could this work as a plan for next couple of decades?

Marceline

Visit site
Hi I've been reading various posts (VAT, EU rules and more) and they've been very helpful in trying to figure things out with how I'm hoping to plan the next few years ahead, and I just wanted to check if these seem doable.

I'm currently learning to sail to Day Skipper level (hopefully have that early in 2023) and plan to carry on for further courses. I'm about to turn 53, UK resident, but very much wanting to move away. Obvs with the whole 'B' upheavals this is a lot trickier. My initial plan was to hopefully relocate/residence in Portugal (and still wound love to), but I think realistically moving to Ireland looks a lot more sense to hopefully become a citizen there and get an EU passport (seems possible after 5 years evidence of residency). But I love Ireland so this would be a wonderful plan, and hopefully in the next 5 years to come I can sail over to other EU countries for short breaks within the 90/180 days rule. Hopefully be based on the West Coast and maybe live aboard in Summer or in a small apartment and sail/explore Ireland. I've parents living in UK so I might still come back here for few months at a time (winter etc), but have yet to figure out things.

Also as I get more experienced I'm hoping to sail over to Norway via Scotland / Orkney / Shetland for some summers. Again thinking of the 90 days rule when I get to Norway.

I'm lucky in that I work from home online and hoping to keep on with that. Would prefer to work for an Irish company when I move there, but again I'm still figuring things out. I'm currently full time but there is possibilities of contract work for as/when I might want to go for longer trips (such as Norway or France for sub 90days etc)

From what I've read (and some people have suggested on previous posts where I've asked similar questions) re: VAT and being a UK resident at the mo when I relocate having a UK VAT paid/SSR registered boat might be the most straightforwards approach (especially for the trips to Norway via Scotland idea). My boat is a currently a small 24' day sailer which is perfect for where I am with sailing abiities, but likely when I hopefully move to Ireland I'll look for a 38'+ or so boat for liveaboarding (something like a Nauticat or Southerly) with a pilothouse for those days where the weather's not great, and hopefully a boat that is up to the kind of trips I'm hoping to take.

If I manage to gain Irish citizenship I'd hopefully then like to travel further in the EU etc, but obvs theres a lot I need to sort before then.

my hope is to then sail further afield and visit places out of the EU for a few years once I've retired but still have a base in Ireland and eventually return there - so I guess that's about a 20 year plan (if I'm lucky enough to still be alive/healthy enough to sail etc)

Does this seem a doable plan or am I missing some crucial things ?

Last edited:

Dino

Visit site
I’m not sure about the residency rules for Ireland but I know that there is a huge housing shortage here at the moment. This has driven prices through the roof.
The west coast is a fantastic cruising ground in good summer weather but it can be an unforgiving place outside summer. For a decent community, Dingle, Kilrush or Galway would be great locations.
What industry do you work in? And what role?

Marceline

Visit site
thanks Dino and tbh thats one of the reasons why was thinking/hoping living aboard might be a way to not add to housing woes - If I can manage about 8-9mmonths on the boat and maybe head back to parents in UK for the worst of the winter months. Or maybe rent a small place if I struggle with fulltime liveaboarding

I work as a web developer so that's a job which has some wiggle room re: remote working - I'm with a UK company at the moment and they have people from all over the world working with us so in theory I could stay with them and stil relocate (again, its' something I'll have to figure out)

I'd love to explore Ireland and visit island communities as well as the places like Galway. Hopefully find places I like and put down roots eventually

billskip

Visit site
I could be wrong on here, maybe the way I interpret your post.
If you get Irish passport I dont think you will be restricted to 90/180.
If you want UK SSR you should live in UK (northern Ireland? )
If you take a UK tax paid boat to the EU you may have to pay EU tax.
Hopefully someone will correct if I'm wrong.
Anyways getting Irish passport is the best way to go I think, but maybe there is a schengen problem?

Marceline

Visit site
Hi and yes I did put prob too much info in the post. What I was mostly descibing is moving to Ireland and trying to be based there for 5+ years and hopefully then be able to apply for Irish Citizenship.

