Chocblocks

jaminb

Visit site
I am worried now. I used those heat shrink solder connectors to rejoin the fine data wires in the headlining after I cut to get the mast down. I intended to use Wago's but couldn't get them to clamp on the fine wires, plus I don't think there would be room in the void for all the connections.

I used an electric heat gun to warm up the connector, I could see the solder fuse into the twisted join before the heat shrink started to shrivel. I couldn't pull them apart at the time but better check to see if the solder has crept and they are now falling apart!

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I have a large box of varied sized Heatshrink solder connectors. I have watched loads of videos where they do the job brilliantly.

I have tried so many different heat ways to get them to work and NONE have proved anywhere even remotely successful. The moment you start to think about pulling to test - wire comes out. I've even left to go stone cold after serious heat .. same .. wire pulls out as if nothing there.

I admit I do use chocblocks but I also use Wago's ... the only thing I have about Wago's - is I wish they could have the tabs 180 deg to each other - so the cable is a straight line instead of both entering same side.
Inline wago connectors do just that. Wago 221-2411 32A 2-Way Inline Lever Connectors 60 Pack - Screwfix

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I couldn't pull them apart at the time but better check to see if the solder has crept and they are now falling apart!
Solder only creeps under long term mechanical stress, for example a soldered wire in a screw down or crimp connector. No stress, no creep - which is why soldered electronic circuits don't fall apart.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Refueler

Visit site

harvey38

Visit site
Wago make lots of different connectors, some of these are neat for multiple inline connections : 261-112/341-000 | WAGO 261 Series Grey Terminal Strip, 2.5mm², Single-Level, Clamp Termination | RS

I recently completely rewired my dash, twin engines and several gauges, so needed something fairly compact. I decided on these : 4-conductor through terminal block (281-652) | WAGO

With the fine, multi strand wiring we use on boats it's essential to crimp bootlace ferules on all of the wires.

View attachment 182501
Out of interest Paul and off topic, what do you instrument feeds do you run through the NMEA converter? My engine data goes through an Alba Combi unit but I've used all of the PGNs on that and still need to digitise trim tab, fresh and waste water data. Was it easy to set up?

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Wago make lots of different connectors, some of these are neat for multiple inline connections : https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/din-rail-terminal-blocks/0815852

I recently completely rewired my dash, twin engines and several gauges, so needed something fairly compact. I decided on these : 4-conductor through terminal block (281-652) | WAGO

With the fine, multi strand wiring we use on boats it's essential to crimp bootlace ferules on all of the wires.

View attachment 182501
That looks vey neat. 🙂

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
None of those techniques would have been any use whatsoever for Captain Bodger trying to get his nav lights working again, or rigging up some temporary lighting over a dead engine, while hanging upside down in the bilges, or at arms length in the back of a locker, while the boat rolls along on some dark rainy night.
Love it :)