Decided to opt out and get yard to sort antifoul

Bouba

Visit site
My lift out and jet wash and return to water is free (once a year only) because it’s included in my lease for the place in port...they did the painting for about €700 (34 foot)....including Trilux for the stern and bow thrusters, flaps and rudder.....the prop and anodes I did myself

Refueler

Visit site
In the 15 years I have owned this boat I have scraped back just the once, when I bought the boat. Since then, never scraped back, or wet sanded. I do go round and scrape off loose antifouling, but that is minimum work. I use an ablative / eroding antifouling and apply two coats over it and two more at the bow, keel, skeg leading edges.

International have a technical note on why this is a bad idea but I am getting two years easily out each application, at current usage rates. When usage increases next year, I will see if I still get two years.

I agree there comes a time when paying someone to do this may be a good idea, but not yet, and it is very expensive for unskilled labour.

Usually I would follow similar .... but the boat in question is intended to race and the antifoul on her when bought - was rough and old. It was not self eroding ...
It had to be fully removed back to hull ... smoothed and then primed - A/F'd .....

She is now smooth as a baby's bum ... and probably worth at least 0.5 or probably more kts

Refueler

Visit site
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-12 at 13.23.32.jpeg

Just needs lift tmrw morning - paint the patches where cradle support are ... then 3pm - she goes back in water ....

Then its check no leaks .... re-rig the self tacker ... sort out a few things ...

I am discussing with another yard about their electrician going through the B&G Network and wiring ... I've literally given up on it !!

Bouba

Visit site
View attachment 178393

Just needs lift tmrw morning - paint the patches where cradle support are ... then 3pm - she goes back in water ....

Then its check no leaks .... re-rig the self tacker ... sort out a few things ...

I am discussing with another yard about their electrician going through the B&G Network and wiring ... I've literally given up on it !!
She looks good 👍👍👍

Refueler

Visit site
Sat with Yard Manager ... and he just said - there are some boats they lift and they look and you just don't feel its THE boat ... but Anisette - he just said she looks right .. has that 'feel' ....

Quite often others in the Yard ask about her ... she really does look different .. slim and purposeful.

Refueler

Visit site
Measured up for Self tacker sheet ... 20m ....

Normal genny sheets are 12mm ... but will be using 10mm on the ST .. see how it goes. It will be local store braid on braid until we decide final size and I order ... most likely Kingfisher brand .. same as xxxxxxxxxxx but lot cheaper !!

Refueler

Visit site
Measured up for Self tacker sheet ... 20m ....

Normal genny sheets are 12mm ... but will be using 10mm on the ST .. see how it goes. It will be local store braid on braid until we decide final size and I order ... most likely Kingfisher brand .. same as xxxxxxxxxxx but lot cheaper !!

mmmm my eyes are getting bad !!

Original sheets must be 14mm ... in the shop was obvious once I started handling the lines ...

So I have one line of 12mm and another of 10mm .... need general ropes at home anyway - so what is not used has purpose.

My thinking is that being a self tacker - it can be left set for a large part of the sailing period .. unlike a genny that has to be tacked and line handled. The smaller but still strong enough line will be less clutter ...