Coronavirus and Greece

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Today I saw someone swimming in Vlycho bay. :sick:

I've seen that quite often in the past, mainly charter boats. Not something I have ever been tempted to try. If they wait until late August they should just be able to walk across the bay using the jellyfish as stepping stones. I usually weave all over the place in the dinghy, trying to avoid them. Still hear the outboard note changing every few minutes when I fail to spot one. :D

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I had a wonderful meal out last night the waitors were wearing masks inside the place, outside they dropped their masks, so it was nose and mouth hovering 2 foot above the serving trays :oops:

Tony Cross

Visit site
Why not? The jellyfish have vanished and the water, at the north end anyway, seems relatively clean
Some years ago now a small Italian flagged stinkpot (yes, it was August) anchored ahead of us in there. In the morning we witnessed this aged man in a velour tracksuit climb down the stern ladder, drop his pants and proceed to dump straight into the sea. Despite our shouting at him he didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with that. That's why you don't swim there. :sick:

alexsailor

Visit site
and multiply that with all the boats and sewage from Vlycho.
0-02-0a-b2d6c2469a458dc1.jpg

You go to Vlycho for provisioning, service and not for swimming.

I prefer the W side of Lefkada

0-02-0a-5b9669d7a400b0e4.jpg

wwalsh

Visit site
Bars and Restaurants to close at midnight in the following areas (corona curfew)
The Regions of Crete, Eastern Macedonia and Thrace, - The Regional Units of Thessaloniki, Halkidiki, Larissa and Corfu, - The Municipalities of Mykonos, Paros, Santorini, Volos, Katerini, Rhodes, Antiparos, Zakynthos, Kos.

https://www.newsbomb.gr/ellada/stor...kleinoyn-ta-mpar-ta-mesanyxta-analytiki-lista

good news if you are kept awake by disco

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I went to Plaka Athens Sunday hardly a mask to be seen.
I didn't stay, much to dangerous.
If the virus comes back to Greece I think it will be very bad as they do not think it will happen to them.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Greek Coronavirus daily update: 196 new cases today with 20 at borders - The Kefalonia Pulse

I really hope the Greeks can contain this, we have quite a lot of Greek friends, they are starting to worry that if it continues to rise, the local hospitals will not be able to cope.
There is no suggestion that the Greek health service cannot cope. The latest figures show only 26 people in the entire country are currently intubated in ICUs. The island of Crete alone can easily cope with that number.

There is deep concern in Greece that the numbers are rising again, but you have to put that in context. In a population of 11 million people Greece saw 196 new cases yesterday (Tue 11th Aug). You need to compare that with some other countries before claiming that Greece has lost control.

Of the 196 new cases identified over 63% are in the districts of Attica (that's where the city of Athens is) and Thessaloniki (that's where the city of Thessalonika is). The rest of the country saw an increase today of only 72 cases. A total of 26 were from tourists, either identified at the border or tourists who became sick whilst here.

There is a lot of concern in Greece and the R0 is thought to be over 1, but it's widely recognised that the young people are mostly to blame, they won't socially distance and they won't wear masks. We had an illegal beach party near us only last week where there were a couple of hundred youngsters (almost all Greek) dancing and partying on a beach with no masks and no social distancing.

New measures have been introduced - the key one being that no event can have people standing and all seating must of course be socially distanced. Bars and tavernas have not been allowed to have standing customers for some time. The Greek people are well aware that they are just as much at risk as anyone else and stronger measures will be introduced if necessary. Greece is acting very responsibly (again) - it's just a shame that the youngsters don't show the same sense of social responsibility.

Daily surge again: 196 new coronavirus cases, 85 of them in Attica - Keep Talking Greece

grumpygit

Visit site
I'm not convinced about masks, I think there is a lot of mask paranoia and imo it came all to late. I would say being in the fresh air at Plaka isn't too much of a risk in the big scheme of things but the travelling there may be a different story.

OldBawley

Visit site
I am in the Athens region. Whilst walking the street I witnessed an old man with a mask break down in the middle of a road. Some people lifted him and put him on the pavement. No idea what he had but it makes one be more cautious.

I have seen some Greek doctors, are convinced of their competence.

Been in some Greek hospitals and they are old, dirty and about 1950 north European quality.

Wheelchairs with a sheet of plywood as a seat. Decades old stuff.