Coming back from the Med

D

Deleted User YDKXO

We're off to pick up the boat in St Tropez tomorrow for a 3 week cruise. This is what we have to look forward to.
There's a cloud on 26 Aug. I should complain if I was you:D

On a more serious note, I take these long term Med forecasts with a very large pinch of salt. The fact is that they can't accurately forecast more than a few days ahead. I'm quite sure that for weeks 2 and 3, they just forecast sunshine because that's the most probable weather rather than on the basis of any facts. I've often found that the forecast changes for the worse for these periods after a few days as the weather people are more able to base the forecast on data rather than probability

rafiki_

Visit site
There's a cloud on 26 Aug. I should complain if I was you:D

On a more serious note, I take these long term Med forecasts with a very large pinch of salt. The fact is that they can't accurately forecast more than a few days ahead. I'm quite sure that for weeks 2 and 3, they just forecast sunshine because that's the most probable weather rather than on the basis of any facts. I've often found that the forecast changes for the worse for these periods after a few days as the weather people are more able to base the forecast on data rather than probability

Mike, as you know, here in the UK we are unable to forecast accurately for more than a few hours. The weather patterns in the Med are more stable than ours, and you are right, it is a generalisation. As keen Kenya lovers, we regularly check the weather in Nairobi and Malindi. Generally it forecasts rain. When we are there, generally it is hot and sunny. There are rainy seasons, and we plan not to visit at that time. The difference is, like the Med, there are rainy seasons and dry seasons, unlike the UK, making it easier to plan. I'm sure every now and themn you get the odd surprise.

jfm

Visit site
Jimmy my random thoughts on this would be...

1. ultimately do what you want. And the t40 is now UK and med spec and can be trucked twixt the two very easily

2. September is a fab month in the med and it's a shame to miss that

3. you have all of corsica to explore. I'm anchored in St florent at top left of corsica, fab busy town, saleccia beach next door, and a bloke offering rides in one of these off the beach - pictures later. It would be such a shame to see just the cote d'azur and not corsica

4. Taking the boat home for winter is quite a smart idea though. That said, i delivered Match to port Loano about 30nm west of genoa, last week. Huge marina, 30% full, all new berths and quais made in last 2 years. Loads of safe winter berthing, cheap. Also you can store Vega indoors in a barn at La Rague. but having it nearby in UK might still be the better way to go, and just put it in med for 4/5 months/year

5. The berthing process in sofF is mostly cultural rather than deliberate non trnasparency. It takes a year or two before you are a regular. A+K, and Grey Goose for example, have been here 3-4 and 10 yrs respectively and having served the "2 year breaking in" period now get "permanent rental" berths allocated. you are on that trajectory so it's a pity to come off it?

Best wishes

kashurst

Visit site
down here in the cheap seats in the costa blanca berthing would be no problem at many places. getting work done well is no problem either.
The beer is just as cold and surprisingly its the same water as S of F. After 2 years in the med I'm never going back to UK boating.

the endless sunshine, deep blue warm waters, deserted islands and bays, dolphins, sword fish etc....

juice Vega up and head south, be a great trip and cheaper than trucking back to UK.
Just keep the land on your right and the blue stuff in front.

wakeup

Visit site
Jimmy my random thoughts on this would be...

1. ultimately do what you want. And the t40 is now UK and med spec and can be trucked twixt the two very easily

2. September is a fab month in the med and it's a shame to miss that

3. you have all of corsica to explore. I'm anchored in St florent at top left of corsica, fab busy town, saleccia beach next door, and a bloke offering rides in one of these off the beach - pictures later. It would be such a shame to see just the cote d'azur and not corsica

4. Taking the boat home for winter is quite a smart idea though. That said, i delivered Match to port Loano about 30nm west of genoa, last week. Huge marina, 30% full, all new berths and quais made in last 2 years. Loads of safe winter berthing, cheap. Also you can store Vega indoors in a barn at La Rague. but having it nearby in UK might still be the better way to go, and just put it in med for 4/5 months/year

5. The berthing process in sofF is mostly cultural rather than deliberate non trnasparency. It takes a year or two before you are a regular. A+K, and Grey Goose for example, have been here 3-4 and 10 yrs respectively and having served the "2 year breaking in" period now get "permanent rental" berths allocated. you are on that trajectory so it's a pity to come off it?

Best wishes

I agree with JFM re 2. I was swimming between the islands in October last year and it was warm enough.

You could always dry berth Vega for the winter to keep maintenance down and berth assurance up. There are several places where you can do that not that far from PV either on a dry stack on in a secure shed.

