Diesel flexible 100 - 200 Liter bladder, where to buy in Europe?

fuss

Visit site
Where could I buy a fuel bladder in Europe, that would be suitable for transporting diesel from the dock in the bottom of the Tender.
something looking like this....
2EFFA1DF-2595-43B2-BDEF-49F94F6FE420.jpeg

fuss

Visit site
How are you going to get the fuel out to the tank without making a mess. If you puncture it in any way you could have one hell of a diesel spill to cope with. Surely 4/5 20 litre hard fuel containers would be better. You can then have extra fuel on board too.
Yes, good point, I will have a valve on it and pump it out when back at the boat, 2 of these 100l bladders saves having to have lots of 20l containers.

V1701

Visit site
Forgive me but I'd have thought the hassles associated with using such a thing would outweigh the advantages, e.g. having got the tender to the quay or wherever, where are you going to take the container to get it filled and when it's full how do you get it back to and into the tender, and then out of the tender and into position on board? Even a small bladder (40 or 50l) is going to be very unwieldy. When I had a boat in Greece I either parked on the town quay and got a fill there from a little diesel truck or took a can or two on the tender and filled them at the garage near the quay...

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
200 litres is around 170kg. You would need a fairly hefty dinghy as thats about 2.5 people. You would have to fill it at the fuel pontoon as you could never lift it to or from the dinghy, and then pump it up up from dinghy into your primary fuel tanks. Heaven help you if you then have spillage as harbour master etc unlikely to be pleased. You are reinventing the fuel bowser barge

Last edited:

fuss

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, all good points, my tank is more than 1000l so its just for emergencies as I don't like carrying 20l containers. This bladder solution takes nearly no space. Its just for one senario. I want some fuel and cannot get to the fuel dock (this happens sometimes). I put the bladder in the bottom of the dinghy and get it filled, come back and pump it in. I know I know, the fuel is 5km inland. I can't cover all solutions. Maybe I'll buy just a 100l bladder.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Putting aside the discussion regarding the practicality of this item, the answer to your question, assuming you have no European languages, is to first ascertain the official name of the item, then use Google Translate to find out what it's called in a few relevant countries. You can then google those translations. Many of the websites thus discovered will have an option of an English translation, otherwise use Google Translate.
This is what many of us in Ireland are having to do now, as a result of the Sierra Hotel India Tango that has been caused by Brexit!!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
How are you going to get the fuel out to the tank without making a mess. If you puncture it in any way you could have one hell of a diesel spill to cope with. Surely 4/5 20 litre hard fuel containers would be better. You can then have extra fuel on board too.
Just to note that similar but much larger structures ("flubbers") are used to transport and store fuel at temporary field sites - widely used for aviation fuel in the Antarctic at remote locations where a presence is required for many months, but not permanently. Fuel is flown in on a large transport aircraft and then used for smaller survey aircraft. They are, I gather, pretty bomb-proof as regards puncturing; the material gives before it punctures.

However, I agree with the other points regarding practicality. It would need filling at a fuel depot and emptying using a pump; if you can get one of these to a fuel depot, why not moor the boat in question alongside to fill up?

pvb

Visit site
The item you have linked is located in the USA. The OP is located in the Med and states that he wants to buy in Europe, (i.e. no Customs duties). No one seems to be addressing his actual question; where in Europe would he get one?

Actually, I only linked to it to clarify what exactly he was looking for; I wasn't suggesting he should buy from the US. I'm sure he can find something similar in Europe. Incidentally you'll probably have noticed that the item in the link is made in Russia.

JVL

Visit site
Thanks very much for this link, I wonder a little about this ones longliveity, but definitely along the right lines.
What you are looking for are Nauta tanks made and available in France I’m Many sizes . I’ve used them for over thirty years for water , diesel, and jet A1 for long range helicopter ops ! They are excellent

John