dental equipment

sarabande

Visit site
What kit for dental emergencies should one carry on board, and where can one buy it, please ?

(and yes, I know that intravenous Laphroaig is standard !)

davidbains

Visit site
It's not easy to fix your own teeth!! Best to have any treatment before you set off.
If a tooth breaks or filling is lost without pain, then gutta percha will fill the space for a while
but only really sticks to a dry tooth. Tooth grinders are more likely to break teeth. If you grind all night, have a "bite raiser" made and wear it at night.
If the nerve is exposed then clove oil mixed with zinc oxide sticks better and gives real relief.
For real toothache strong painkillers are needed. Lying down can make it worse so in extremis spend the night sitting up or semi reclining.
If your face is swollen with an abscess as well, then antibiotics in adequate doses are required as well as painkillers until you can get professional help.
Dead teeth produce abscesses so before a long trip consider root filling or extracting dead teeth.
Gum infections/abscesses are less painful usually and are an exacerbation of a chronic condition brought about by poor oral hygiene and probably smoking. Also worse in shift workers who do not get a regular nights sleep with brushed teeth (ie at sea!).
Smokers mouths do not heal well.
Brush your teeth after breakfast and last thing at night.
Avoid acid drinks and don't suck mints.
Use diet coke to clean your diesel engine with.

lille_bee

Visit site
Forget about clove oil, it has no place any more in the 21st century. Get some extra-strength Orajel (benzocaine 20%), £4.99 inc. VAT for a 5.3g-tube, from most Pharmacies in the UK.
And quit smoking!

Csail

N/A
Visit site
I seem to have been too busy recently since being self employed and have cancelled two appointments (nhs) Will i be kicked out from the Dentists??

davies

Visit site
Apart from the Boots repair kit, a dental mirror and a light on a headband make the job much easier. Persuade your GP to give you a private prescription for the necessaries for dealing with a dental infection (an antibiotic such as Amoxycillin, and codeine to provide effective pain relief until the antibiotic takes charge).

Davy_S

Visit site
One word of warning, do not carry codeine if visiting Greek waters as it is a banned substance!
I managed to do a very good filling using a Dremmel with the flexi hose atached, and a two part epoxy putty. Then again I am a real man (but terrified of dentists needles) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

trouville

N/A
Visit site
I asked my girlfriend, she said tempory filling.I never thought of that before!Last year i lost a filling(an old one done by a another dentist) thankfully it dident hurt.

A dremel and epoxy sounds like pakistan!!!