Decided to opt out and get yard to sort antifoul

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
As one ages, the bank of time one has left reduces. That makes time a more valuable commodity than it was earlier in life.

I used to do everything myself due to a combination of lack of funds and lots of spare time, I enjoyed renovating houses, rebuilding engines, and working on the boat, but with time it has all lost its appeal somewhat - been there, done that, don't necessarily want to repeat it.

Now I have better things to do than dirty repetetive jobs, and I fortunately have the money to pay someone else to do them (although finding someone competent is always an issue).

So I don't think the practical boat owner is disappearing, rather the old gits on this forum are simply no longer in the demographic that does that sort of thing.

Just watch YouTube to see hundreds of young people getting stuck into repair and restoration projects - it's amazing what a combination of poverty and youth can achieve.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
You chaps are no good for my self discipline……I’ve just been up to Scotland for the mid winter checkover when I concluded that the hull looks increasingly like a contractors job, done it ourselves for the past thirty years, maybe now is the time….IMG_2157.jpeg

chriscallender

Visit site
As one ages, the bank of time one has left reduces. That makes time a more valuable commodity than it was earlier in life.

I used to do everything myself due to a combination of lack of funds and lots of spare time, I enjoyed renovating houses, rebuilding engines, and working on the boat, but with time it has all lost its appeal somewhat - been there, done that, don't necessarily want to repeat it.

Now I have better things to do than dirty repetetive jobs, and I fortunately have the money to pay someone else to do them (although finding someone competent is always an issue).

So I don't think the practical boat owner is disappearing, rather the old gits on this forum are simply no longer in the demographic that does that sort of thing.

Just watch YouTube to see hundreds of young people getting stuck into repair and restoration projects - it's amazing what a combination of poverty and youth can achieve.

Stemar

Visit site
I'm working on Jazzcat's hulls, or I would be if it wasn't raining, and I hope to get it done in time for the lift-in in April, but it's a horrible job, and I think it'll be the last time.

I'm a tightwad, but next time, SKI parents rule :)

Refueler

Visit site
Just had price in for yard where she is standing ... price and scope was good ...

Sand back hull to smooth
Two coats Epoxy Primer
Two coats Hard Racing

1267 Euros

Agreed - so now just wait weather to improve .. last two days had snow faling .. its about 30cms out there now .. Even the Range Rover is sliding about !!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Thinking about preperation for anti fouling. I normally use a HP washer to wash down and scrap and any hard fouling.

I have a rotating brush attachment for my HP washer the I use for washing my deck and cars.

I was think does anyone know of a similar device that ro can attach a sanding pad to that will rotate the sanding disk powered by the HP washer and also wash and sanding debree

I know there could be environmental issues but there is still environmental issues with pressure washing and even more environmental issues with dry sanding

Following on from my above request I can across this device

Sanding Solutions – Aqua Stripper – Exterior Paint & Lead Paint Removal Equipment

Any one know or have experience of this device or similar

Momac

Visit site

I enjoy working on the boat so don't really consider it to be a waste of a valuable/reducing commodity. Quite the opposite really .

Refueler

Visit site
I enjoy working on the boat so don't really consider it to be a waste of a valuable/reducing commodity. Quite the opposite really .

I agree with you, but some jobs are just plain UGH !!

Ever cleaned up, smoothed and then antifouled a Bilge Keel boat ... not a twin keeler that stands high - but a full body bilge job ?

CHeL9V8l.jpg

Take my word for it - its a job you only do once and dread ever doing again.

Momac

Visit site
I agree with you, but some jobs are just plain UGH !!

Ever cleaned up, smoothed and then antifouled a Bilge Keel boat ... not a twin keeler that stands high - but a full body bilge job ?

CHeL9V8l.jpg

Take my word for it - its a job you only do once and dread ever doing again.
This is mine
It must have been taken about 4 years ago . I still have the same car
Screenshot 2024-02-08 19.39.40.png