Cherbourg still dodgy

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Contact details of all the SE England MEPs here!
Daniel Hannan's office number in Brussels is 00322 284 7137. They are going to send me a copy of their letter of complaint but regret they regret that this is a matter for the French authorities.
British Honorary Consulate, Cherbourg here. They tell me that the fishermen have allowed a mass exit of British yachts today.

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
And there was me thinking that I'd have to go over to Cherbourg dressed in beret and stipey top and throw wine cases into the harbour, oo-err what am I saying.

Nurse, give me my medication now.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Just received this:-
Dear Mr Ellis,

Thank you for your call earlier. I have just been talking to the embassy in Paris (0033144513100) and M. Caron the Honorary Consul in Cherbourg (0033233035060). The yachts were allowed to leave yesterday after negotiations from the mayor of Cherbourg and the fishermen. The tides meant that the last of them left the Marina at midday today. I asked him about the points you raised and it appears that it was only the Marina that was blockaded as the small number of fishermen that were involved were unable to block the commercial port. Action is being taken against those that fired the flare by the local authorities as jurisdiction over the Marina lies with the Mayor rather than the national authorities. However, individual complaints must be addressed to the local police for any criminal prosecutions to commence.

I also asked M. Caron whether there was likely to be a repeat and he certainly didn't think that it would, so I hope that your holiday will still be able to go ahead. On a personal note, I can't believe that this was allowed to happen. If we hear anything else, I'll pass it on to you.

Yours sincerely,

Leo Meredith

Assistant to Daniel Hannan MEP

Tel: 00 32 2 284 7137

Norman_E

Visit site
What planet does this fellow live on that he "can't believe this was allowed to happen"?

Does he not realise that violent (and often zenophobic) protests are part of the French way of life, and that the French Authorities do little or nothing to stop them.

I remember British lorries carrying lamb being exported to France being set on fire. British lorries being deliberately sent down muddy farm tracks by the Gendarmes during the fuel protests a few years ago, whilst French lorries were allowed through to Cherbourg. And just how many times have the fishermen blockaded ports to protest fish quotas or fuel costs?

Talulah

Visit site
We were blockaded in on Saturday night in St Vaast. We able to leave 1pm on Sunday with no trouble.
The fisherman had also blockaded the local SUpermarket. They went in with a row of trolleys. Loaded up all the fish from from the cabinets and left without paying. The fish were then given to locals without charge.
Imagine going in to Tesco's to do that! We did not see any police at any time over the weekend.
The marina bar/restaurant owner was also extremely pissed off due to lack of business. The French staying away who would ordinarily be taking their boats out on what should have been an extremely busy weekend.
I doubt all the French fisherman are that bad and it is the militants who are taring everybody with the same brush.

Pete7

Visit site
You were lucky to leave then, as the rope baracade over the lock was put back up that evening. One british yacht did try to escape from St Vaast but the only thing it achieved was his boat being rammed by a french trawler and the rope being replaced by heavy chain and trawlers placed to narrow the gap in the lock. A pontoon rumour of being allowed out at midnight on the Monday failed to materialise so we all went back to bed. However at 11am on Tuesday the Capitanarie passed the word that they would allow us out from 1.20 pm - 2pm, which they duly did and 14 boats (some French) quickly moved out of St Vaast. Sadly we missed a calm weather window and faced a F6 on the nose with driving rain and mist to get home /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif not a pleasant night for us.

Pete

pmyatt

Visit site
The French fishermen's protest is not just about fuel - they can't stand Sarkozy - just like a lot of people in the UK and Brooooon. They are putting down a marker for the future when all their cosy subsidies come under scrutiny.

wicked

www.evolution26.org
I was there from Friday till Monday evening and I would thoroughly recommend going during a blockade - Marina is free and you can stock up on free shower tokens for your next visit. Fishermen provide barbecues and they even kindly threw present of bottles of beer to some yachts that wanted to go early.

I did wonder if my rights to freedom of movement within the EU were being compromised, but I forgot to ask the fishermen on the way out. Does anyone know ?? I should have asked whoever was in charge but nobody knew who that was. Maybe I'll email the Mayor and ask him !

Dave