Cockpit Table

julia

Visit site
Hi
Can anyone recommend a really nice detachable cockpit table .
We have a Mirage 28. Should be sturdy ! and have bracket mounts that you do not bang your shins on in a lively tack.
Hoping for some " al fresco" dining this year in Brittany
Thanks and fair winds

G

I am planning on adapting my cabin table to cockpit use this year .... It is a detachable folding table that drops down to provide the divan bunk base as well. It has a central folding leg and a hook / clip affair at the hull end.

The outer edge next to the hull slips into a slot and a bottle screw end then is placed in the U clip under the table and the thumb nut tightened to hold the table in place. It works fine. The screw part is actually one screw end of an old tuirnbuckle / bottle screw .... drilled at the end of the thread and then a pin to hinge it on the cabin side.

All I need to do is to fit another 'screw' end in the cockpit with a slot guide of ply on the aft bulkhead and the table goes out there for 'al-fresco' dining !

E-mail me direct and I'll try and knock up a sketch of the idea .... ncl@naviatech.ee

lewis2

Visit site
Try IKEA they do one that looks the same as the teak folding table but only about £16, I have one and stow it when sailing good luck!

DanTribe

Visit site
Camping and caravan shops are often a good source for these sort of gadgets.Last year I bought a great demountable table leg frame by a manufacturer called Forma, thinking that I could get an additional mounting bracket,but the manufacturers web site is not responding.Does anyone where I can get spares?

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Your best value solution is one of the fine hardwood slatted tables sold in IKEA, that fold away for easy stowing. Looks very nautical. Mine has attracted admiring comments - even without offering a welcoming drink! Cost about £19 - you stain or varnish it yourself. Probabaly the only solution for tiller boats.

Anything in teak and tailor made, and proabably permanently installed on the steering wheel binacle will cost a fortune and get in the way, unless your cockpit is quite sizeable.

So why not try the IKEA approach first - not much to risk is it?

PWG

pvb

Visit site
If you don\'t want to pay a fortune...

Most cockpit tables are designed to fit on a wheel-steering pedestal. I guess your Mirage is tiller-steered. So look at camping/caravanning tables. Good catalogue to have is from Towsure (www.towsure.co.uk) - lots of kit at remarkably attractive prices.

julia

Visit site
Thanks for all the good advice. We will look at IKEA, camping shops first before we venture into the DIY . Time is of the essence !

Julia

Footpad

Visit site
Cheap, available and not too nasty

After searching for ages (wish I had tried Ikea) we settled for your standard plastic garden table from a garden center. The legs pull out and stow in clips under the top and we chuck it down the 1/4 berth with all the other rubbish. They are not all horrid white ours is a nice dark green which goes well with the deck paint.