Decent shipwright at reasonable price?

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
I while back I was looking for a shipwright to carry out some cabin alterations on our Mauritius 43 and posted a request on the forum for any 'leads'.

Happy to say that I had a recommendation to contact Bob Forsyth who has a workshop at the Odessa Boat yard up at Newport IoW.

Bob gave a good quote, excellent quality of work, and also good communication through out.

When I picked up the boat on the day after Boxing day, I was so happy with the standard of work that I said I would at least give him a 'plug' on the forum!

Just to put things in context; I had had the job quoted for in Scotland where we bought the boat last winter and recieved an estimate of nearly 3 times the quote that Bob gave, and then, when I had a further quote from another shipwright from rather nearer to home, it was nearly double Bob's. And I haven't compromised on skill or quality either. 40 years of experience mean that he can do a little job like mine, or build you a timber boat from the keel up. Good traditional skills and a nice guy to deal with.

Whilst on the subject I needed to get some settee cushions made from scratch and also some canvas work (spray hood repairs, box covers etc) carried out, Bob suggested trying John Olney who has recently gone back into the business he was in some years back and also works from premisis at the Odessa BY.

All the canvas work was carried out to a very good standard and at a very reasonable price.

Both Bob and John are active yachtsmen so have a good intuative understanding of what an owner is is trying to get across!

All best Nick