Decided to opt out and get yard to sort antifoul

Refueler

Visit site
I really do not have the inclination to scrape / smooth and then antifoul the 38 ... so when she gets launched - will sail her round to another harbour where she will be lifted and professionally antifouled.

Note : Coppercoat is not used here ... before anyone posts suggesting it. The most popular is Hard VC Tar or another is VC7 ...

I intend to get back into racing before I get too old ... so the hard will be applicable.

capnsensible

Visit site
There comes a time, when you have the dough, to use the yards!

A friend who's yacht I use ...a Beneteau 331....has just lifted here in Marina Rubicon. Yard doing the lot, antifoul, polish, etc. It's made his ....and my ...life easier.

This morning we helped another friend move his speedboat with a poorly engine move from the town marina to the yard. They are doing the work and in a couple of weeks, his Princess 45 is having the full treatment too.

Luxury. Gone are the days of grubbing around in a yard doing a January full of our liveaboard yacht and the school yachts. Hurrah! Age has its compensations. :)

Refueler

Visit site
There comes a time, when you have the dough, to use the yards!

For so long I've been 'careful' ... doing so much work myself ... but then it was mainly the satisfaction of achieving something. I still get that 'buzz' but when it comes to the boats now ?
Superanne had new rubbing strake ... sprayhood etc last year - it was such a pleasure to sit back and appreciate the good work of the yard. Yes it cost near what boat is worth ... and as many here know - on returning her to home port - she hit rocks and cracked one keel. So she's on the hard about 70% repaired now. Yes vastly overspent on her ... but I can afford it ... the boat holds too much sentimental value / memories.
The 38 .... she deserves doing the work correctly .... not the 'slap it on' that I would end up doing.
I'll probably end up asking the yard to rewire the boat !! But lets see what I can fettle ...

I'm 68yrs old ... business is going well ... so time to enjoy the money .... am even looking to buy a large parcel of land further upriver .....

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Thinking about preperation for anti fouling. I normally use a HP washer to wash down and scrap and any hard fouling.

I have a rotating brush attachment for my HP washer the I use for washing my deck and cars.

I was think does anyone know of a similar device that ro can attach a sanding pad to that will rotate the sanding disk powered by the HP washer and also wash and sanding debree

I know there could be environmental issues but there is still environmental issues with pressure washing and even more environmental issues with dry sanding

Refueler

Visit site
Don't tell Svet!! :D
It's a pity that you have to dunk it and then get it lifted again to get the job done.
She already knows ...

I'd do it in the yard where she is ... but its more just for mooring / storage ... any job that needs doing - they have to get in part-timers ...

I had them power wash off when lifted ... I could have done better ... they left all the barnacle rings .... which of course are now like concrete ....
I always cut the Barnies off at an angle with the power washer to remove the rungs as well in one go ...

The yard I want to use is primarily a repair and fitting out yard ... with storage. They don't have moorings to rent. The boat would be 'washed' again anyway ... only downside is that I'll pay to lift in .... then lift out / in again !! But at least job will be done properly.

Momac

Visit site
I bought a sanding plate which fits on a pole and sanding mesh .
Used wet
Still required some physical effort but made the job a lot easier compared to lying under the boat and getting covered in removed antifoul
But I am a very small number of years younger .
Screenshot 2024-02-06 19.25.37.pngScreenshot 2024-02-06 19.30.40.png

Refueler

Visit site
I do also have a couple of small repairs to make ...

Bow and port side were scraped during storm .....

This needs sanding back and painting (repair Gel Coat)

xhULEHwl.jpg

This needs small amount of Gel to fill a couple of dings and then paint

nEnCTQyl.jpg

I have the paint - previous owner left a tin of it on board ... so Yard can do those as well.

William_H

Visit site
I would agreer that there is much to be said for paying someone to do antifouling paint. It is such a horrible job and quite likely yard can get a/f paint at a better price than you can by buying in quantity. Then of course what you spend (or waste on your boat ) is a very personal choice at our age you look at what you want to leave to others when you pass, versus getting pleasure your self out of spending. I seem to be stuck in a frugal mind set of a life time. That is just me. I would not advocate it. So yes good luck with the tradies doing the work. ol'will

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I had my 30' Dry Ice blasted. Had removed the AF manually a couple of times with help from friends and family, but the last time I promised myself NEVER AGAIN.

The price 100% depends on the work and material involved. As you can imagine every ol' hull has it's own challenges in this matter.
People you ask in the business will want to view it before giving offers, I'm sure.

Mine was done on a calm February day. I was at home but popped down to the marina to watch for a few minutes. A tarpaulin was laid down, the boat was placed on top in its (mobile) stand and off it went. The dry ice evaporates, so all the old paint was wrapped up and disposed of as hazardous waste.

The purpose was to get a clean bum and change to thin film AF (VC 17 type, SVB-branded at much lower cost). Very happy, never looked back, now giving it an AF refresh every other year.
1707281536609.png

Neeves

Visit site
Do I hear news filtering through of the death of the Practical Boat Owner.

Where do you draw the line?

Jonathan

My digital copy of PBO was introduced musically by The Last Post and a advert for a gym membership.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Quote here on the Medway. 35 Foot boat . Other sizes quoted.
£1K. Bit less for yacht bit more for MoBo.
Lift out .
Jet wash off.
Supply and Apply A/F
Relaunch.

billskip

Visit site
For so long I've been 'careful' ... doing so much work myself ... but then it was mainly the satisfaction of achieving something
My reason was simple....I didn't trust anyone else...now I dont have a choice, the bones, bending, knees, arms, and heart are all now giving me no option.

RupertW

Visit site
I last did the antifouling and scrubbing in 1983. Always been a yard since. I’m happy to do a lot on a boat but that’s my red line. Oh and engine servicing.

Refueler

Visit site
My thinking is that if Boatpark.lv do their usual good job ... using hard VC - it should give me more than just 1 year service with regular power washes ... so really if it costs me 1200 or so ... its worth it.

Momac

Visit site
If you set your mind to it and proceed carefully, it actually is possible to get used to the comfort of letting others do the worst tasks :)
Possibly
However I have a job which mostly involves a desk and a computer so some physical work doesn't deter me.