I don't know if you have ventured further than VF to the Islands but St Tropez beaches are awesome from a boat as are the calanques off Casiss and then there are the Porq Roles Islands and many bays en route. Not to mention Corsica, Sardina, Elba and more. If you haven't then you have only seen the busiest and most expensive part so far. I've got to say, having bought a boat from Brighton and spent some time there, it felt like a big bunker, no sea views and carp restaurants and facilities. Not to mention the carp weather we have had this year. OK it is close though and English speaking if that is top of your list.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site

Hi jfm

Ok - but if let's say I remove Vega from PV for the winter only (back to the UK, or Marina di Loana, or into storage at LR) then am I not just as equally coming off the 'breaking in' trajectory at PV, only to start over in say May next year?

Cheers
Jimmy

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I agree with JFM re 2. I was swimming between the islands in October last year and it was warm enough.

You could always dry berth Vega for the winter to keep maintenance down and berth assurance up. There are several places where you can do that not that far from PV either on a dry stack on in a secure shed.

I don't know if you have ventured further than VF to the Islands but St Tropez beaches are awesome from a boat as are the calanques off Casiss and then there are the Porq Roles Islands and many bays en route. Not to mention Corsica, Sardina, Elba and more. If you haven't then you have only seen the busiest and most expensive part so far. I've got to say, having bought a boat from Brighton and spent some time there, it felt like a big bunker, no sea views and carp restaurants and facilities. Not to mention the carp weather we have had this year. OK it is close though and English speaking if that is top of your list.

Hi wakeup

Yep, fair criticisms. You're quite right, I haven't been further west than La Rague/the Lerins, and no further east than Cap Ferrat, so you know pretty exactly what I've seen. Part of this is as simple as I really like Villefranche, which is why I tend to head there when I can. Part of it, being completely honest, is that that short (15m?) stretch of coast has become a little more familiar now, and after five months of relentless newbie challenges, I'm taking that little bit of easier familiarity where I can get it.

What did you mean by 'berth assurance'? Storing an outdrive boat (like Vega) on the hard for October - March makes tons of sense, if it's feasible.

And again, this comes up a lot, but I have never disagreed with those that find Brighton boating tedious in the extreme, it's a big tired marina with chain restaurants and no cruising grounds ... but it is less than 15 mins from the house, and I do quite enjoy floating around doing nothing much at all. Just like anchoring in Villefranche, doing nothing much at all. Not! :D

English speaking isn't the prob in the Med; I have fully accepted the fact that every (attempted) interaction I have in French will end up with me feeling like an incompetent monolingual buffoon, but there you are, that is what I is, innit.

Cheers
Jimmy

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I'm in Villefrache in a couple of weeks Jimmy. Don't move the boat until then!

You will know when I arrive, I'm in the 140,000 tonne "other boat" :) probably the only boat in the bay with a flow rider on the back. Not sure if anyone else has an ice rink come to think of it either ;)

Henry

Henry, what are your dates, would be great to meet for a quick quayside (or on board, if you've got time) drink while you're in town, so to speak.

Cheers
Jimmy

wakeup

Visit site
Hi wakeup

What did you mean by 'berth assurance'? Storing an outdrive boat (like Vega) on the hard for October - March makes tons of sense, if it's feasible.

Nothing more than you are assured tenure of the berth you are sitting on in either a dry dock or a shed throughout the winter and you won't get thrown off. Agreed though, this strategy doesn't help you to achieve the 2 year mark with the PV Capitainaire. The French see us all as money laden swallows that fly home for the winter, "oops, sorry this was not meant to impugn all French just some of them" It has taken me longer than 2 years to get established with neighbours and locals, so I do understand the problem.

Given that the distances aren't great from any marina to any of the destinations mentioned, have you looked at Gold Juan or Beaulieu or Cannes Marina. Or is PV the only place you would consider. I know you've looked at PdlR and I guess Mandelieu.

Last edited:

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Nothing more than you are assured tenure of the berth you are sitting on in either a dry dock or a shed throughout the winter and you won't get thrown off. Agreed though, this strategy doesn't help you to achieve the 2 year mark with the PV Capitainaire. The French see us all as money laden swallows that fly home for the winter, "oops, sorry this was not meant to impugn all French just some of them" It has taken me longer than 2 years to get established with neighbours and locals, so I do understand the problem.

Aha, gotcha thanks. Any links to shed storage?

Given that the distances aren't great from any marina to any of the destinations mentioned, have you looked at Gold Juan or Beaulieu or Cannes Marina. Or is PV the only place you would consider. I know you've looked at PdlR and I guess Mandelieu.

I did look at, and discard, Golfe Juan and La Napoule; I haven't considered Cannes. I like PV because I quite like the buzz of Antibes, it's a year-round town, and it's easy to get to. I haven't ever been to Beaulieu (or St Jean Cap Ferrat) and I keep meaning to whizz up there on the scooter to have a nose around. Based on a suggestion from another forumite I did have a look at Baie des Anges at the weekend, it's a bit like a big version of Port Solent only without the lock (and Sunsail).

Cheers
Jimmy

wakeup

Visit site
Aha, gotcha thanks. Any links to shed storage?