So most of what I was asking about (the UK VAT paid SRR boat and idea for longer trips to Norway once I've more experience sailing) was over that 5year+ time. I guess I'd still need an address in UK for that (hopefully it would work for my Parents' address but am not sure). Hopefully the sails to/from Scotland would reset the clock for the 18months rule for a UK boat in EU waters

Long term plan is to move to Ireland permanently, but my plan for initial 5 years or so is to be a liveaboard there

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
Hi and yes I did put prob too much info in the post. What I was mostly descibing is moving to Ireland and trying to be based there for 5+ years and hopefully then be able to apply for Irish Citizenship.

So most of what I was asking about (the UK VAT paid SRR boat and idea for longer trips to Norway once I've more experience sailing) was over that 5year+ time. I guess I'd still need an address in UK for that (hopefully it would work for my Parents' address but am not sure). Hopefully the sails to/from Scotland would reset the clock for the 18months rule for a UK boat in EU waters

Long term plan is to move to Ireland permanently, but my plan for initial 5 years or so is to be a liveaboard there
I love Ireland aswell, I lived there for a while many moons ago, but didn't take up residence/citizenship (silly me).
However if you plan to live on your boat in Erie and become a tax resident I think your boat will then become liable for EU vat.
It has been mentioned that Irish registration for the boat and flying the tricolour is possible a better way than SSR, for SSR it would be a good idea if you Googled the requirements for UK SSR, as I think you need proof of residence as opposed to just an address.
Northern Ireland will give you the Irish passport and may also be ideal for SSR and UK vat, but that depends if you want to live in the north.

ean_p

Visit site

I think that in order to gain citizenship within 5 years then you will need to remain in ireland for the whole period, that is to say no trips abroad. In any case you must achieve 5 years within the country within a 9 year period in order to apply and the whole year prior to application has to be spent within Ireland and be , as it all must be provable.
I think time spent in the North is only counted if you are married to or living with an irish national. In which case the overall time requirments are reduced to 3 years......maybe get hunting !
Full details here..... Becoming an Irish citizen through naturalisation

Marceline

Visit site
thanks for the replies and thats helpful info thanks (y)

A Tricolour flagged boat would great also (tbh whatever works best really) and I guess that would be helpful for the proof I'll need to start collectiong for the application. I guess I need to think about an Irish bank account as well - think that won't be easy. Maybe I should think about trying to rent a place initially to get established

Dino

Visit site
An option would be to buy an EU Vat paid boat in Ireland, France, Spain, etc. Then you would have no VAT issues.
There isn’t a big Liveaboard scene here in Ireland. There are some living on the Inland Waterways but that might not suit you and there are issues with availability of power, toilets and showers during winter as Waterways Ireland close them in winter. Some people go to private marinas.
You’d want to check out insurance also. Some insurers do not cover wintering afloat especially on the West Coast.

Dino

Visit site
The other alternative is to move to Ireland and live somewhere that you like but has access to the sea. Buy a boat to start coastal cruising and build up your knowledge, experience and qualifications. Cork would be a great option and SailCork offer a great range of courses. Then move onboard for the summer and do some cruising and work from the boat when it suits.

Marceline

Visit site
(y)this sounds a sensible plan. Maybe I could then work up to liveaboarding if it seems viable, but will have a solid beginning for all the complex legal things

Thanks Dino

Bilgediver

Visit site
You mentioned the Norway 90 day rule. DO not forget the Norway is not in the EU and only complies with about 20% of its rules. Moreover it has other rules of its own. Some friends of mine took their yacht there some years ago and then discovered that there were particular rules that applied to the boat. One was that it could only remain in Norway for a specific period before VAT was required to be paid. This was a problem as they wanted to leave the boat there over winter and return the next year.

If you do find a way of leaving it there remember you have to re enter it into Norway the following year to restart the clock. There were at that time specific entry ports.