Coming back from the Med

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Well, it's a been a fairly intense season so far in the Med, and although there is a _lot_ about being there that is fab, principally the weather, overall it hasn't been a complete success. The big issue, unsurprisingly, is berthing, and really the only solution that delivers peace of mind is to buy a berth, which for my T40 in Port Vauban would be about £150k for 9 years, plus service charges of about £3k pa. Too strong for me.

So we've got two more trips out there this month, and then in the first week of September the boat is coming home, initially to somewhere in the solent for a few weeks, don't know where yet, and then back to Brighton. Tbh as much as I have enjoyed my little jaunts down to SoF - I can't wait to get the boat back here.

Cheers
Jimmy

trying

Visit site
Glad you've enjoyed being out there and certainly had more enjoyable weather than you would've had in Brighton so far this summer! Enjoy the remainder of your time out there.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Sorry to hear that Jimmy but I fully understand as I thought about coming home a few times myself in my early days in the Med. Must admit that I don't think about it now as I've got used to the frustrations of the Med way of boating but good luck with boating back in the UK anyway

DougH

Visit site
Well, it's a been a fairly intense season so far in the Med, and although there is a _lot_ about being there that is fab, principally the weather, overall it hasn't been a complete success. The big issue, unsurprisingly, is berthing, and really the only solution that delivers peace of mind is to buy a berth, which for my T40 in Port Vauban would be about £150k for 9 years, plus service charges of about £3k pa. Too strong for me.

So we've got two more trips out there this month, and then in the first week of September the boat is coming home, initially to somewhere in the solent for a few weeks, don't know where yet, and then back to Brighton. Tbh as much as I have enjoyed my little jaunts down to SoF - I can't wait to get the boat back here.

Why not come to Mallorca or mainland Spain.

Plenty of permanent rental berths all round the island and the season runs from the start of May to the end of October.

Prices of berths are good but many marinas will haggle.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Thats a real shame to hear you leaving.

Before you go:

http://marinedirectory.ybw.com/berths/results.jsp

An offer on that maybe plus saving shipping fees back?

For 9 years PLUS the rest of this season?

Yep, good thought, but there is a reason why that berth is the cheapest 15x5 in the port - and even at that price it's been for sale all year. It's a tricky berth to get in and out of, it's right next to the road so v noisy, and the pavement is 2 feet from the cockpit, so everyone has a good peer in as they walk past. I guess you could solve some of this by not having an open boat like my T40, but fairly quickly you're chasing your tail looking for a solution. Easier and more sensibler (!) to bail out.

Cheers
Jimmy

Hurricane

Visit site
Jimmy

If you bring her back, you will be missing the best time of the year.
IMO late season is the best
After the crowds have all gone and the water is still warm.
I'm actually looking forward to our late season cruise which will start in September - might not finish until late October.
Two years ago, we flew back on November the 5th after a cracking time.

How about a run to Sant Carles for the autumn then
You will find it really cheap in comparason with the SoF
And when they rent you a berth, it's generally yours until you dont need it again.
I know the manager well but I also know some private owners who would do a deal privately.
You wouldnt believe how cheap it can be.
Several UK T40s at SC now
Coast to Coast are always running between SC and the UK so there should be an opportunity to take her home from there.

IMO, it would be a real shame to return to the UK.
There's loads more to see and do the the Med.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Crikey!

Quite surprised to see this post! I wouldn't have been prior to your heading out there had you reconsidered on cost/distance etc, but given the investment in Med preparations, transport etc I thought you'd run for 12 months before a review! :eek: Even then, I'd have put money on the traveling and time factors getting to you before I'd have thought of berth problems. I'm guessing from the other thread that actual boating hours was better, so seems a shame to call it quits this early on, but that said, nobody is in a better position to judge what you want better than you, so has to be the right call. :)

Have you considered elsewhere in the UK? You obviously wanted a change from Brighton to have made the move in the first instance... Perhaps the Solent or even Plymouth/Torbay? I'm obviously biased, but think the Westcountry is a fantastic boating ground - only wish I'd have started years ago! :cool::D

crazy4557

Visit site

Cheers
Jimmy

Jimmy,

I, too have done almost exactly as you. In 2004 I took my V40 down to Port Roses in Spain after being fed up with the UK weather but also the lure of the med and the warm sea, weather etc were all very appealing. I lived on the Hamble at the time so had access to the boat 24/7 whilst it was here so I could just tinker, you know, do the odd job or a bit of cleaning etc
I enjoyed the med very much BUT I missed not having the boat 'just down the road' to tinker with and generally look after and also I too was not very happy with the mooring. That was a massive downside and eventually was the reason I had the boat returned back to the UK. So, a very expensive 6 months in the med with two transport trips costing me about £5k each way but when the boat was back it was a massive relief and I was back tinkering to my hearts content. But a great memory even now some 8 years later.

I do think you would be better to get the boat back to the Solent as to me the cruising round Brighton is very limited.
Good luck with the trip back though....

vas

Visit site
very surprised myself as well especially after all the effort and care taken in preparing and organising the whole move!
Not going to suggest you go to x or y place but it feels a bit odd to pull back so soon.
I do agree with Hurricane that you'll definitely miss the best part of the season.

Obviously you know better but think of us as well, wont be any exciting threads with jesus impressions and other funny stories back in Brighton/Solent, will there? :D

cheers

V.

gjgm

Visit site
Wow.... but then I recall your previous comments re berths.
You gave it a go , but sorry that after all that effort you are returning. On the upside, you have missed the worst 6 months in UK boating history I reckon !
Curry houses around the Solent will be rejoicing of course.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Why not come to Mallorca or mainland Spain.

Plenty of permanent rental berths all round the island and the season runs from the start of May to the end of October.

Prices of berths are good but many marinas will haggle.

Hi Doug

I did briefly think about Mallorca, especially after reading about Jrudge's easy-sounding transition - but right now I'm feeling like I need to get my breath back, so UK it is.

One thing that I have definitely learned from this is that moving a boat like mine around on a truck is a lot easier than you'd think, it really doesn't feel like a big deal at all. A couple of phone calls to Coast 2 Coast, a few £k's, and (in due course) a call to La Rague to arrange the lift, and another one to RK to arrange the launch, and that's about it. Oh, and an hour with some bubble wrap and sticky tape in the cabins, and another couple of hours to get the goalpost, the aerials and the canvas off. There you go: half a days work, most of which while you're hanging around waiting for the lift to put you on the truck.

Cheers
Jimmy

Portofino

Visit site
Hi, J
V sorry to here this . Your efforts and enthusiasm have inspired all and some are preparing to follow.( uk weather issues)
Agree with above but try and finish a season .Nov 1/2 term is magical sea still warm to swim , no a/c need@ pm
Why not "pioneer" renting in Genoa .
Loads of rental births long secure rents etc .Fab marina really beats PV . Lovely Old town .
Oh an air port next door ( cure any transport hassle - scooter? ) not needed ,
Mk 1 legs only .
It's a 2 hour blast to Lerins or 1 hr from Monaco.
Then in 12/12 have rethink.
There is more to the Med than PV .I thinks it a big boys toys port .As you know I,am member of the sub 12 M Med based moBo club . Never looked back.
Genoa would be good place to retreat to for a long / secure rental over the winter until you collect your thoughts re term plans .
Tinkering I think it's par for the courses re boat ownership most " blokes" manage - long distance it's all part of the pleasure - I think !. There is not a holiday without a repair .Next week we will return for the 5 th time this season .
I have some Halfords wipers to fit.A new socket for the VHF to solder in the dash( as one the 6 pins has fractured) , but so what it will be done .
MRC has an ice maker to fix on his Pred and so on Etc .It can all be done@ long range.Ok we cannot nip down On Sunday .
Stick ability please !

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi jimmy sorry to hear it's not really worked out, at least you have experienced it, your more than welcome back here, come and join us all in the Solent.

benjenbav

Visit site
James - See you in the Solent next year? Happy to be the camera operator so that you can recreate your famous walking on water shot in slightly cooler waters. :D

Btw we were planning to be in SoF the week after next - first time back there since I met you and H on JFM's ex-boat at Easter. But it looks like it won't be happening now.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
James - See you in the Solent next year? Happy to be the camera operator so that you can recreate your famous walking on water shot in slightly cooler waters. :D

Btw we were planning to be in SoF the week after next - first time back there since I met you and H on JFM's ex-boat at Easter. But it looks like it won't be happening now.

Thanks for that. Next year is still up for grabs, I think - I'm going to put the boat on a winter contract in Brighton to get me to 1 April, and figure it out from there.

Ref dates in SoF - I'm sending you a PM.

Cheers
Jimmy

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Jimmy

If you bring her back, you will be missing the best time of the year.
IMO late season is the best
After the crowds have all gone and the water is still warm.
I'm actually looking forward to our late season cruise which will start in September - might not finish until late October.
Two years ago, we flew back on November the 5th after a cracking time.

How about a run to Sant Carles for the autumn then
You will find it really cheap in comparason with the SoF
And when they rent you a berth, it's generally yours until you dont need it again.
I know the manager well but I also know some private owners who would do a deal privately.
You wouldnt believe how cheap it can be.
Several UK T40s at SC now
Coast to Coast are always running between SC and the UK so there should be an opportunity to take her home from there.

IMO, it would be a real shame to return to the UK.
There's loads more to see and do the the Med.

Hi Mike

I appreciate the thought here, but tbh it feels a bit frying pan/fire - before I moved the boat to SoF I did a lot of thinking about the various aspects of boating down there, inc travel logistics et al, and so I'm reluctant to move the boat to another location without going through the same exercise. For now I think the UK is the right move - it's the one place where I don't really need to make any effort to organise things.

Cheers
Jimmy

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Quite surprised to see this post! I wouldn't have been prior to your heading out there had you reconsidered on cost/distance etc, but given the investment in Med preparations, transport etc I thought you'd run for 12 months before a review! :eek: Even then, I'd have put money on the traveling and time factors getting to you before I'd have thought of berth problems. I'm guessing from the other thread that actual boating hours was better, so seems a shame to call it quits this early on, but that said, nobody is in a better position to judge what you want better than you, so has to be the right call. :)

Have you considered elsewhere in the UK? You obviously wanted a change from Brighton to have made the move in the first instance... Perhaps the Solent or even Plymouth/Torbay? I'm obviously biased, but think the Westcountry is a fantastic boating ground - only wish I'd have started years ago! :cool::D

In fact the travelling is a doddle once you get used to it (I've done it about 15 times so far this year). My little plan with the scooter has worked out incredibly well, really easy and not at all costly. Biking up to Gatwick on the UK side is also v straightforward.

It doesn't seem long, I know, but in fact it's just coming on five months since the boat arrived in France, and I'm satisfied that I've given it enough of a try to form an opinion.

When it comes back. the boat will initially stay in the Solent, then back to Brighton for the winter months. I haven't thought about next year yet - although I agree with you that west is nice, although it takes longer to get to anywhere Dartmouth and west than it does to get to Antibes.

Cheers
Jimmy

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com

Cheers
Jimmy

It's a shame the berthing situation hasn't worked out for you Jimmy. I guess it may have been slightly less unpleasant if the Capitainerie was more helpful, but it wouldn't change the facts that there are too many people chasing too few rental berths.

The other issues can all be worked round. Like Deleted User I also thought about bringing the boat back to UK in the early days, for all the tinkering, travel, and servicing reasons people have mentioned above. I'm so glad we didn't though, and I now wouldn't even consider it, we've just learnt to live with the downsides of med boating, because the upsides more then outweigh them for us.

westernman

www.devalk.nl

Berthing in the SoF is difficult if you are looking for a yearly rental. There are long waiting lists in most places and very little movement. However, you can often get 3 or 6 months rentals. These can sometimes be extended, and sometimes renewed as a yearly rental. Otherwise you can move around and if the worst comes to the worst keep the boat some of the time out of the water.

But why stay in the SoF - there is a fair number of yearly rentals available in Spain?

This is one place to look:-
http://en.buscoamarre.com/

There are a fair number of places in St Margerida - this is in the Bay de Roses on the Costa Brava and is a pretty good area for cruising with plenty of interesting bays to anchor in, interesting towns etc.

Seems a shame to get the boat sent back to the UK when there are plenty of solutions to parking it somewhere.