Compass Southerly 23 or Bluebird yacht

christmas

Visit site
I am after any advice on the 2 boats both are GRP and built in the 1970's I have found a club site for the bluebird and would be greatful if anyone can point me in the direction of an owners club for the Compass. Also any one who can give me the heads up on pros and cons would be great
Regards Terry...

jollyjacktar

Visit site
From memory and from all appearances, the Compass Southerly 23 which was renamed Pacific 24 by Compass Yachts of Sydney, was based [if not a direct copy or built under licence] on a British design Hunter 23 of the same era. Don't know of any class association, but a number of the Southerly 23's are still around and sailed in NZ. Good little boats and sail well. I believe that one of them or something very similar was an early contestant in the Atlantic Single handed races in the 70's.

Don't know much about Bluebirds though as Bluebirds seem to mostly be in Australia and were a popular racing boat with Sydney fleets. Sailed one once in PNG, amateur built, in plywood, mastlead rig, went well. Production boats were made in fibreglass.

fishermantwo

Visit site
Bluebirds are still racing as a class in Sydney with state titles etc. Can be seen occassionally on Ebay very cheap. They should be 3/4 rigged. The way the TV show "Water rats", the show about the water police, were blowing them up I'm surprised any are left.

Never sailed or owned a Southerly 23. They are very cheap now as well. I did own an Endeavour 24 which was from the same era. Bit tight on interior space and sailed well but did not have a groove. The balanced rudder required constant attention. The Southerly is definately a prettier boat and to me that is important. I think if I was to pick between the two it would come down to what outboard they came with and the selection of sails. They will always be cheap boats and the idea would be to maximise the enjoyment as cheaply as possible, be prepared to lose some money on these boats and dont over capitalise.