Dartmouth Swing Mooring

Dutch01527

Visit site
I decided to move my 8.6m Dehler from Cardiff to Devon /Cornwall at the end of last year. My preferred location was Dartmouth so I applied for the waiting list and expected a few years wait before I could move there. I have just received an offer for a deep water swing mooring at Noss (Number 8) from April at £971 per year. Very pleased.

Does anyone have experience of Dartmouth mornings who could help with advice on some of the details:

1) The offer letter says that connection from the boat to the mooring bouy must be via anchor chain secured with a moused shackle to the bouy. In addition a safety line secured to the bouy via a round turn and bowline. How does this work in practice? Can a length of chain and line be left secured to the bouy and be picked up arrival? On the swing mooring bouy is there a swivel ?
2)For understandable reasons a local agent must be appointed to respond if there is a emergency and a list has been given. Any recommendation?
3) Any ideas or tips for parking and boat access options?
4) Would leaving the boat in the water most of the year be feasible/safe?

I will ask the Harbour Authority as well but would appreciate any direct experienc.

Thanks

Fimacca

Visit site
Good ! Lovely spot.
We looked at the dart this year, but opted instead for plymouth. I find myself in the dart 10 times a year......anyway.
Lovely sail up the river. I often winter in totnes. great little town.
I love dittisham for the evening with a few pints and a sing song in the pub, the FBI. Visitor moorings if you are early......

Access is difficult with parking unless you use noss marina. Its all country lanes and restricted parking. There is parking near kingswear but you then you have to get a dinghy afloat.
Try royal dart YC. They have a dinghy rack and the membership is not too bad. You have dartmouth YC on the other side.

Leaving the boat in is fine there. Nicely sheltered.

Contact me if you want a bleather about the area. You will be paying mooring fees and harbour dues I would think......

Moodysailor

Visit site
Hi, we are at Noss also, on the pontoons. Not local so can't comment on the local contacts but regarding parking and access - if it's a Noss mooring then you will be able to use their facilities for parking and tender storage/launching. Every Noss river mooring comes with a spot in the dinghy rack.
I really like the marina there, far enough away from the busy river traffic to be peaceful, but only a short dinghy ride if you want to pop to either side of the river.
Enjoy, and welcome to the Dart.

Stemar

Visit site
The easiest way to set up the chain is probably to attach it as instructed and have it long enough to reach through the bow roller and to the centre cleat/Samson post, with an eye made so you can just drop it over the post. Now attach a lump of chunky polyprop line to the shckle that forms the eye - not the lightweight rubbish B&Q sells (other purveyors of crap are available...) - that's long enough to reach the surface comfortably when the chain's dangling from the buoy and attach a pickup buoy. An optional couple of feet of lightweight polyprop attached to the pickup buoy with a little float on the end will facilitate picking it all up when the wind and tide don't cooperate.

Robi

Visit site
I am also returning to the Dart this year having been offered a Dartnav pontoon berth at Kingswear after a few years on the lists (again!). I'd recommend Steve Kilpatrick at Mainstay Yacht Maintenance as a local agent and all round good guy.

andsarkit

Visit site
I'm on a swinging mooring further up river. The buoys have a top swivel ring with a steel rod through the buoy to the riser chain. You need a chain long enough for the loop on the end to drop over your cleat. I found a fairly short chain was best because if longer and in wind against tide the buoy could rub against and mark the topsides. A V shaped bow fender might help here.
The small rope to the pick up buoy needs to be as long as the chain so that the buoy is not dragged under by the weight of the chain.
I tie my back up rope to the chain loop when I leave the mooring so they both come up on deck together.
Above all enjoy the Dart.

Dutch01527

Visit site
Thanks all, that makes perfect sense.

My instinct is to have a very strong, mooring line as the primary link to the mooring bouy and the chain as a secondary. That would seem to offer less chance of GRP damage whilst still offering chain protection as a but might be frowned upon by the Dart Authorities who indicated the other way around.

I will talk to their moorings officer and ask if that set up is acceptable and safe.

andsarkit

Visit site
I'm sure that would work fine but you might find that the rope will chafe and need replacing more often. Another poster with a mooring up river has gone with a polysteel rope to reduce wear.
Polysteel
Harbour staff are always helpful if you ask them.

Stemar

Visit site
The guy who maintains my mooring is a great fan of chain rather than rope because it takes a LOT longer for chain to wear through. In the wrong conditions, rope can chafe to breaking point in a few hours. I take the chain over the bow roller and drop the eye over my Samson post, and I've never had any damage from it

Hermit

Visit site
Run the chain through some flexible water pipe at the points you think it might chafe the boat fittings. This will protect the boat.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
If you get mooring lines made up by Westward Wire and Rope in Exeter they put a plastic tube over the whole length except for the finished ends. Mine are 24mm nylon multiplait
They usually have some ready made ones in stock. Also a great place to browse and buy a selection of stainless screws, nuts and bolts etc, all at reasonable prices.