Campbeltown Visit

Spyro

Visit site
The guy that runs the pontoons is a bit nary about making sure you've paid (even when there are not payment envelopes left and he hasn't said where else you can drop off the money). Decent enough bloke but not always on the ball - I usually ask at the RNLI place about where I can pay if there's any problems.

You can pay at the Tourist info office, Be warned....If you don't pay and you're spotted they post your boat name on the notice board at the end of the pontoon.

Quandary

Visit site
You can pay at the Tourist info office, Be warned....If you don't pay and you're spotted they post your boat name on the notice board at the end of the pontoon.
The berthing money collector retired (or gave up trying) so now all dues should be paid in the tourist information office overlooking the pontoon. There are very strong hopes of an improvement to the berthing facilities, they are in the running for some of the 'Sail West' money which is already being directed at Mallaig.
Crinan is in line for a new shower/ toilet block beside the basin but since as well as Donegal County Council ( administrators of the Sail West Funds) it involves British Waterways and was only announced at the beginning of last year it may be a while yet.
The new operator of the visitors moorings at Stein in Loch Bay ( the Dive Centre) was bemoaning the number of non payers after spending a lot of his own money servicing them. I suggested he post the boat names on their web site like they do at Carrick Castle.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Campbeltown airport was the European emergency landing site for the Space Shuttle. Long runway (3km) in an East/West direction and little other activity. One never had to land there, but there's not many places that can claim that.

Spyro

Visit site
Campbeltown airport was the European emergency landing site for the Space Shuttle. Long runway (3km) in an East/West direction and little other activity. One never had to land there, but there's not many places that can claim that.

That would be Machrihanish RAF base. formally home of navy seals and top secret Aurora spy planes ;);)

wotayottie

Visit site
Planning a first visit to Campbeltown next week.
Can I expect to get a spot alongside the pontoon?
Is there anything to be wary of, other than what's in the Clyde Cruising pilot ?

Yes - its a dump. All you need to add to feel suicidal is rain and low cloud.

Rabbit

Visit site
See for yourself

I agree. We've been loads of times over the years and never had any problems and enjoyed our stay. Can't really see the reason for all the jibes frankly. Yes the youngsters buzz about in their hot hatches, but so what. As for the drunks? I have not witnessed any more than you see in many other isolated town and considerably less than you will see in any of our cities and big town centres. I have never seen any trouble or seen any tense situations giving me the impression somethings going to kick off. I would say ignore the people slagging the place, go along and see for yourself.

Hi there,

We have also been in there many times.

Happy to go many more.

kind regards,

Les.