Cardiff Bay Berthing Arrangements

sb99

Visit site
Met a couple of guys on Saturday night over at the pontoons at Mermaid Quay. They had tied up and waned to know if they were allowed to sleepover on these pontoons. I said I didn’t think they were as I had been refused a few weeks earlier by the harbour master staff.

I gave them the Harbour master contact details but all agreed that if they asked the question they would more than likely be told no. I think they were going to chance staying anyway, hope they had a good night.

They were complaining that the information available was very poor regarding over night berthing in the area.

In case I get asked again can those in the know confirm what overnight facilities are available in the area. I know berths are available in the Marina and I was able to provide contact details etc.
What is available at CBYC and CYC? Are there such facilities at Cambrians?

In addition if you could add fuel availability in area, I know petrol and diesel available at Marina and Tesco. Where else?

P.S. Great weather on the weekend, thank goodness summer has ended /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Cardiff Bay Yachy Club have visitor's moorings and, I'm led to believe, also sell diesel.
We have allways overnited here when in Cardiff, the club is great but you are a bit isolated, unless you go by boat /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Allan

Visit site
I'm a member at CYC and can confirm the above. I would also add that it is only a short walk from the club to Mermaid quay via the nature reserve and St Davids. That way you can eat/drink there without the charges that embarress us all! You really are welcome in Cardiff dispite what the rip-off council try to portray!
Allan

Sneds

Visit site
CYC sounds attractive, are the visitors berths signed?
Would be good to be able to walk to Mermaid Quay as it is not allowed to moor there overnight.
Do CYC have a web site?
Do you have to have a sailing boat (2 turbo diesels!)? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Csail

N/A
Visit site
CBYC has visitors pontoon (one nearest the barrage) also electricity ,diesel,bar & showers.

I think you can stay in Mermaid Quay but only in the dock under St.Davids hotel

CYC is friendly but not sure about facilities.

duppamiller

Visit site
I've stayed over night on Mermaid Quay a couple of times and not had any problems so far. The Harbour Authority blurb just states that "use of the pontoons is subject to Terms and Conditions that are displayed on the pontoon". I was over there a couple of weeks ago and looked for said terms and conditions, but couldn't find any. The pay and display machine will happily take your money all night long.

So if you've just thrown a tenner in the machine and have a ticket valid until the morning, point out that there's no signs that say you can't and maybe mention that you've had a few drinks, it seems unlikely that you'll be moved on . . . Personally I think the cost and lack of facilities is outweighed by being able to sit in a bar at gone midnight knowing that you've got the shortest distance to crawl home!

solitaire11

Visit site
my friends allways overnight in the old drydock by st davids, the harbourmaster even loned them an electric cable one time. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Allan

Visit site
The CYC visitor pontoon is quite easy to find. If you head towards the flyover, until you have passed the trots of moorings and turn towards the clubhouse it is located at the bottom of the two pontoons on the right. Walking to Mermaid quay as I mentioned above takes you past the pay pontoons in the old dry docks mentioned above. I understand CBYC is very nice and only a taxi ride from Mermaid quay and the other attractions.
Allan