DISASTER day at launch

Alistairr

Visit site
Re: there\'s laughing and laughing...

Sounds like a typical first day boating, sounds like my first day boating.
I reversed the trailer down the slipway could not understand why i would not float off the trailer, only to remember i'd forgotten to put the bung in, so got back in to my 6mth old freelander to pull it back out and my clutch and fly wheel assemble broke, ended up with friends shogun pulling me the trailer and boat all out.
The boat must have taken a lot of water on as it took about 15 mins to drain, then put the bung in reversed it back in, it floated of the trailer, pulled by rope upbeach at side of slip climbed on to bow walked round the side to get into the boat , and slipped and fell in... Apperently a typical first day i was told.....

Believe me it only gets better.... ENJOY..

<hr width=100% size=1>CHEERS.

Help needed to name new boat, PLEASE.

duncan

Visit site
Re: i thought you left her afloat...

in which case how could you have pulled out the bung?
You may or may not have a bung - it's a nylon/plastic screw in thing at the base of the transom removed when the boat is stored on a trailer to (1) let any last water out of the bilge that you may have aquired on passage and (2) air the bilge - it also permits the washing off with fresh water of the inside of the boat after a really exciting trip when lots of salty water came in the boat, without having to mop up with sponges!
At 21ft you may or may not have one - you would struggle to remove it with the boat in the water - don;t know anyone who has tried but many have struggled the other way round...........

<hr width=100% size=1>

AJW

Visit site
Re: i thought you left her afloat...

IIRC there is a plastic bung just below the outdrive leg on a GS209. If you have pulled it out and the boat is afloat then it wont be (afloat that is) for much longer! Doubt that you have been able to do this - bung might be an internal drain?

Welcome to the joys of trailer boating. We all have these experiences. Part of lifes rich tapestry so dont give up yet.

Of course RIBS are easier to launch..................................... :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Re: Trailers!

Jon, I think a lot of people are missing the point, I AM NOT INTERESTED in using a trailer that is why we have a berth at the marina. The delivery should really have been nothing to do with me it was the dealer getting the boat to me, I just went to see for the experience and bl..dy hell did I get one or what!! I bought the trailer just in case I ever needed to use it, but it is firmly stored away for ever now /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

duncan

Visit site

not for ever I hope - you are due on the solent at least twice this year according to posts!
I would suggest the first trip is vital in positioning your future objectives and the possibilites open to you - I speak from 4 years in a marina on the medway and the early Mercury/Hamble/Solent trips that led me to Poole and a happy family boating life (with the odd hiccup!)
There will be many hands to help launch and recover at Mercury - and I suspect you could get craned in if you really wanted..............
ps have you worked out just what you have pulled out of where 'bung' wise?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

Hi Duncan, with regards to the solent I may just get a boat moving company to make the boat appear there on a mooring. As far as the bung goes it was something to do with the waste water from the sink, nothing to worry about. Thanks for your kind words,

Cheers,

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site

H1,

Even as perhaps the most ardent of Trailboaters with my Beneteau Antares 760, I have also had my moments in the past.

About 20 years ago I used my prided new possession of a Rover 3.5 Vitesse to launch a 22 ft boat. All went beautifully on the steep slipway. Just seemed a pity that I did in the clutch when recovering it at the end of the weekend!

Even after 20 years of trailering when I bought my last boat, (Skibsplast 700), I took her down to the local boatyard and ran the trailer in with the boatyard tractor. Unfortunately it was a little bit windy and my shiny new pride and joy was floating rapidly towards a pair of davits on another boat. I legged it along the narrow side deck, lost my footing and skated over the side. All would have been well, except for one tiny detail, on the way into the water I could not resist the urge to grab at the rail. IF I'd had any sense, there would have just been a splash, but NO! I had to grab the rail. Result: fingers stopped at rail, rest of body didn't, so ring finger of right hand dislocated.

The only saving grace was that boat didn't hit anything, using me as a fender instead. Did the nonchalant bit, went to the loo, wrung out shorts and undies and went out for a run, ignoring all advice to go to hospital.

Went to hospital after boat trip. As it was now early evening, casualty told me I could not have finger joint reset until the morning. Was so angry and pain wracked with now badly swollen finger that I reversed into a concrete flower pot leaving the carpark which cost me £200 for a new bumper.

I still have yet to launch Artic Fox from my new bunked trailer on the local slipway, so I will, keep you posted.

Even so, when I stepped on board in the garden this morning, the first time for about 3 months, it was nice to be greeted with a pleasant fresh warm and dehumidified boat which had safely lived alongside the house through winter whilst I had been in Angola. When it is at home and sheeted over and heated, I just do not worry at all.

So do not worry, we have all had our moments with trailers. As has already been said, when you do something for the first time it is easy to become overloaded. You have learned so much that it really will be just so much easier once you have cooled down and have your next try. Just sounds unfortunate that you picked the wrong slip for the first attempt.

Don't give up on the trailer, once you get the hang of it and do a quick proficient launch or recovery it all begins to feel worthwhile.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

Blimey, seems I got off lightly! I think I will spend a day watching others launch before trying my own first launch, If I didn't I could see a divorce coming on /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

duncan

Visit site

echoing Joanne's comments the happest are teh familys that share responsibilities.
It is a fact that men are better car drivers - we keep explaining it to anyone who listens. It is therfore logical for the guy to drive the car and the girl to neatly reverse the boat away from the trailer. Guy part car and heads for poontoon or whatever and assists girl berthing - note at this point shouting and screaming look silly.
To do this girl needs to be able to handle boat which all comes down to practice. Start by teaching the kids or invest in a powerboat level 2 course for the girl - even better get instructor along to teach you both on your boat. 200 for the weekend is the best investment you will ever make.
As a spin off benefit you will have a fully competent 'skipper' on board should you chose to relinquish the position in favour of a few drinks one summer day.........normal whose driving /drinking arguments permitting of course!

<hr width=100% size=1>