Coming back from the Med

EME

www.lumishore.com
LOL ..

A-- being where we are today with some berth stock held by owners with no boat on them, the rental 'stock'

B -- being the realisation that berth prices are beginning to fall

C -- being the commitment from Mgt Companies to keep berth 'rental prices' down ( to avoid a Port Canto scenario)

D -- being folks realising that B + C makes little sense if they are holding on to berths WITHOUT a boat on them, so they decide to maximise their return.

E-- Being places like Beaulieu (??) insisting that all berths are owner-occupied or as in the case of Antibes there being (well-founded) rumours that post-lease only those with their own boats on berths will have continuity rights ( Use It or Lose It) .. this also explains imo why there will still be a premium up to the last day for leases, even in a doomsday scenario.

Net effect of A-E being that rental stock will fall as owner occupation increases

That is borne out by the number of berths that were sold in Antibes in the last 12 months? Allegedly a record?

Personally I would never rent.

The GBS's was a tongue-in-cheek reference to someone who has consistently owned more berths than they have boats concurrently!

Last edited:

EME

www.lumishore.com
What's the Port Canto scenario?

Port Canto is the Cannes newer port. The Management Company and (the leases) were taken over by the city of Cannes a10-15 years ago due to the place going 'bust'. Legend ( and Im sure others know better) was because no rental income commission was coming in to support the management company and the place was going to rack-and-ruin.

benjenbav

Visit site
Port Canto is the Cannes newer port. The Management Company and (the leases) were taken over by the city of Cannes a10-15 years ago due to the place going 'bust'. Legend ( and Im sure others know better) was because no rental income commission was coming in to support the management company and the place was going to rack-and-ruin.

But a nice bit of statuary:

DSCN0038-1.jpg

jfm

Visit site
spot the boat

Excellent statue-age bjb. The blue hulled valdetarro 34m, behind, s/y unplugged, belongs to a friend of mine and I think your photo was taken a few years ago just as she was about to set sail across the pond with Emma, TCM's erstwhile stewardess, on board for her first transat

benjenbav

Visit site
April 2008! Makes me feel old to think that was four years ago. I just looked at the other pix I took then and it was a totally weird week in terms of weather. We left home in snow. Drove to SoF. Cobalt blue sky when we arrived and then grey and miserable plus occasionally stormy until we went home.