Craft movement whilst tied up - A Question?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to show the large heavy anchor on the bow roller. :rolleyes:
Yeah, exactly. We have encountered that exact difficulty once this year. Strong ebb, south eaterly wind, overhanging boat with ‘go forth and multiply‘ ground tackle hanging off the front. We got through, but I put my bicycle clips on first.

Reactions: DJE

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Parking a boat selfishly as you describe - ie not leaving room for a third boat - is very irritating.

Hard for you to get self-righteously annoyed IMO

If you also use finger pontoons you must be used to mooring to a finger shorter than the boat, so saying you have to do this to position lines sounds a bit feeble.

Having said that, I do not like anyine interfering with my lines if I am not there. The answer is to always moor as considerately as possible.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I tend to agree with others about landing in a decent space and then tightening up either by going forward to the end of the pontoon or back to the other boat, either way leaving another landing zone for someone else.

Being a small boat, I am used to leaving her tied up alongside a pontoon and coming back to find I have been moved outside of a larger boat. Its just boating. TBH often being single-handed its quite a nice way to meet new people and be sociable.

What? I would go nuts if I was alongside then came back to find I had been rafted up outside another boat.

That is most certainly not acceptable behaviour anywhere I have ever berthed.

- W

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
What? I would go nuts if I was alongside then came back to find I had been rafted up outside another boat.

That is most certainly not acceptable behaviour anywhere I have ever berthed.

- W

I’m with Phil, here. When I had a wooden 18 footer this often happened and I was grateful because the alternative of being the runt of a litter of seven 30-40 footers one outside another was not nice at all (this actually happened in Ramsgate outer harbour, once - I « made my excuses and left » and came back on the outside).

Strangely, it never happens now?

Wansworth

Visit site
For a whileIkepta boat at Littlehampton and ourneighbour on the inside of a raft of four boats would come down when the flood had started and let go all the lines ofthe boats outside of him ,they on the flood allwhizzed round to his stern and tied them all to the pontoon behind then set off.Hehad done it before

Abestea

Visit site
Thank you to all that have answered, it has been really interesting to see the different takes on the situation. I tried to be as generic as possible as there are a myriad of factors that could affect the situation.

I chiefly wanted to see if you got annoyed or not if someone moved your boat. I was surprised that quite a few seemed happy to have their boat moved forward so another boat could berth in-between, even if this meant their boat might overhang the edge of the pontoon. I was happy to be moved but would have rather been moved back to 3 feet from the other boat and the new arrival go in front of me. This would have given them plenty of space ahead to moor rather than shoe horning in between two boats.

In the end it was all pleasant, I had arrived back just after they had tied up and within ten minutes i had unloaded our gear and pack it into the car and was on my way to my mooring ball to leave the boat till next time. On the way home my partner asked if I was annoyed at having the boat moved as she was a bit, but I said I was ok with it as the had tied the boat up properly and no harm was done.

Was I selfish? Perhaps, but that's the call I made at the time and I stand by it!

Wansworth

Visit site
Had boats bash my boat obviously by error and certainly no need to get all upset,had one run into me,my boat was Steel,did more damage to him than me and he seemed to be miffed that I didn’t get uptight…..insurance paid forthe slipping?.Nobody damages an other yacht on purpose .

ribdriver

Visit site
Always look at these things from the other persons point of view - they turn up and see the space as you have described it. You are not there yourself to move you own boat. What are they meant to do? Float around until you return so you can move your boat? Raft alongside, which seems a bit crazy given there clearly was enough space for 3 boats, or move one or both the moored boats a little so all 3 can fit in?
If you are going to take up more space than your boat really needs and then go ashore, you cannot (should not) be annoyed if someone moves your boat to make space.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Had boats bash my boat obviously by error and certainly no need to get all upset,had one run into me,my boat was Steel,did more damage to him than me and he seemed to be miffed that I didn’t get uptight…..insurance paid forthe slipping?.Nobody damages an other yacht on purpose .

I was moored alongside on the end of the outside pontoon of the marina in Bénodet several years back, we were only staying the night and I didn't want the faff of going into the marina. The tide runs fairly strongly! All was well and we were sitting in the cockpit with a drink before going into town for something to eat when a Frenchman in a small motorboat whizzed by to turn around the corner and undoing so clouted the quarter of the boat, no great problem as I had tendered the outside of the boat in anticipation, he them came back to wave his apologies and repeated the performance. I told him not to bother apologising again.