Crash, bang, whallop.... Oops!....Low bridge!

VicS

Visit site
As far as one can tell from the photos it looks very much like an older type of Plastimo system. Some close up photos may help to positively identify it.
You can even see the special bent shackle for the halyard,on the swivel. That convinces me that it is a Plastimo.

William_H

Visit site
Not much comment on the foil. However I would say that at 23 ft it would be marginal if not foolish to try to climb the mast. The boat will not have enough stability when on water and your weight up there. So yes it is time to organise properly for mast lowering. Assuming you have a hinged mast base. Yes you must have either an A frame or gin pole to give good geometry to the tackle that lowers the mast. Any attempt without will be disastrous. Control of sideways swing is important but may be done by using a man on the cabin roof. Be wary of rolling the boat with people movement. (Nigel will tell you about that). If you get really organised and proficient You will be able to lower the mast on the run to traverse under that pesky bridge. Lots of detail omn this forum re self mast lowering.

Refueler

Visit site
As William says - I have sorted for my boat ... same as many others around the world. I have a pair of metal tube poles specifically for the job and use the mainsheets as the 'block - tackle' for lowering.

I was going to connect poles to chainplates - but then decided to be kind to the boat by having wood blocks. The blocks are positioned and long stub bar goes through chainplates to prevent blocks sliding ..

dDxjrUtl.jpg

The poles have a single bolt through heads and can be separated for carrying on side decks. I do intend to reduce the blocks size !!

I have tried various such as vertical post on the stemhead - that ended up over a few operations bending !

VVbUj7il.jpg

Q1EdCfEl.jpg

I have tried 'gin pole' but that needs careful control with guy lines to stop it swinging to side as mast lowers ... the fwd lowering line does not stop it .. I was close to having mast damaged when I tried the 'gin pole'.

With the A frame .. you can do the operation single-handed .. I have often. If you have a helper as you see in video - make sure they understand NOT to walk about !!

I have the same furler as OP ...

OK ... 23ft boat ? My son and I used to lower and raise the mast on my 23ft Snapdragon without any A frame etc. The boat had the older tabernacle with sides .. instead of the blade and U fitting of the boat in video.
If OP has the tabernacle - then with care couple of people can lower / raise mast .. 3 if you really want safety !! But care to not move about.

lustyd

Visit site
stop it swinging to side as mast lowers
It depends to some extent on the tabernacle. It looks as though yours is the smaller kind (although hard to see in the pics). The one I had and that OP has have large plates a foot or so up either side of the mast with a 12mm bolt right through to pivot on and another to lock it off. This setup held the mast very well in the centre and although it did wiggle along its length a little it never went sideways even unsupported. I've also used a less substantial one previously and would be far more careful in that instance as you say. I never used poles or frames for lowering as it was so secure, and with one end fixed it was possible to walk it back and just hold the weight.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
… Any ideas on how to replace the foil on the forestay for a Halcyon 23? I believe I can release the forestay by easing pressure on the backstay by loosing the nuts whilst also rigging up a rope to tie to the anchor cleats and to the mast to hold the mast in place. Will I also need to detach the whole furling system from the top of the mast to drop the dented foil down so that I can remove and replace it? Any ideas on costs I could be facing?

Last year my furling system was changed with the mast up, on the water, pontoon berth, by a rigger. This year my rigging was replaced on the water by the same rigger. Hence, it can be done safely and efficiently but it needs careful planning. In my case, 41’ boat, mainsail was left on the boom, the furling system was jammed aloft, and the genoa halyard had to released from the top swivel by bosuns chair, then the furling genoa lowered to the deck.

Good luck.

Refueler

Visit site
It depends to some extent on the tabernacle. It looks as though yours is the smaller kind (although hard to see in the pics). The one I had and that OP has have large plates a foot or so up either side of the mast with a 12mm bolt right through to pivot on and another to lock it off. This setup held the mast very well in the centre and although it did wiggle along its length a little it never went sideways even unsupported. I've also used a less substantial one previously and would be far more careful in that instance as you say. I never used poles or frames for lowering as it was so secure, and with one end fixed it was possible to walk it back and just hold the weight.

