Cleaning heads pipes!

oldgit

Visit site
The calcium build up on the miles of loo pipe in my old Princess 35 (at least 20 feet) had reduced the 2.5 inch ? internal pipe to something a pencil , let alone anything else, would not go through.
Tried all sorts of magic potions until removal and new pipe appeared to be the only option.
Then found out just how expensive the proper pipe was.
Had to cut the old clogged pipe into two sections just to get it out.
Spent a couple of hours whacking pipe with rubber hammer to break up calcium into small enough lumps to flush it out with freshwater hose pipe, then refitted with union to join the two lengths of pipe together.
It was still flushing well when boat was sold a few years later.

Some of us frequently boat with others, guests, family, friends etc, have no intention of giving a pre departure bog briefing before each trip or leaving whatever am doing to stand outside the bog to ensure somebody gives the required 7 pumps or whatever.
Anywho.... now have a 21st century freshwater toilet, will gladly endure the odd failure to avoid declogging pipes and never ever having to enjoy that delightful aroma of Hydrogen Sulphide ? again.
:)

Last edited:

Poecheng

Visit site
Trudesign fittings don't like drain cleaner even though the stuff comes in plastic bottles. I was trying to clean an elbow (off the boat) and it went tacky and soft. Luckily I had replaced it as I was altering the layout.

For the OP the pipe if blocked that bad will require replacement and in future flush more water through the system.
Thanks for the warning - didn't know that.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If you use hydrochloric acid, it's a good idea to leave the bowl covered with cling film as hydrochloric acid fumes are a tad corrosive.
You may notice a sharp smell from it but it won't be a problem and won't burn holes in anything what is far more important is to take care when pouring it into the heads bowl so that it doesn't splash on your face or clothes, if it does douse with copious quantities of cold water. Wearing glasses is a suitable precaution past that with commercially available products there is nothing to be overly concerned with.

The cling film on the seat is a good trick especially if someone tries to use it without noticing.

srm

Visit site
Some of us frequently boat with others, guests, family, friends etc, have no intention of giving a pre departure bog briefing before each trip or leaving whatever am doing to stand outside the bog to ensure somebody gives the required 7 pumps or whatever.
If at least one person on board fully flushes the system after each of their uses, and the system is flushed before the boat is left unused there should be nothing in the pipes for long enough to cause a build up of calcium.
One of my boats was used for skippered charter/sailing school and we had no problems.

capnsensible

Visit site
If at least one person on board fully flushes the system after each of their uses, and the system is flushed before the boat is left unused there should be nothing in the pipes for long enough to cause a build up of calcium.
One of my boats was used for skippered charter/sailing school and we had no problems.
Lucky you! :)

PlanB

Visit site
We would use agua fuerte for blockages, but found a weekly flush through with white vinegar helped keep clear. And of course, adequate flushing each use.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Its all very well to talk about copious flushing if the discharge valve is always open, or you have a huge tank. My 13M caterman has 4 double cabins and 2 heads. The black tanks are each just 40L capacity, and it's totally illegal to discharge to the sea anywhere in Turkish waters. When I bought the boat the discharge valves were in the open position, and it was, and still is, so hard to close them, I think they were always open on charter.
Both mine are fitted with Commoderizers Why Our Tablets - Commoderizer and I forked out for the tablets a couple of months ago to see how they'd work. They've certainly eliminated the sulphur smell from the sea water but whether they're keeping the pipes clean, who knows?

Boater Sam

Visit site
HCL brick cleaner will take the chrome plating off fittings.

I use phosphoric acid, bought in 5 litre plastic bottles, it will not affect metals or plastics in the dilution as supplied which is usually 10% to 15%. No bad smells either.

Parabordi

Visit site
The calcium build up on the miles of loo pipe in my old Princess 35 (at least 20 feet) had reduced the 2.5 inch ? internal pipe to something a pencil , let alone anything else, would not go through.
Tried all sorts of magic potions until removal and new pipe appeared to be the only option.
Then found out just how expensive the proper pipe was.
Had to cut the old clogged pipe into two sections just to get it out.
Spent a couple of hours whacking pipe with rubber hammer to break up calcium into small enough lumps to flush it out with freshwater hose pipe, then refitted with union to join the two lengths of pipe together.
It was still flushing well when boat was sold a few years later.

Anywho.... now have a 21st century freshwater toilet, will gladly endure the odd failure to avoid declogging pipes and never ever having to enjoy that delightful aroma of Hydrogen Sulphide ? again.
:)
yep thats what you told me to do with mine, and it worked a treat for me too!!

srm

Visit site
Lucky you! :)
The volume moved and ease of use of the toilet pump may have something to do with it. The boat had a Lavac that uses the Henderson Mk5 pump and the standard instruction notice clearly visible. I much prefer it to the Jabsco and similar types with more complex fiddly pumps/valves both for ease of pumping and freedom from drips/leaks.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
HCL brick cleaner will take the chrome plating off fittings.

I use phosphoric acid, bought in 5 litre plastic bottles, it will not affect metals or plastics in the dilution as supplied which is usually 10% to 15%. No bad smells either.
Of course it will if you immerse them in it and so will the marine environment as witnessed by the taps in any MAB heads.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The volume moved and ease of use of the toilet pump may have something to do with it. The boat had a Lavac that uses the Henderson Mk5 pump and the standard instruction notice clearly visible. I much prefer it to the Jabsco and similar types with more complex fiddly pumps/valves both for ease of pumping and freedom from drips/leaks.

I fitted an electric pump in series with my Hinderson Mk5 with a time delay relay to operate the electric pump for the required time to fully clear any head pipe work

No more calcium blockages

Reactions: srm

B27

Visit site
We have the sink drain rigged so it can be pumped through the toilet, that avoids salt water lying in the pipes so much and allows chemicals of your choice to be pump through easily.

I suspect some of the variation in having calcium problems or not might be a variation in the calcium content of sea water?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
We have the sink drain rigged so it can be pumped through the toilet, that avoids salt water lying in the pipes so much and allows chemicals of your choice to be pump through easily.

I suspect some of the variation in having calcium problems or not might be a variation in the calcium content of sea water?
It's not the salt water or rather it's the piss combined with the saltwater stop one or the other standing in the pipes equals no problem, I always preferred eliminating the piss.