Cockpit enclosure

pessimist

Visit site
Inspired by the glorious spring weather our thoughts have turned to a cockpit enclosure. We're based on the Dart. Anybody got any recommendations? If anyone has had an enclosure recently I'd be interested in the price. I know dimensions will be different but a ball park figure would be helpful. This would be a new installation so no pattern to work from

Tranona

Visit site
Anything from £3k upwards. Making one is very labour intensive, particularly if you go to town with opening sections, roll up sides and so on and the framework can be eyewateringly expensive. For your cat because of the size I would be surprised if you got quotes less than £5k

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The new canvas with see through bits for our 27ft yacht using existing hood frame, was £800 as part of a package with sails. The frame is relatively cheap as just bent steel and a few hinges. Still £3k minimum I would guess.

Depends how keen folk are for the work however. Could be less, could be more

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
About 15 years ago I had a all singing dancing one made with 25 mm stainless frame on a track, zip in windows all round matched and fitted to the spray hood on a 34 foot Vancouver made in Plymouth cost £ 3500 then. It transformed the boat.

Minerva

Visit site
Any recommendations? Yes get one. Well worth the cost.

They really are brilliant. Major thing we found advantageous was the rear un-zipping & rolling up. That way you can sit at anchor when it’s pouring down with rain and still be sat in the dry with a good unhindered view.

harvey38

Visit site
The neibouring 34' yacht had a Techsew (sp) enclosure plus other matching bits custom made, £14k 😳

ashtead

Visit site
Likewise we have one which zips to sprayhood with infill panel and zip in sides -means the top can be furled back and can be sailed with top up and add panels as required. If you like you can have mesh panels to let in breeze/keep it flies etc. as to cost we went to Tecsew who have a great website but at a price but very helpful. If based on Dart I would use a local firm though who will be able to visit and measure and discuss -a look around local marinas might show local makers badges.picture might help

Attachments

• d70ebe5d-3bc4-4b0b-82a9-cbceaa3016e0.jpeg
    d70ebe5d-3bc4-4b0b-82a9-cbceaa3016e0.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 11

MoodySabre

Visit site
When I wanted a cockpit enclosure I spoke to several firms at the boat show. Tec-Sew and C&J just offered an item from their catalogue "this is it for that boat model". I then spoke to Jeckels who said that they would come to the boat and discuss what I wanted. So I got what I wanted, mainly no fixings on the coaming top as I sit there and a frame shaped round the transom when down so it is out of the way and doesn't need assembling each time. It's 14 years ago so I have no idea what it would cost now.

ashtead

Visit site
It might be a location thing-Tecsew are sort of in Gosport -c&j in chi so maybe they are better for those in those locations -Tecsew certainly visited us in Gosport and discussed various frame set ups and such like.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It might be a location thing-Tecsew are sort of in Gosport -c&j in chi so maybe they are better for those in those locations -Tecsew certainly visited us in Gosport and discussed various frame set ups and such like.
The guys who did ours were local. We made it easy for them to visit, those photos were in East Cowes marina. They certainly won’t be heading to the west country! A small local firm will be the most reasonable. Asking around at a club could get good contacts.

andsarkit

Visit site
I used Exe Sails for a sprayhood and would recommend that you avoid them. Ordered in November and no communication all winter and suddenly fitted the day before I launched in April. It wasn't the design I wanted and had to go back for alterations as it fouled the jib sheets. Other friends have had similar experiences with them.
Sorry I can't give you a better recommendation.

johnalison

Visit site
Any recommendations? Yes get one. Well worth the cost.

They really are brilliant. Major thing we found advantageous was the rear un-zipping & rolling up. That way you can sit at anchor when it’s pouring down with rain and still be sat in the dry with a good unhindered view.
When we bought our HR in 2000 cockpit tents were very uncommon here, but they effectively give you an extra cabin. We are stuck with the original design which is perfectly fine but doesn’t allow standing without stooping which modern covers mostly have overcome, at the cost of sometimes being rather bulky.

What surprised me was how quickly it can warm up with only a little sunshine, as well as the pleasure of sitting out when it is pelting with rain outside. We have also found it indispensable on scorching hot days, with the sides and back removed for shade and ventilation. Designs vary of course, but easy access and good quality fittings are worthwhile.

magicol

Visit site
In the UK and certainly in Scotland, a cockpit tent is really good addition. As has been said, it creates another good sized room, easily heated and with plenty of windows fitted it acts like a conservatory on water. I would recommend you ask for a design that can allow the top at least to stay on the frame but rolled away into a bag attached to the frame when sailing, so much more convenient and looks better than just tying it onto the frame. We also use our top section as a bimini on those occasional days when it gets very hot whilst under way. Ours cost over £3k but we have never regretted it, we use it a lot and it has proved to be one of the best additions we have made to our boat.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Thanks a lot everyone. Looks as though a trip to the Solent might be on the cards. The only mention for the Dart area is negative and one of the alternatives is Westaway.:(
If you want Cowes Canvas, give them a ring and discuss logistics. East Cowes marina is good, they are super helpful. C.C. Are slightly space cadet ish. Good guys, but need organsing. Great work though. If you want them, it might be best if we had a chat.