Can NMEA engine data displayed on B&G Vulcan 7 ?

Venus1

Visit site
I will be installing a new Volvo D1-30, and can option it with the NMEA cable output for basic engine data (revs, temp, volts).
My B&G Vulcan 7 (which I love, by the way) would, I hope, be able to display revs, temp etc.
But I can't bring up a tachometer screen. I'm guessing there may be no " engine " page unless there's engine data input.
I've read the Vulcan manual. It says third party NMEA can be connected, and consult the third party manual - which I haven't got, and online Volvo manual is ambiguous. Furthermore I have had conflicting answers from Volvo agents.
So: does anybody have basic engine data on their Vulcan 7 ?
TIA

Martin_J

Visit site
The B&G Vulcan installation manual here (page 48)..
vulcan-series-install-manual EN

shows it can read NMEA PGNs 127488 127489

These are the Rapid Update engine parameters such as RPM and the Dynamic (slower update) paramaters such as oil pressure and temperature.

I've only got the Zeus plotter and they are customizable on that.. The Vulcan manual (link below and download the EN version) suggests that the Instrument panel displays are similarly customizable.

vulcan-series-owners-manual EN

Page 155 - Customizing the Instruments Panel.

I'd say that so long as you can get the NMEA2000 output from your engine then the Vulcan should work. (Not NMEA 0183)!

Venus1

Visit site
Thanks MJ,
I would still like to see an image of a tacho display on the Vulcan, to reassure me that it exists and works - but your references have helped me conclude with some certainty that this feature will indeed work. (I think my manual may be an older version.)
Are you saying that you have engine data displayed on your Zueus?
Cheers, V1

Venus1

Visit site
Update: (hopefully useful for those who may consider this)image.jpg
Today I successfully displayed engine data on my B&G Vulcan 7, after connecting the Volvo NMEA adapter to the engine's MDI.
I'm not sure if all the data fields will function, but at least I have tacho, temp, engine hours, alternator volts (this pic is with the engine not running).

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I am a little late to help the OP but I did this last year using the Engine Gateway from Yacht Devices. http://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html This may be a lower cost option that the Volvo adapter.

I have a Zeus2 plotter which essentially allows similar display to the Vulcan. My engine is also Volvo D1-30.

To be honest, I don't find the information to be of great use but it is handy to see the engine revs on remote screens and in my automated logbook.

Deny4444

Visit site
Update: (hopefully useful for those who may consider this)View attachment 66014
Today I successfully displayed engine data on my B&G Vulcan 7, after connecting the Volvo NMEA adapter to the engine's MDI.
I'm not sure if all the data fields will function, but at least I have tacho, temp, engine hours, alternator volts (this pic is with the engine not running).
Hy did you manage to connect the rpm and othesr sensors to the b and g vulcan7. I have the same plotter and the d1 30 so it would be a lot of help for me if you did it

Deny4444

Visit site
I know that but i want to know how he did it in detail so i can do it. I have albacombi nmea 2000 converter so i can convert analog to nmea2000. But i dont know how

KompetentKrew

Visit site
If the data is on the NMEA 2000 bus then it's trivial to show it on the Vulcan, e.g. section 19 of the manual. (You can also show it in the data bar at the side of the chart screen though.)

AbOCfZ0.png

MWKVE4r.png

Deny4444

Visit site
I saw this but i dont know is it possible to show tacho rpm, lets say oil pressure and water temperature. That is what i am looking to add to my plotteer

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I know that but i want to know how he did it in detail so i can do it. I have albacombi nmea 2000 converter so i can convert analog to nmea2000. But i dont know how
Post #5 gives another option, which is probably a better one:

"I am a little late to help the OP but I did this last year using the Engine Gateway from Yacht Devices. Engine Gateway for Volvo Penta and J1939 engines This may be a lower cost option that the Volvo adapter."

You fit the Yacht Devices adapter, following the instructions in the link about and then connect it to your NMEA 2000 network.

If you don't have a NMEA network you will have to build one.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It isn't helpful to drip feed information.

The devices being discussed in posts #4 and #5 connect to the Volvo wiring and then to the NMEA2000 network, it's simple. The AlbaCombi is a different approach for a different type of engine. It's much more involved and a lot of extra work, i would suggest you sell it and get the Yacht Devices converter link to in post #5. Failing that, the AlbaCombi instructions are all on the website AlbaCombi Analogue to NMEA2000 Converter - Engine Monitoring

Once that's all done you just connect it to your NMEA 2000 network.

Deny4444

Visit site
So i managed to put the data field but in the menu it only has the fuel and the oil. There is no engine rpm or engine temp. Maybe when i connect something like that it will show it.

Attachments

• IMG-20240820-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240820-WA0006.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20240820-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240820-WA0007.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 4

PaulRainbow

Visit site
So i managed to put the data field but in the menu it only has the fuel and the oil. There is no engine rpm or engine temp. Maybe when i connect something like that it will show it.
What analogue sensors have you connected to the AlbaCombi ?

Have you connect it to a laptop and configured it ?

Deny4444

Visit site
Not yet my engine is in parts so i will take few sensors and try to configure them and then connet all to the vulcan7. My engine now

Attachments

• IMG-20240820-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20240820-WA0009.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 3