Day skipper power to day skipper sail?

bradtarga34

Visit site
Not sure if the best place to ask, but ask I shall?! I have my day skipper power and looking at getting my day skipper sail as planning a sailing holiday, for something a bit different, in the Med later in the year and wondering what is involved? Not sure if you have to repeat what was covered already to get the power, or if it is a simpler affair, apart from of course knowing how those flappy things work...

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I don't think you can convert day skipper from power to sail or vice-versa. You can for Coastal and higher though deffo - http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestraining/exams/Pages/Conversionexams.aspx. If you're looking to charter then just about all the bigger companies will accept an ICC for flotilla's especially but owner's chartering their own vessel bareboat usually want day skipper plus experience - so you could either do a day skipper from scratch or just charter a boat with an instructor for a few days. Personally I'd do the latter if the ICC is adequate as you'll have a pretty good idea of close quarters handling and other basics anyway (though it won't be like having two legs hanging down :)). If you haven't already booked then consider a flotilla with Sailing Holidays or similar - you can book a skipper for the first day or two and he/she will soon give the basics . You're pretty unlikely to be the worst in the fleet even if you don't get any training at all but, if you want to wander off on your own, then a bit of training is advisable. Flotilla leader's knowledge can be invaluable too as there's a few places that go from F2/3 to F5+ in no time 'cause of geographic conditions - no problem if you're aware of it but a bit uncomfortable if you're not.

kashurst

Visit site
I did the same thing a few years ago. In the end I did a day skipper (sail) - but I did it in the Med in Spain. The theory is all the same except in the med you don't do the tidal bit unless near Gibraltar and you get 4 days actual sailing in the sunshine, which was what I really wanted to be honest.

bradtarga34

Visit site
Thanks for the info guys, but in a nutshell seems like doing the whole day skipper thing again... Was hoping it might bypass some of what was already covered in the power course, mainly the navigation/ theory. Will give Hamble a call though, thanks for the recommendation. We are booked with Sunsail in Italy in September so got a bit of time to get sorted.

Solitaire

Visit site
Thanks for the info guys, but in a nutshell seems like doing the whole day skipper thing again... Was hoping it might bypass some of what was already covered in the power course, mainly the navigation/ theory. Will give Hamble a call though, thanks for the recommendation. We are booked with Sunsail in Italy in September so got a bit of time to get sorted.

What is not clear from your original post is if you already have sailing skills, by that I mean can you sail? If you can, then why not enquire from Sunsail if they accept the ICC - I would suggest they will. If you have the sailing skills then why not add the sail part to the ICC that you can already have by virtue of your power DS?

If you can sail then go to one of the sailing schools and ask them to do a direct assesment for the sail ICC endorsement.

If you don't already possess "flappy" skills then of course you will need to do the full course, the fact you have Day Skipper power is irrelevant. I am a Yachmaster Power but would have to start at the bottom again if I wanted to convert to sail! Simply because I don't sail enough. The fact I have all the theory is only of benefit in that I don't need to do that again , I am in fact considering doing DS sail just for fun, but I know I will have to do the full 5 days.

peterandjeanette

Visit site
+1

When SWMBO and I decided to convert to the boats with big stick and lots of white flappy stuff we did the full DS for sail despite having the Yachtmaster Power.

Learned a hell of a lot and made the flotilla holidays in Greece and the bareboat charters in the Med much more enjoyable. So much so that we now have a Jeanneau SO 45 DS based in Spain. So beware. You may become a total convert, especially when sailing in the Med. It's magic. Warm weather, warm winds even warm rain when it does rain. Even the fuel for sailboats is cheaper. In fact it's free.

John100156

Visit site
Hi John

Z 423. Post as "Speedbird" on SCM chat. Saw you briefly with Mike (Hurricane) last week.
Back in SC on the 28th May for about 5 weeks. Be glad to show you around if you are back by then.

Hi Peter, yes I thought that was you! We’re out again on 3rd June, to prep the boat for our trip over to the islands. So we may see you then!

Good spirit amongst Raggies and Mobo’s in MDL-Sant Carles, long may it continue! Just a week ago we were out on the hook in the lagoon by Xiringuito’s. After an hour or so we called-up Jenny Wren on VHF, to see where she was and promptly joined them over the other side of the lagoon, only to find Griff’s yacht already rafted. I came in nice and softly STB-To to make a 3 boat raft, but it was a bit choppy as we were lashing to and Griff was worried that we might take-out one of his cleats! So we moved-off sideways and anchored off.

We then had a lot of fun and games playing on Mike’s new toy, my goodness that Jet-Ski moves, even with me on it! Had a smashing lunch about 8 of us, good company and may have consumed just a few drinks, a good day had by all!

bradtarga34

Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Have done some sailing, but wouldn't consider myself experienced. I have no problems with doing the actual practical parts, I think that is important. I just wasn't overly keen on having to go through all the theory part again in regards to navigation when I have already covered that with my DS And ICC Power, so hopefully there may be a way around that...

paul salliss

Visit site
I am in the same position, we are between boats for a few months while the new motor boat is being built, I have day skipper / motor boat.

Thought to fill the time I would learn to sail, as a change of scenery have enrolled on to a RYA course to learn to sail at Whitstable, doing RYA level 1 and 2 concurrently, decided to go back and start from the beginning as it's clearly gonna be very different, I could have learnt on a lake just down the road but. Wanted to learn in the sea, Whitstable is 40 mins away