Cowes Water Taxi Prices

CondorAA5A

Visit site
Doing the RTI at the weekend and we were berthed on Pontoon E in the river. Single fare to/from Town Quay was £3, but on Sunday at 8:30am because it was before 9:00am was suddenly £5 which felt like a total rip off.

Given that the majority of yachts berthed there were in the RTI, most had five or six crew on board, so we spent more on taxi fares than the pontoon mooring.

You would think during a special event they might have a special rate.

mainsail1

Visit site
It would be nice if the RTIR organisers did a deal with the water taxis and included a free return taxi fare for every crew member in the price of the entry.

lw395

Visit site
It would be nice if the RTIR organisers did a deal with the water taxis and included a free return taxi fare for every crew member in the price of the entry.

Those of us who never go into Cowes on RTIR weekend don't want to pay your taxi bill.
The whole economy of launches and water taxis is complex.
In many places they have to make a mint on regatta weekend to keep going through the year.

Hayling

Visit site
From the Folly to Cowes was £10 return, crew of 7, £70 of kitty beer money!
Naturally we still went but might look at mooring in town next year so Follies
loss and very little buzz and atmosphere, poor music, a lot fewer boats rafted up,
quiet even in town, Corries chippy restaurant empty!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
From the Folly to Cowes was £10 return, crew of 7, £70 of kitty beer money!
I would have approached the problem another way and send one member of the crew to buy the beer with the £60 you saved on taxi fare.

I know of no water taxi that charges one price for a whole crew, do aircraft charge per person or per crew?

Yealm

Visit site
Falmouth water taxi was also £5 each way per person - short ride to nearby swing mooring. And variable finish time - from 5pm to 10pm on different nights - I was caught out badly!

Compared to amazing Yealm water taxi - I was given a free beer during the journey yesterday!!

ashtead

Visit site
Clearly looking for ways to recoup all the millions lost on the chain ferry repairs for visitors during the RTI . Many visitors to Haslar for the RTI last Friday night so might be cheaper to sample the culinary delights of Gosport next year .

Muddy32

Visit site
Dartmouth have halved the cost to £12.50 for 20 tickets, and also extended their hours 0800- 2300.
Supply and demand and also safety improved.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
Doing the RTI at the weekend and we were berthed on Pontoon E in the river. Single fare to/from Town Quay was £3, but on Sunday at 8:30am because it was before 9:00am was suddenly £5 which felt like a total rip off.

Given that the majority of yachts berthed there were in the RTI, most had five or six crew on board, so we spent more on taxi fares than the pontoon mooring.

You would think during a special event they might have a special rate.

Send one crew to get the boat and then pick up the others at a drop off / pick up pontoon?

robertj

Visit site
Falmouth water taxi was also £5 each way per person - short ride to nearby swing mooring. And variable finish time - from 5pm to 10pm on different nights - I was caught out badly!

Compared to amazing Yealm water taxi - I was given a free beer during the journey yesterday!!

Falmouth and Fowey water taxis are expensive. I was there a couple weekends ago and there was annoyance of some of their customers. Fowey used to be good value but prices have gone up.

lw395

Visit site
Fowey now costs twice as mch to go halfway across the river as it costs to go all the way.

The Boddinic ferry is cheaper if three people take a car with them.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
so might be cheaper to sample the culinary delights of Gosport next year .

Sorry. I really don't understand this. What does this mean?

Are there any culinary delights in Gosport? The Sultan grill is about 3/4 mile away but, even after living near Gosport for 50 years, I'm still short of knowing any establishment that produces culinary delights there.

Anyone care to suggest...

Hayling

Visit site
Very sorry to hear the Folly may be closing,
It has it's issues but location is not one of them!

If i sent one crew member to get beer,
I would never see him again!

That's we we all stick together, mutual support!