I did look at, and discard, Golfe Juan and La Napoule; I haven't considered Cannes. I like PV because I quite like the buzz of Antibes, it's a year-round town, and it's easy to get to. I haven't ever been to Beaulieu (or St Jean Cap Ferrat) and I keep meaning to whizz up there on the scooter to have a nose around. Based on a suggestion from another forumite I did have a look at Baie des Anges at the weekend, it's a bit like a big version of Port Solent only without the lock (and Sunsail).

Cheers
Jimmy

I will look up the links for you, the dry stack that I know is up the Siagne just before you get Mandelieu La Napoule (I think it is called Port Inland) EME will know for sure as he took me there once and and there are several secure boat sheds that house 80 footers up that river near the boat stack and even up as far as Pegomas but you will need to have boat trucked up that far as these are beyond the weir in Mandelieu.

You won't get a more buzzy (in a good way) town than Cannes all year round but it will be a different atmosphere to Antibes. Two Marinas there, the old port which is quite nice though parts are near a busy road and then there is Cannes Marina which is at the other end of the strip from the Croisette.( not to be confused with the Cannes Marina behind La Napoule just off to the port side of the Siagne) I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a berth there.

If you wanted really quirky, then go and have a look at Port La Galere just on the corniche out of Theoule. Really quirkly architecture, sort of Star Wars meets Provencal. But has a really nice sea water swimming pool and a nice couple of restaurants. Then there is Port Grimaud, much further along, but very pretty indeed. Modelled on fishersmans cottages, lots of bars and restaurants but quite busy in high season, but only a quick jaunt to St Trop across the bay.

jfm

Visit site
Hi jfm

Ok - but if let's say I remove Vega from PV for the winter only (back to the UK, or Marina di Loana, or into storage at LR) then am I not just as equally coming off the 'breaking in' trajectory at PV, only to start over in say May next year?

Cheers
Jimmy
I'm no expert on the subtle dance moves in the port mating game, becuase I've taken the nuclear approach always and bought a berth. But I'd say that taking the winter away from PV, keeping in touch with madam via the odd email and xmas present, etc, means that you remain on the trajectory if you ask for a berth next summer and threrefore your time served hasn't been wasted

I'm dangling on an anchor (A+K's, Sq58, to be precise) for the third night now in St florent, Corsica. Just watched sunset, water flat as a very flat thing, A+K's excellent music install chugging away (your spec I believe?) and life couldn't better. I am reminded that Corsica is surely the most beautiful isalnd in the Med and yet we're so close to the CDA. I like the place so much I just filled the boat with white diesel to help the economy :)

That flying RIB ride this evening was the best thing ever. The pilot/owner, Leo, is such a cool dude and he flew me along the beaches and chased RIBs so I could talk to the people below. This flying RIB ride alone is a reason to stay in the Med. I will put a youtube up later - did a nice fly-past of A+K's lovely sq58

None of this is not a reason to truck Vega to UK; all I'm saying is bring it back next year becuase you aint seen nothing of the Med yet and you are on trajectory with the berthing ladies. Though I think trucking in October is better than september

I share your love of villefranche and have anchored there perhaps 100 times and could happily do another 100. But this st florent and zillions of other places within say 150nm are also just as good...

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Thanks for all that. I'm feeling (like you all probably are) that we've done this particular topic enough now. In tying this off, I hear everything you're all saying, and I'm giving it all some thought.

Also, I've had a bunch of really very thoughtful, helpful and generous PM's and emails; you know who you are - thanks for those, they've really made a difference.

Now, this I do want to know more about:

That flying RIB ride this evening was the best thing ever. The pilot/owner, Leo, is such a cool dude and he flew me along the beaches and chased RIBs so I could talk to the people below. This flying RIB ride alone is a reason to stay in the Med. I will put a youtube up later - did a nice fly-past of A+K's lovely sq58

Sounds fab! Could this be an appropriate replacement for the Laser on Match2?? :D Can't wait to see the video...

Cheers
Jimmy

EME

www.lumishore.com
FWIW

.. and I agree J-L-C ( JTB) has to call it as he sees it -- none of my business.

But a few observations :-

Over the next 8-12 years renting will get harder down here as greedy bar stewards who own decide to sell to maximise returns.

Doomsday scenarios are exactly that --- even with minus 1 day your 'owned' berth should have value under in-locum ( I made that word up ! but sitting tenant ) rights.

PV is not the best place to have a boat imho .. and yes , I do own there, BUT its a British thing.

jfm

Visit site
Over the next 8-12 years renting will get harder down here as greedy bar stewards who own decide to sell to maximise returns.

I don't understnad your economics. Can you explain the logic of how you get from A to E a bit more, cos I'm not seeing B, C and D.

I'm not sure most berth owners are Gr Barstewards :). We have bought berths just as a convenience/toy purchase, and the market is what it is. None of us, whether casual sailors like you/me/MRC, or the hard nosed Gr Bar'd investors who seem to own some berths, can buck the market.