Cast iron keel prep

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Is it worth stripping a cast iron keel and epoxying it?

Seems like a lot of work, is it likely to be succesful in preventing rust in future? All I've done previously was to jetwash/Scrub, treat rust, prime, and antifoul.

Concerto

Visit site
No, not worth epoxying a cast iron keel. Continue treating any areas of rust is the best policy.

When I purchased Concerto, the keel was in an OK condition. It was stripped back and treated twice with Fertan rust treatment followed by 5 coats of Primocon. When next lifted, there were areas where rust was active, so treated again. This has been repeated a number of times since. When lifted in August after 2 years afloat the amount of rust was almost negligable.

IMG_2833 1000pix.jpg

IMG_2834 1000pix.jpg

The lower part of the keel has been pushed through mud and shingle and broken through the paint layers, hence some rust there. Still nothing major considering it is impossible to seal under the keel.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, if you are prepared to have it blasted and coat it immediately as in the photos. Before and after. Coating is six coats of Hempadur and then Coppercoat. Blasting cost and Hempadur approx £450

Otherwise no. Local grinding, Primocon or similar and antifoul as per Concerto. Personally not convinced about the value of Fertan if you grind clean - it is a rust converter/stabiliser rather than a bare metal sealer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200605_180124.jpg
    IMG_20200605_180124.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200623_150038.jpg
    IMG_20200623_150038.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 16

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
Tercco blasted entire keel, 2 coats of Fertan, 5 coats of Primocon and finally 2 coats of Tigre Extra. Felt pleased with it until I dived on it 2 months later. Let's just say I won't be bothering to do that amount of work again.!

WoodyP

Visit site
Tercco blasted entire keel, 2 coats of Fertan, 5 coats of Primocon and finally 2 coats of Tigre Extra. Felt pleased with it until I dived on it 2 months later. Let's just say I won't be bothering to do that amount of work again.!
My view entirely. I am now down to spot treatment of the worst, Anti foul and back in. Nobody sees the work, and I am not that worried about a few scabby bits on my MAB.

Tranona

Visit site
Sorry, but the waste was in not coating properly with epoxy if it had been blasted to the right finish. The Hempadur to do my keel above cost less than £100. Bit tedious to apply the necessary coats - took me 3 days. another £200 or so would have got you Coppercoat as well.

dankilb

Visit site
Fertan on freshly blasted metal is a waste of money and may even have compromised the coatings laid on top.
Omg I can’t think of anything worse to apply before a coating.

Epoxy primers will adhere (and may replicate if not exceed the protection offered on original castings - i.e. 15-20 years) if applied after proper blasting.

Leave rust converters way out of the equation (unless you only want a couple of years’ protection with vinyl primer and AF).

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Yes, if you are prepared to have it blasted and coat it immediately as in the photos. Before and after. Coating is six coats of Hempadur and then Coppercoat. Blasting cost and Hempadur approx £450

Otherwise no. Local grinding, Primocon or similar and antifoul as per Concerto. Personally not convinced about the value of Fertan if you grind clean - it is a rust converter/stabiliser rather than a bare metal sealer.
When buying my previous boat, the seller advised me to grind clean, leave overnight, then apply rust converter.

Kelpie

Visit site
I asked a similar question a few days ago. I'm still a bit confused about the options for primers.
Looking at SVB24 (boat is in Spain) I can choose:
- Epotec Epoxy primer
- various one-part primers
- VC Tar
- Interprotect

The epoxy one is only EUR17 a tin, the same price as e.g. Primocon. Surely it's a no brainer to go for it, or is there some downside?

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I came to the conclusion years ago that the only way to keep the keel rust free is to grit blast to Swedish standard 2.5, epoxy prime, top coat and store under cover from then on.
Realistically, blast clean, epoxy prime immediately, apply top coat and anti foul. Carry out spot treatment in subsequent years including blast treatment. Basically the same system as used on oil rigs.

Kelpie

Visit site
So should I be epoxying and then applying a second conventional primer on top of that, before AF?

I don't really want/expect to have the boat out of the water very often (we are living aboard and are on a fairly small budget). We're only lifted just now because of an emergency trip home, and we will only have a couple of days to prep the keel before we launch.

dankilb

Visit site
So should I be epoxying and then applying a second conventional primer on top of that, before AF?
Yes! In theory (i.e. TDSs!) a tie coat of underwater primer is recommended between epoxy and AF.

I say ‘in theory’ because I personally couldn’t say why! Sure someone will know…

dankilb

Visit site
I did, every year:(
There may be some vague logic to that - namely, leaving overnight allows flash rusting to occur and gives the ‘converter’ something to convert.

As others have said, best get to clean metal (blasting ideally) and immediately coat (not with rust converters which - despite what they claim - are not primers). Priming after blasting gives maximum adhesion, immediate protection, and minimum (flash) rusting and contamination - in theory.

Tranona

Visit site
I did, every year:(
Why would you want to do that every year? If you are looking just at patching every year then just Primocon after grinding is the way to go. If a longer solution is sought then blast/epoxy is worth considering. Just can't see any benefit in letting a clean bright metal go rusty so a rust converter can be used.

Kelpie

Visit site
Given that I only have a couple of days to do this job, maybe epoxy/primocon/AF is a bit overkill? Just grind back and prime?
OTOH I don't know when we will next lift out.

Tranona

Visit site
Forget epoxy. Primocon is easy stuff - as many coats as you can get on in the time you are out of the water. Jotun Vinyguard is a good alternative to Primocon if you can get it, much cheaper and just as effective, but only available in 5L cans - around £30 in UK.