Coronavirus and Greece

OldBawley

Visit site
Poros, as you may know the St Tropez of Greece.

The big rent a yachts are here. My neighbour has about 10 guests on board. Owners or renters, you never know, those big boats are all for rent. The 10 geriatric guests had to be helped into the tender ( which is bigger than my yacht ) to visit town. They ware back very fast so no eating out. Why would they, chefs and personnel on board.

DSCF4381 (1024x640).jpg
My neighbour.

Those guests live a dangerous life. A super yacht like that is full airco and we have seen what that does to cruise ships.

What is more dangerous to others are the tenders from those yachts who pass trough the anchorage at 30 knots in total dark. An anchorage where a lot of swimming partygangers swim from Russian bay to Daskalio island. Those swimmers talk mostly Slavic. Can be Roumenian, Bulgarian or some Russian country.

One of the all Dutch flotillas was also here., this time only 7 yachts.

Thank God the party flotilla has not been seen up to now.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Are people wearing masks ashore? And are they easy to buy?
They're easy to buy here (Crete) and a majority of locals are wearing them in shops, markets, and other enclosed spaces. Most tourists I note are not.

Up to Friday 10th Greece had 60 new confirmed cases and 42 of those were in tourists tested at the borders. Most of those are land-based travellers, only 0.2% of flight arrivals have so far tested positive. AFAIK all those testing positive were asymptomatic (except for two tourists who felt ill and asked to be tested).

Most locals that I know, and especially those not involved in tourist-facing businesses, are treating tourists as though they're radioactive.

Greece: 60 new coronavirus cases, 42 of them among travellers - Keep Talking Greece

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I see a guy and now his wife been taken off a yacht in Lefkas with the virus , not good , if it Carrys on I wouldn't be surprise if people get hostile towards tourism.
you can't blame the Greek on the street for doing so when there not been Many cases until people arrived for out side .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Poros, as you may know the St Tropez of Greece.

The big rent a yachts are here. My neighbour has about 10 guests on board. Owners or renters, you never know, those big boats are all for rent. The 10 geriatric guests had to be helped into the tender ( which is bigger than my yacht ) to visit town. They ware back very fast so no eating out. Why would they, chefs and personnel on board.

View attachment 94415
My neighbour.

Those guests live a dangerous life. A super yacht like that is full airco and we have seen what that does to cruise ships.

What is more dangerous to others are the tenders from those yachts who pass trough the anchorage at 30 knots in total dark. An anchorage where a lot of swimming partygangers swim from Russian bay to Daskalio island. Those swimmers talk mostly Slavic. Can be Roumenian, Bulgarian or some Russian country.

One of the all Dutch flotillas was also here., this time only 7 yachts.

Thank God the party flotilla has not been seen up to now.
My neighbour.
Your look nicer then mine .

Attachments

• IMG_1675.JPG
    IMG_1675.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 17

Yngmar

Visit site
Went up the Lidl river on Corfu for some shopping and fuel. Masks are not mandatory in shops, only on public transport. A small minority were wearing them in Lidl (including us), staff were not. Neither were some very ancient and fragile looking tourists in there, who certainly seemed high-risk and should be more careful.

There was a shelf with disinfectant, hand-sanitizers and three different types of face-masks, working out to 50 cent per mask, so availability is no problem.

Still pretty quiet. Some light charter return traffic on Friday towards Gouvia as we headed south, but nowhere near the locust swarms from last year. Four boats anchored outside Gouvia marina (~25 last year).

Talked to a fisherman at Ipsos while hacking his poorly laid net from our anchor chain. He normally does tourist trips, but said this year no tourists, so he tries fishing. Very nice guy, spoke several languages, but unfortunately not a good fisherman (thus the net in the chain, which he apologized for). Asked him if there was any fish here anyways, he said, well, that is the other problem...

Poor Greeks that relied on tourism are really struggling :(

Hardly any British flagged boats around, although you do see some red ensigns on portside spreaders and some boatnames hint at formerly English yachts that have reflagged to an EU country.

Saw one port police boat zooming around near Gouvia, but weren't interested in any of the anchored boats.

Our Ozzie friendboat arrived from their winter berth in Montenegro and cleared into Korfu city by agent. No problems, all done in one morning. Offices close early due to lack of business.

fishnet4.jpg

alexsailor

Visit site
Varko bay. Five SY. One British flagged, one Italian, of course us/ Slovenian.

As we anchored I took my dinghy to the beach bar beacuse desinfection is all that matters!
Stay safe:)

7B760CD7-612C-4F1A-AF73-2BC357779A3C.jpeg

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Went up the Lidl river on Corfu for some shopping and fuel. Masks are not mandatory in shops, only on public transport. A small minority were wearing them in Lidl (including us), staff were not. Neither were some very ancient and fragile looking tourists in there, who certainly seemed high-risk and should be more careful.

There was a shelf with disinfectant, hand-sanitizers and three different types of face-masks, working out to 50 cent per mask, so availability is no problem.

Still pretty quiet. Some light charter return traffic on Friday towards Gouvia as we headed south, but nowhere near the locust swarms from last year. Four boats anchored outside Gouvia marina (~25 last year).

Talked to a fisherman at Ipsos while hacking his poorly laid net from our anchor chain. He normally does tourist trips, but said this year no tourists, so he tries fishing. Very nice guy, spoke several languages, but unfortunately not a good fisherman (thus the net in the chain, which he apologized for). Asked him if there was any fish here anyways, he said, well, that is the other problem...

Hardly any British flagged boats around, although you do see some red ensigns on portside spreaders and some boatnames hint at formerly English yachts that have reflagged to an EU country.

Saw one port police boat zooming around near Gouvia, but weren't interested in any of the anchored boats.

Our Ozzie friendboat arrived from their winter berth in Montenegro and cleared into Korfu city by agent. No problems, all done in one morning. Offices close early due to lack of business.

fishnet4.jpg
Not worth saving then , :)

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

fishnet4.jpg
Not likely to get there this year. I assume it is still a matter of keeping close to the right until into the river (imaginatively called the "river" in Greek, if I remember). Useful place to shop.

We only went ashore in the bay once to see if there were any places to eat. Beat a hasty retreat when we saw the rats crawling over the sea wall. They seemed to be everywhere, worst I'd seen in Greece.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Not likely to get there this year. I assume it is still a matter of keeping close to the right until into the river (imaginatively called the "river" in Greek, if I remember). Useful place to shop.

We only went ashore in the bay once to see if there were any places to eat. Beat a hasty retreat when we saw the rats crawling over the sea wall. They seemed to be everywhere, worst I'd seen in Greece.
No sailing for you mike this year, shame .

Yngmar

Visit site

Nice little note hidden in the FAQ there:

SEA
Arrivals by sea by ferry ships are allowed only in Patras, Corfu and Igoumenitsa ports.
Travelers must complete 24 hours before their arrival in Greece a Passenger Locator Factor (PLF) form and a confirmation email will be received upon its submission. An electronic or hard copy of the PLF confirmation should be presented to the designated crew members before embarkation onboard a ship at any Italian port. Travelers will also receive the PLF with a QR code on the day of their scheduled arrival in Greece (at midnight) and will be notified via email (the QR code will be provided in a link in the confirmation email).

No such restriction applies on yachting.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Useful link Vic, I've marked it just in case we get to Greece. We won't be sailing this year but might still be able to visit, do some work in the yard and tour parts of Greece in a car.

PS We enjoyed our time in SoF a few years ago and found a couple of good marinas. Lynne needed to visit a dentist and we broke our usual rule about avoiding marinas. Port-Juan was very good, turn left on entering the harbour (a right turn will lead you to an expensive marina). We paid about 35 euro per night in August and that's pretty good for that area. The surprising part was that it included water, power, Wifi, 1 use of laundry (wash & dry), free use of electric bikes and unlimited chilled still or sparkling water. Free laundry alone covered about 50% of the first night. We will probably stop again sometime as it is a cheap way to visit Monaco, just hope it is still just as good if we return.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Nice little note hidden in the FAQ there:

SEA
Arrivals by sea by ferry ships are allowed only in Patras, Corfu and Igoumenitsa ports.
Travelers must complete 24 hours before their arrival in Greece a Passenger Locator Factor (PLF) form and a confirmation email will be received upon its submission. An electronic or hard copy of the PLF confirmation should be presented to the designated crew members before embarkation onboard a ship at any Italian port. Travelers will also receive the PLF with a QR code on the day of their scheduled arrival in Greece (at midnight) and will be notified via email (the QR code will be provided in a link in the confirmation email).

No such restriction applies on yachting.

I see you found the magic line :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Useful link Vic, I've marked it just in case we get to Greece. We won't be sailing this year but might still be able to visit, do some work in the yard and tour parts of Greece in a car.

PS We enjoyed our time in SoF a few years ago and found a couple of good marinas. Lynne needed to visit a dentist and we broke our usual rule about avoiding marinas. Port-Juan was very good, turn left on entering the harbour (a right turn will lead you to an expensive marina). We paid about 35 euro per night in August and that's pretty good for that area. The surprising part was that it included water, power, Wifi, 1 use of laundry (wash & dry), free use of electric bikes and unlimited chilled still or sparkling water. Free laundry alone covered about 50% of the first night. We will probably stop again sometime as it is a cheap way to visit Monaco, just hope it is still just as good if we return.
Mike by any chance wouldn't still have the wifi code would you as we almost anchored out side :) .
We love the SOF , lots of great anchorage and always some where to hind when the wind blows .
It's really a shame that people think the only good cruisers ground is Greece there go there year after year and miss out on countries like the SOF , Sardinia and many more where the sailing is much better after all isn't that why we by sailing boats and spend ever spare penny we have maintaine in it.

grumpygit

Visit site
Holidaymakers travelling to Greece by land via the Kulata-Promachonas checkpoint on the Bulgarian-Greek border will have to show proof of a negative molecular test result (PCR) for Covid-19, performed up to 72 hours prior to entering Greece. The requirement goes into effect on July 14 at 6am local time (GMT+3).
Covid-19: Greece to require negative PCR test at Kulata-Promachonas from July 14

Phew . . We've made the trip back to Greece. No problems with the journey but be sure to have the return email of the PLF. Passengers at Ancona were getting refused their boarding tickets if they could not produce the relevant information from the returned email.
Other than that all was just about the usual. Face mask wearing sporadic. Temperature taken at Ancona and an oral swab at Patras. Probably the quickest and easiest roll on roll off we've ever had.