Customs off in Brest

robertj

Visit site
Does anyone know where you can get stamped out in Brest, is it close to a Marina etc?
Thanks in advance.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
It‘s 5 minutes walk from the Marina du Chateau. On the aptly named Quai de la Douane. Alternatively, about 25 mins from the Moulin du Blanc marina. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Closes on Friday pm so, if you arrive after that, you get a couple of free Schengen days before your first stamp in opportunity on the Monday.

For the same reason, don’t plan to stamp out on the weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obi

Amlov

Visit site
Last year we were able to stamp out on the pontoons on a Sunday. You need to ask for an appointment on the pontoon. They have staff on duty over the weekend, it is just the office that is shut.

robertj

Visit site
Last year we were able to stamp out on the pontoons on a Sunday. You need to ask for an appointment on the pontoon. They have staff on duty over the weekend, it is just the office that is shut.
how do you contact them?

robertj

Visit site
It‘s 5 minutes walk from the Marina du Chateau. On the aptly named Quai de la Douane. Alternatively, about 25 mins from the Moulin du Blanc marina. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Closes on Friday pm so, if you arrive after that, you get a couple of free Schengen days before your first stamp in opportunity on the Monday.

For the same reason, don’t plan to stamp out on the weekend.
Ask at the marina where their office is I presume?

oldvarnish

Visit site
Be aware that the Brest customs officers also service the airport and there are quite long periods of the day when you willnot be able to get your passport stamped.
Just missed convenient tides after a three hour wait.

yoda

Visit site
Being a bit pedantic, but that's an immigration form. Customs deals with controlling and taxing goods on the way in to a country and are not generally worried about people. Customs will take your pork pies, but they won't stop you entering the country.
True, But you still need to complete the form and take it to the office if it is your first port of call.

lustyd

Visit site
For immigration purposes, yes. A customs officer may also decide to pay you a visit and check your lockers for contraband and tax/duty collection

Slowboat35

Visit site
This whole business seems very unclear.
Finding an address for sending Preavis forms is next to impossible at most ports I've looked at.
"Port police" and "Customs" seem to be used interchangeably in these discussions - will either do the stamping of passports? (because Customs are often a lot easier to find than Port Police), as at Boulogne for instance where despite being a Port of Entry there are no Port Police closer than Calais but there is a Douanerie.

lustyd

Visit site
It's the PAF (police aux frontières) you need, or sometimes Douanes. I've found them helpful and friendly and they have stamped our passports without forms being submitted.
Customs officers at some ports will also do immigration procedures out of convenience since they're already there, but customs is not immigration.

stranded

Visit site
True, But you still need to complete the form and take it to the office if it is your first port of call.
Is that a new thing? Last year and this May we just swanned in with our papers and no mention was made of the Preavis - iirc we were told explicitly last September that Brest didn’t do pre-notification - but I often don’t rc!

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Is that a new thing? Last year and this May we just swanned in with our papers and no mention was made of the Preavis - iirc we were told explicitly last September that Brest didn’t do pre-notification - but I often don’t rc!
Same in Dieppe. This year & last.
And in Cherbourg, although I’d completed an online form (May last year), I was asked to fill out a paper version, when I stamped in, as they couldn’t access the on line forms. Even though I could show a copy, of the on line form, on my phone.
Rolling up, with ships papers & passport, seems fine with the officers on the ground.

Last edited:

Amlov

Visit site
I’ll let tHe forum know how it works out.
Not sure how you got on, but for information the office is open Monday-Friday 08:00-16:00 and Saturday 08:00-12:00. We sent the Previs form in and asked for an appointment, they suggested a time and when we turned up everything ran smoothly. The only thing they wanted to check was that we were heading directly to the UK and not up to Roscoff (where we had entered).