Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Stinker

Votes: 115 80.4%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 13 9.1%

• Total voters

nicho

Visit site
I have mobo'd up and down that stretch many time when based at Chi. By and large, both sides of the spectrum behave well, but between the two "sides" it doesn't take much to spark a row. I have to say in this case, it's a bit unreasonable to be tackng in such a narrow fairway, another half mile and there's as much room as necessary to practice going about without risking confrontation.
I was in the same bit of water once, when a yacht tacked whilst outside the fairway, and crossed very close in front - I had to do a crash stop to avoid a collision. There was little warning as he came between the row of moored yachts. It did lead to a frank exchange of words, but no real harm done.

DPH

Visit site
There was no collision hence nobody at fault, however, bit stupid of the yachts to be taking in a channel like that when there is a lot of traffic about.

The motor boat really is ignorant of other users, if it is Daka then I'm shocked cos he's been a boater for quite a long time but is acting like a newbie. Having to use power to get out of a situation is a last resort option, it increases the risk of damage if a collision occurs and the resultant wake can also cause further harm. You don't need to be able to sail to understand the pattern a sailboat makes tacking in a channel. In effect the MB put his boat in the path of the yachts.

doug748

Visit site
Yes, an interesting point made in the other place, that the moboat guy had his dashcam in position, and acted, almost as if he were out to prove a point.

dombuckley

Visit site
Yes, an interesting point made in the other place, that the moboat guy had his dashcam in position, and acted, almost as if he were out to prove a point.
+1. The very fact he got himself into the same situation twice in 90 seconds suggests it was deliberate. Even the hireboat grockles on the Broads overtake yachts with more consideration and seamanship than this, and often with much less room to play.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
As the mobo approaches yacht 1, the yacht does seem to be moving quite slowly to starboard so I can see why the mobo thought it was a good idea to overtake on the port side. Oddly, the mobo make a slight turn to starboard at 45 secs which might have been a sensible move but I suspect he was already gaining ground too quickly so decided on a turn to port instead. Amazingly he does it again with yacht 2 but this team passes even closer due to the oncoming yacht.

But ultimately, the mobo is at fault. As others have said he should have slowed down, tucked in behind the yachts to the starboard side of the channel and passed as they made their respective turns to port.

CLB

Visit site
There was no collision hence nobody at fault, however, bit stupid of the yachts to be taking in a channel like that when there is a lot of traffic about.

The motor boat really is ignorant of other users, if it is Daka then I'm shocked cos he's been a boater for quite a long time but is acting like a newbie. Having to use power to get out of a situation is a last resort option, it increases the risk of damage if a collision occurs and the resultant wake can also cause further harm. You don't need to be able to sail to understand the pattern a sailboat makes tacking in a channel. In effect the MB put his boat in the path of the yachts.

I'll eat my hat if the video is actually of DAKA. :D

dombuckley

Visit site
I see your reasoning, however the time stamp on the video (just visible under the row of 8s in the bottom left corner) coincides with the date that "Dakaprincess" uploaded the video to Youtube, nearly 2 years ago. That's a helluva long "lead time" just for a spot of trolling.

l'escargot

Visit site
I see your reasoning, however the time stamp on the video (just visible under the row of 8s in the bottom left corner) coincides with the date that "Dakaprincess" uploaded the video to Youtube, nearly 2 years ago. That's a helluva long "lead time" just for a spot of trolling.
Pete has had at least one troll waiting on the sidelines for sometime, the responses to the last few he tried weren't in the spirit that he enjoys so he has held back. Perhaps he's just testing the water.... ;)

Keen_Ed

Visit site
So the first time I arrive in a narrow channel and my outboard doesn't start, and I haven't practised it, or honed the skill.... am I still being inconsiderate? I'd call it good seamanship, but clearly there are a lot of polarised opinions on whether it is inconsiderate or not... best probably to agree to disagree? :)

Exactly. Personally, I think that in the afternoon on Tuesday in September is a fair enough time to be practising. A Saturday in July/ August? Not so much.

Last edited:

superheat6k

Visit site
I once met a dinghy racer whilst navigating Chi harbour fairly close to low water and navigating a 36' yacht under engine up towards Itchenor en route to Chi Marina. As I proceeded along this narrow channel said racing dinghy appeared under my port quarter, on stbd tack and in the same general direction, and dripping like stuck tap that I would soon see him. I had already seen him and assessed that as he was overtaking me I was obliged to maintain my course and speed, whilst he took suitable course adjustments to avoid me. Thing was Richard Head, now in my lee and due to my air draft, with no effective wind, had failed to read the bit about an overtaking boats obligation to stand clear, regardless of whether he be under engine or sail.

I attempted to explain this rule but hey ho - he didn't win his race.

mobeydick

Visit site
Exactly. Personally, I think that in the afternoon on Tuesday in September is a fair enough time to be practising. A Saturday in July/ August? Not so much.

That is not busy! In the video there is PLENTY or room to tack up the channel. It must be a complete novice at the helm of the mobo. The horn was not needed either: I assume it was a 'I am here' warning.

I am amazed at the number of of replies that include some form of abusive shouting at other boaters in ANY circumstances. If you feel the need, hold your breath for 20 seconds: if the other boater is still in earshot, repeat.

nicho

Visit site
That is not busy! In the video there is PLENTY or room to tack up the channel. It must be a complete novice at the helm of the mobo. The horn was not needed either: I assume it was a 'I am here' warning.

I am amazed at the number of of replies that include some form of abusive shouting at other boaters in ANY circumstances. If you feel the need, hold your breath for 20 seconds: if the other boater is still in earshot, repeat.

That's fine, but when the other party starts harangueing you, and you feel you are in the right, they deserve to get both barrels

bigwow

Visit site
For me sailing, or moboing, in that location is akin to driving on the M25, for masochists only!:encouragement:

ianj99

Visit site
Whether they should be sailing in such a confined space is one matter.

+1 Outrageous to be sailing in such a narrow fairway. Such action is not what sailing is about, even had there been no other vessels underway about.

The mobo's performance was used correctly to avoid the gormless & inconsiderate raggies.

Last edited:

NealB

Visit site
+1 Outrageous to be sailing in such a narrow fairway. Such action is not what sailing is about, even had there been no other vessels underway about.

No it isn't (ie it's not 'outrageous') .... that strikes me as pure intolerance.

It might not be what you enjoy, but, if others enjoy it, I see no harm at all in it.

The only problem I see is an incompetent power boat skipper.

Last edited: