Coronavirus and Greece

Cariadco

Visit site
Tomorrow eve, me, the missus & the Mutt begin our long drive back to Blighty, for a month (Minoan to Ancona).
I'll report on what I find, but I guess most people would be more interested on the journey back, ie UK to Corfu.

AndrewB

Visit site
Are there any reports of incoming tourists actually being put into quarantine on arrival in Greece?

The threat was, you could be put in quarantine not only if you tested positive but also if anyone on your flight did. The last thing I want is to go out to check my boat and then be stuck in solitary confinement for a week or two, But because the Greek govt has offered to pay for quarantine, I have this suspicion that testing will be skimped.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I was on the ferry yesterday 50 -100 Bulgarian lorry drivers on the boat because their border is close to being closed.
Drove off the boat 1st. No check of passport had a police motorbike by the side of me rushing me through the gates without a check up.
I only hope I am okay as few on board were wearing masks. I advise staying at home this will turn out bad.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Are there any reports of incoming tourists actually being put into quarantine on arrival in Greece?

The threat was, you could be put in quarantine not only if you tested positive but also if anyone on your flight did. The last thing I want is to go out to check my boat and then be stuck in solitary confinement for a week or two, But because the Greek govt has offered to pay for quarantine, I have this suspicion that testing will be skimped.
I don't see how testing can be other than random only based on the pfl submitted. Even if Greece has the number of tourists reduced by half. That is still around 12 million tests if absolute security is demanded. That is absolutely impossible. Recall how long it took UK to test 100,000 people. Greece has to risk a probable epidemic to a certain financial disaster. They must take the risk because they have no choice. Tourists must understand that. Travel or stay at home.

grumpygit

Visit site
I don't see how testing can be other than random only based on the pfl submitted. Even if Greece has the number of tourists reduced by half. That is still around 12 million tests if absolute security is demanded. That is absolutely impossible. Recall how long it took UK to test 100,000 people. Greece has to risk a probable epidemic to a certain financial disaster. They must take the risk because they have no choice. Tourists must understand that. Travel or stay at home.

I totally agree.
A friend flew to Greece yesterday via Zurich, no tests done in either Zurich or Athens. It's impossible to test all and sundry and even more impossible to do the lab work and then have to contact the infected.
We had the test done at Patras port, we've then done a 7 day self quarantine and now been out. At Corinth very few train passengers with masks.In Epidavros, I saw no one with masks, In Lygourio I saw 2 in the supermarket with masks one under the chin.
Unless you are a person that tends to be of paranoid thinking, and you do want to travel and you allowed to travel then the risk is all down to the individual. The Clash song fits the scenario . . . . . . Should I Stay or Should I Go;)

I only hope I am okay as few on board were wearing masks. I advise staying at home this will turn out bad.

Very definite statement. Can I ask why you didn't follow your own advice and stay at home?
If your that worried you should be doing a fourteen day self quarantine to stave of the risk of spreading what you may have possibly caught from the Bulgarian truckers

alexsailor

Visit site
Please, do not worry about covid19. It is a NWO and we, sailors do not fit in! Enjoy Greece. It is not as empty as I thought it would be but it is just perfect! We spent several days in Pera Pigadi Ithaca. Ussualy strong NW in the evening but perfect nature. Got some fishes, one crab... 62CEE06F-0C65-46CC-A6DF-1EE0572931D1.jpeg

tchierici

Visit site
I am due to fly Bristol to Athens on August 7th, with threats of another ban on UK flights into Greece due to ramping up of cases I am thinking plan B, flying in via Italy. How feasible is that?

Yngmar

Visit site
Spotted our first flottilla this morning. Looks like the quiet season is over!

Peeked into Lakka in the afternoon, the usual overcrowded zoo, and smelly! Why is that place so popular? There's plenty of turquoise waters around.

