Coffee on board

RJJ

Visit site
The 30 pump rule is in place on our boat. What you do is to empty the bowl then pump 30 times: that pushes air through the pipes not water. It gets rid of the pipe contents without adding to the volume in the tank. You can work out how many pumps are required: Jabsco states that a metre of pipe requires 7 strokes of the pump: length of pipe time 7 plus a bit for luck. We’ve got a 4 metre run to the tank, so 30 pumps works. No smell and no back flushing. The bowl remains empty until the next customer visits.
There‘s also a diverted valve in the system. Pee gets pumped straight out, solids goes via the holding tank. Same 30 pump rule applies to both solids and liquids, can’t see what so difficult about pumping air through the system to clear the pipes.
Curious...how does pumping air up the vertical run push all the pipe contents into the tank? Surely the air just bubbles up and through the "stuff" leaving it in the pipe?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Curious...how does pumping air up the vertical run push all the pipe contents into the tank? Surely the air just bubbles up and through the "stuff" leaving it in the pipe?
No real idea but it does work. On the odd occasion when I’ve had to disconnect pipes, there’s been little in the way of fluid in them, whereas before we got clogged pipes and removing them was a messy business as they were inevitably full of effluent.

TernVI

Visit site
Because I like instant coffee. Especially Nestle Cap Columbia.
Some instant coffee in my opinion can be better than some of the muck served by coffee snobs.
And something 'instant' is always good at 3AM.
Taste is, by definition, subjective.

When I first worked in a big engineering company, I was in an office where we got a bit silly about the 'perfect cup of tea' and started getting picky about the water (springwater from supermarket?), the milk (local dairy semi skilled) and the heat capacity of the tea pot, let alone the actual tea. You need to check the oxygen content of the water before boiling it, allegedly. And boil the right amount only, for the shortest time.
But then again some people like British Rail tea.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
You may find that coffee might induce sea sickness. I never drink coffee as sea as I find it dehydrates me. I find a decent pot of tea more hydrating.

Yes coffee at sea is one of very few things that induces me to sea sickness.

BUT: at anchor etc then it's got to be a Moka pot. We have a stainless steel gadget that looks a bit like a small cafetier; it micro aerates milk fab after about 15 pumps.

zoidberg

Visit site
Depends on how much of a coffee snob you are: We use an AeroPress

On the basis of this thread, I bought an AeroPress Go, intending to use it on the boat. I was impressed by the company's quality of communication, so used the device shortly after delivery. Yes, I enjoyed the coffee it made, but found the collection of bits rather fiddly compared to my normal simple and indestructible cafetiere.

And it's darned expensive, compared with a simple cafetiere..... as my lady wife remarked!

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
On the basis of this thread, I bought an AeroPress Go, intending to use it on the boat. I was impressed by the company's quality of communication, so used the device shortly after delivery. Yes, I enjoyed the coffee it made, but found the collection of bits rather fiddly compared to my normal simple and indestructible cafetiere.

And it's darned expensive, compared with a simple cafetiere..... as my lady wife remarked!
True. But after 8 years I stick it together first thing every day from pure muscle memory, alert, sleepy, hungover, whatever. The only thing that messes me up is if my wife has put the assemblage back in the cupboard in the wrong place or in the wrong order ?
Oh, and if I've let the kettle boil. That messes my morning routine up too cos it means I have to add a bit of cold water so not to burn the coffee. I don't remember if it actually makes a difference to the taste, I've been so precious about it for so long!!

zoidberg

Visit site
True. But after 8 years I stick it together first thing every day from pure muscle memory, alert, sleepy, hungover, whatever. The only thing that messes me up is if my wife has put the assemblage back in the cupboard in the wrong place or in the wrong order ?
Yes. Muscle memory, 'cognitive rehearsal' or 'operant conditioning'.....

The first shelf of the cupboard right above our kettle is sacrosanct. There resides my cafetiere, my jar of ground coffee, my mug. I don't need to see them. There are times I can't see them. I can make my coffee with my eyes shut.

All hell breaks loose if I discover Milady has been 'tidying up'.....

Black Sheep

Visit site
Oh, and if I've let the kettle boil. That messes my morning routine up too cos it means I have to add a bit of cold water so not to burn the coffee.
What I do... let the kettle boil! Pour boiling water into clean coffee mug. Allow to stand for a short while. Pour back into kettle. Result = one warm mug; one kettle of water cool enough to make coffee. The resulting cop of coffee stays hot longer (and stands more milk/cream if you adulterate the bean juice, as I do).

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Perhaps we should set up a survey of coffee preparation and heads emptying! While we are at it we could add in anchor preferences and I could think of other issues but they may be too inflammatory :rolleyes: