I think I need a holiday!

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

lanason

Visit site
Ouch - sounds like a nightmare of a day - really sorry to hear that.

Think I'll keep my days outing to myself then - don't want to rub salt into the wounds.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>More Pics of Kelisha</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

oldgit

Visit site
Have sent you PM./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

gonfishing

Visit site
ahh!! for the joys of boating !!! at least you had a concete slip, first time i launched was at Oxwich (gower) on the beach ,then you get silly things like trailor sinking into sand vehiccle sunk in sand neither going anywhere an interminal walk of about a mile up the beach coz tide was out, mate with tractor in pub laughing his C**K of, watching everything go pear shaped, that though was inexperience, as for your dealer?broker? is he still drawing breadth??have you paid him???and what's his name just in case i go back to Chatham and need help,i just want to make sure i don't call a p*****k like him for help,

still never mind tomorrow is another day, and another lesson

good luck and
regards
julian

<hr width=100% size=1>oooh, i'll be fishing soon.

BrendanS

Visit site
Huh!!

Why call that a disaster? Perfectly normal day out boating.

Put the car damage etc off until Monday, then get on the boat tomorrow, and go for a blast! You'll wonder why you ever had a headache

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
Sounds like you ran into a severe manifestation of Sod's Law (anything that can go wrong, will).

I am genuinely sorry you had such a hard time of what should have been a special first day afloat. You have prepared very thoroughly and deserved much better luck. What this shows, I venture to suggest (and I don't mean it as a criticism), is the gulf between theoretical knowledge and experience. I started my boating in a similar way (a trailer launched 21' sportsboat) and many of the problems you described are ones which I encountered at different times but (and this is where you were unlucky) not all at the same time and not all on my maiden voyage).

I am surprised that the dealer wasn't able to make your transition from theory to reality a bit more successful - I would have expected him to have the necessary experience. For example (and this may not have been possible so I apologise if it is not relevant), one of the tricks I learned about launching a heavy boat from a trailer (I had a rollercoaster - not sure if yours has rollers or bunks) is to back down the slipway (winch disconnected) with a little speed then, at the right time, brake sharply. The boat will then launch itself from the trailer and slip easily into the water. You do need to have prepared everything in advance but it is an effective way of launcing a boat on a shallow slipway.

Don't be disheartened. Because everything you're doing is new it's easy to become overloaded. It happened to me.

Like any new activity, it will take practice before you start to feel comfortable with what you're doing. Then you will have time and confidence to look ahead and spot the problems before they arise.

All the best.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Thanks for your kind comments. The problem that we encountered was the very gradual slope on the slipway, had we done the break hard with the rollercoaster and the boat shot off, it would have just hit the ground causing major damage. I have certainly learnt a great lesson, although what is annoying is that I would have rather learnt it another day, but the moral is is you need the correct equipment for the job. I bought an electric winch which I could have used on my 4x4, this has 30mtrs of cable and would have coped easily with the situation, what annoyed me was that I had put my full trust in what was going on and had to then take the situation into my own hands when it was getting out of control.

Anyway, a very good lesson learnt, always take the winch! I have seen film of the French who seem to toss there boats off the side of the slipway from the trailer, it looks very effective, but I'm afraid I didn't have the bottle to try it today.

I feel that now I have the boat I can get on with the learning, I am sure that I will learn something every day I am out.

Cheers,

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

bigmart

Visit site
You really seem to have had a bad intro to boating. It does get better, I promise you. It does sound like you have found the truth about safety gear. The reason that it is safe is that, if youve got it all, there ain't no room on the boat for you!

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
All seems fairly normal to me. Remembering my first launching sesion. Alot of years ago. Son haired off with trailor and wrapped it round some guys bumper. Who was totaly unimpressed with the event. Then I drove the boat towards these mooring buoys which turned out to be marking a rocky shallow. Then the new prop that we had to buy was far to big, so the boat would not plane and the car park attendant would not let the wife back on the car park after going for spares. Even though we had paid for the whole weekend. I felt sorry for him in the end!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Well at least Happy you havent had a deluge of sarcy replies, everyones been very understanding, which should I hope restore your faith in this lot.

By the way are you gonna apply to the local council for an extension to your cuddy/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

oldgit

Visit site
Very easy to rubbish dealer of of course so i will,but that slip you used is bloody awful and it would have been the very very very last place that you should have launched at that state of tide using no good for job in the least Transit..
Everyone here who has had the pleasure of trailer boating will be nodding sagely at your experiences all of which will have occured over a year or two.
I expect you were fed up to the /forums/images/icons/laugh.gifgunnals/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.
Is that spelling OK me old forum pedants........esp west country ones./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Thanks

Thank you all for your understanding. I feel it is better to report the true facts so that others can learn from them, but as you all know no matter how much planning you do there will always be some element that appears out of the unknown, you must be prepared for these elements and be on the look out for them, as they could be dangerous. I have certainly learnt a lesson from yesterday with regards to launching, I don't want to rubbish the dealer as from what has been written in reply, this is one of the worst slipways, but had I been more experienced I may refused to let the boat be launched there, especially with the equipment / vehicle that was being used. We all ended up with our shoes covered in mud, pis.ed off and a stream of damage left behind, and it still isn't funny to me today, but I guess in about 20yrs I may have a laugh at it. I may have even found it funny seeing my wife float away in a transit van /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Let's hope today is a better one, it can't really get any worse. My headache seems to have gone so should be more enjoyable.

Thanks again for not laughing, and your kind words.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
No Oldgit it's spelt with an "e", don't you know anythink /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Anyway, H1, seems you've had a very bad day, it can only get better. Suggest you really do take the dealer to task, no excuse for not doing what he was paid for and for damage b4 you even get the boat. Really not good enuf.

He's not from the Exeter area is he?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: Thanks

It will only get better from here, Happy. I guess the biggest mistake was assuming that the dealer would be interested in providing a service after relieving you of X grand.

If you can, try and get someone along who's done it before, whenever you do something for the first time - there's plenty of willing help around here.

As for the safety gear and the cuddy, well I won't say it. You'll work out in fairly short order what you really need to carry.

Now, you have 6 weeks to become a competent boater - looking forward to seeing you on the Hamble.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Ooooh dear - but at least you have not reverted to being GRUMPY1, which is a bit of a surprise after that experience. I'm pleased it was not the boat that was damaged, 'cos that would have been a good reason to slit your wrists. It reminds me of our first day with our brand new S37 in Hythe Marina lock. I accidently left the boat in reverse gear and went aft to catch the lock ropes. I just stood frozen and watched it reverse at several knots into the sharp metal of the lock gates doing £700 worth of damage - on day one!!. I was inconsolable for weeks!! Don't be despondant, it really can (and will) get better - have a great Summer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Week 1 with our last boat, and I cocked up coming alongside the quay wall because the handling was so different to the previous boat. Punched an 18" long gash through the hull (above the rubbing strip) in front of about 50 spectators.

Now, the trick is to look nonchalant, and make like you meant to do it...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
Will you lot stop it!!!!

I'm having such hassles with my boat on the slip but after reading all these nightmares, I think I'm going to leave it there and just play at being a boater without the risk of being in the water. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

Forbsie

Visit site
Re: Will you lot stop it!!!!

Oh all right, you can carry on. I'm going down the boatyard. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>