Definitely got a lot busier since we first arrived.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I totally agree.
A friend flew to Greece yesterday via Zurich, no tests done in either Zurich or Athens. It's impossible to test all and sundry and even more impossible to do the lab work and then have to contact the infected.
We had the test done at Patras port, we've then done a 7 day self quarantine and now been out. At Corinth very few train passengers with masks.In Epidavros, I saw no one with masks, In Lygourio I saw 2 in the supermarket with masks one under the chin.
Unless you are a person that tends to be of paranoid thinking, and you do want to travel and you allowed to travel then the risk is all down to the individual. The Clash song fits the scenario . . . . . . Should I Stay or Should I Go;)

Very definite statement. Can I ask why you didn't follow your own advice and stay at home?
If your that worried you should be doing a fourteen day self quarantine to stave of the risk of spreading what you may have possibly caught from the Bulgarian truckers
Because I believed the b s. once I was here I saw differently,
I will try and keep myself to myself in Porto Rafti.
Once I was off the ferry, I have not been close to anyone and am alone on my boat .and on the ferry I did not sit stand or talk to anyone close.
But others were mingling as if there was not a remote chance of catching anything.
After 10 to 14 days I will either be ok or dead at 70 years old.

Hellpants

Visit site
I flew into Athens via Amsterdam from Cape Town on an eu repatriation flight on 21 June. I was like the only tourist in the country at that point. The only people wearing masks are the restaurant staff. I’ve been wearing mine in any social situation. Folks see, to be getting on with life here. I did my skippers ticket last week and the islands were empty. We could moor/ anchor anywhere. I’m currently in aktio trying to get my boat ready in a rush. One to get sailing and two to avoid a potential lockdown In the future on the hard.
I was tested in Athens on arrival, made my way to my boat and essentially self isolated for two week whilst getting jobs done.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Backwoodsman

Visit site
This may be of interest to anyone contemplating traveling overland to Greece via Bulgaria.
On Tuesday morning I had swabs taken at a commercial lab in a small town in NE Bulgaria . (www.ramuslab.com. Cost BG Lev 100.
On Wednesday morning I drove to a town en route to the Greek border, Blagoevgrad. The Ramuslab there was easy to find, adjacent to the main hospital. They printed off the test results and gave them to me in under 15 minutes.
At the hotel that night I filled in the Greek online application, Protocols for Arrival in Greece , travel.gov.gr
Note : Have all of your documents to hand, including zip code for destination address ( not on yard business card or yard website , in my case !)
After dinner checked my e-mail and there was a confirmation of receipt of form. And so to bed.
Early next morning I checked my e-mail and the approval to travel was there.
Drove the approx. 90Kms to the main and only open crossing point at Kadzali, a place I normally avoid because of the heavy HGV traffic. The Bulgarian control was basically deserted, so on to the Greek side.
Approaching the crossing, after passing a lot of lorries, in the que on the RHS, I decided to start counting them. As the relatively small line of cars drew near to the checkpoint, the number of HGV’s was just over 250. At this point there were HGV drivers wandering round in the road, crossing over to sit on the barrier and have a fag etc. Down the outside of the orderly line of cars, a big black 4wd approached at speed, towing a big black speed boat and cut into the line two cars in front of me.
There were two booths open, lots of uniformed border police wandering round and watching and a harassed looking gentleman in T shirt, shorts and very official looking long blue gloves checking certificates.
The checker appeared to be held up with the chap with the speed boat, so a border policeman stuck his head out of the booth and waved a languid hand in my direction. Having greeted him in my best Greek, I held up my test certificate for him to see, then pointed my laptop screen at him so he could see the top of the page of the travel approval doc. He waved another languid hand at me, I thanked him in my best Greek and scooted back to the car sharpish.
As I pulled away, I saw the harassed gentleman with the long blue official gloves, chuck the speed boat chaps’ documents down onto the bonnet and point an official long blue glove off to the side, where a bevy of police were watching someone in full head to toe Hazmat and official long blue gloves , poke swabs into the facial orifices of a couple of unfortunates.
Total time from where the line of cars slowed to a halt, to getting through, just over 45 minutes.

wwalsh

Visit site
Last edited: