Collision in Solent this afternoon - Incoming Tanker / Yacht

st599

Visit site
Something I have noticed is that the ships seem to make their turn to starboard at different spots, before now I have been waiting off Egypt point to see if the ship heading up is going to come straight through to the Needles, (rare, I know) or if it will make a last minute turn. Some ships turn early and some late, perhaps the yacht skipper had banked on the ship turning early and the area being clear by the time he reached it. If that was Gurnard, the ship wasnt leaving it late,

Depends on the state of tide. They'd rather not be swept onto Bramble bank

emsworthy

Visit site
No one seems to have mentioned the crew member who appears to deliberately abandon ship just before impact. I know he was subsequently picked up, but what was he thinking??:eek:

Surely he would have been better staying on the boat than taking his chances in front of a supertanker whose bow thrusters were probably working overtime at that point!

Chrissie

Visit site
Ive learnt something useful today, I often wondered what was behind the different turning points, so thank you for explaining it, but does anyone know if they turn to Southampton early when the tide is running west, and late when its running east? or vice versa?

VicS

Visit site
Ive learnt something useful today, I often wondered what was behind the different turning points, so thank you for explaining it, but does anyone know if they turn to Southampton early when the tide is running west, and late when its running east? or vice versa?

Id think they turn late if the tide is east going to avoid being swept onto the brambles and early when its west going to avoid being carted off too far west.

savageseadog

Visit site
I wonder how one would feel as an MOB in the water with all those RIBS zooming around, without them knowing where you were. Were they official safety boats?

Severnman

Visit site
"Here lies the body of Michael O'Day
Who died maintaining his right of way,
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong"

gerry99

www.freedom.co.uk
What makes you ask?

The skipper of that racer is probably qualified to death with all the bits of paper that the RYA could throw at him, but it still doesn't change the mindset of "we're racing" excuses all.

he's a total muppet for being anywhere near a bulk carrier in a MPZ. fullstop

Which Muppet? I vote for Beauregard - the dim witted janitor / stagehand

Answers on a postcard please

cawarra

Visit site
Those than can.....do.....

Those that cant (but think they can).......talk about it..................or get run down by a bloody great tanker....

Idiot skipper of the highest level and i find it completely incomprehensible that he would put either himself or his boat but even worse, the safety and lives of his crew at that sort of risk....I gave up racing/ skippering many years ago as there were too many "wannabe rock stars" out there who actually knew very little apart from taking too many risks. The main part that was the massive lack of common sense..... lives were being put at risk and I wasnt prepared to be a part of it. On my boat or any other boat I have skippered/ driven, the safety of the crew was paramount and, even when racing, that still came first...it was the other idiots around me that i was more concerned about....

I know this is aimed at the few...but...

Only one saving grace I suppose...at least thats one less d*** head in the fleet...too many more out there though...

I wonder if the skipper (or a crew member) will come on here and give us thier side of the "story".....

Icarus39

Visit site
Hang on, there may be a positive side to all this ... maybe this kamikaze 'skipper' has just given his good lady wife the excuse she's been looking for ... SWMBO ... 'that's it, I've been telling you for years you don't know what you're doing ... I'm never going on that boat again, I hate that boat ! It's time for me, we're getting a caravan' [/B]:D
If he does, look out for him reversing it on the site :p