My Alacrity and Snapdragon had as you describe - with the high side cheeks and two bolt fixing. I agree that it helps to keep mast straight as it lowers / raises ... but care si still needed.

I watched a guy with similar mast get askew and he did bend the mast where it exits the side plates. But still - I wish I had that system on the boat in video .. but I cannot as the mast has fixed through mast roller ... winch and cleats too low.

The blade / U mast fitting did fail ... I posted on here about it and also the repairs ... most likely due to age ... its all from early 70's.

2EHND5cl.jpg

N8E3Xmgl.jpg

Repaired :

5QePNQZl.jpg

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site

NewbieNelson

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments so far folks, I will be taking the advice you have given me and I will be lowering the mast on to an A frame that I will put together. I am not gonna do this yet as I want to move the boat out of Cardiff Marina to her new berth in Uphill, Somerset first. I plan on motoring across the Bristol Channel at some point this month when I get a calm day and good tides. I have had to replace the water pump with a standalone electric pump after seeing the pump that is a direct replacement is around £500 and like rocking horse s***. So I will be running the girl in Cardiff Marina for a few hours to check engine is being cooled and not over heating before I set out across the channel. Once she is in her new home then I will look at replacing the pump with an original part. The engine is a reconditioned Yanmar YSM, so I may even go for a newer engine fitting at a later date.

My next question, where do I buy new sections for the foil? Are they pretty standard and cut to fit? I assume I will have to take note of the track that the cars connected to the genoa run up? Anywhere that specializes in secondhand boat parts particularly for my Halcyon 23?

She's a pretty little boat and I am happy spending money on her even though I will never recuperate the money back. She is my practice boat before I finally upgrade in a few years when I retire and go off to cruise the world.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Anywhere that specializes in secondhand boat parts particularly for my Halcyon 23?
Basically, Offshore Yachts no longer exist. But the concept of "parts" is wrong anyway. Offshore would buy standard parts from makers of spars etc., so that's what you look for. It's not like cars, or even close.

There is an Offshore Yachts Owners Association that would give you more help than most of us can. My dad owned a Halcyon 27, and but the two Halcyons aren't similar.

But forget the concept of standard parts. Your boat has already had substantial modifications to the rig, and it would be unlikely that it stops there.

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments so far folks, I will be taking the advice you have given me and I will be lowering the mast on to an A frame that I will put together. I am not gonna do this yet as I want to move the boat out of Cardiff Marina to her new berth in Uphill, Somerset first. I plan on motoring across the Bristol Channel at some point this month when I get a calm day and good tides. I have had to replace the water pump with a standalone electric pump after seeing the pump that is a direct replacement is around £500 and like rocking horse s***. So I will be running the girl in Cardiff Marina for a few hours to check engine is being cooled and not over heating before I set out across the channel. Once she is in her new home then I will look at replacing the pump with an original part. The engine is a reconditioned Yanmar YSM, so I may even go for a newer engine fitting at a later date.

My next question, where do I buy new sections for the foil? Are they pretty standard and cut to fit? I assume I will have to take note of the track that the cars connected to the genoa run up? Anywhere that specializes in secondhand boat parts particularly for my Halcyon 23?

She's a pretty little boat and I am happy spending money on her even though I will never recuperate the money back. She is my practice boat before I finally upgrade in a few years when I retire and go off to cruise the world.

The 608 uses same as the 406 and other Plastimo of that series. The foils should be interchangeable.

Do you have the manual ? If not - then I can 'Dropbox' it for you ..

NewbieNelson

Visit site
I went to the boat yesterday and can confirm that I have a Plastimo 608s. I have also sourced a few places to get the spares I need. I reckon I will need maybe 2 sections at the most to be replaced, so I shall do that once I have her in her new home at Uphill marina.

Thank you for your help guys,

Happy Travels :)

ashtead

Visit site
Once you get the mast down you might find other bits that need replacing . Clearly if you are worried about process a sling/strop round the spreaders from a simple road crane works well. The crane takes weight while you undo bottle screws etc and then carries mast to lay ashore for simple working where any new bits less likely to end up in marina depths. 🤣we used to lower a centaur mast like this annually.