CA Almanac - More up to date than Reeds?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Hopefully it’ll be modernised a bit, using it this week and the language feels very out of touch and some of it entirely meaningless when you think about what is said.
I shall treasure my last edition to be produced by Tom - signed as well. I enjoy Tom's whimsy, humourous style & anecdotes.

However, times change and something along the lines of the superb CCC guides would be more in keeping with modern mores.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
The wise cruising yachtsman, particularly when away from their cruising ground, will have as many sources as possible - and ensure that they can get by without the internet.

And to those few, unwelcoming and rather grumpy souls, grumbling about cruisers turning up less than 100% in the know and bumbling about in search of anchorages, moorings & berths that may have moved or disappeared, remember that this sense of exploration of the unknown is part of our sport.

lustyd

Visit site
I enjoy Tom's whimsy, humourous style & anecdotes.
Whimsy is fine in editorial or fiction but it’s far from a good style for compendiums of knowledge. It’s unhelpful that Tom writes for people like Tom, so you have to already know Tom for the guide to be of any use. For example:

Sir Tom said:
Hotels and shops, but the pubs fall short of the standard sought by the connoisseur.

Is utterly useless for anyone but Tom. Not all sailors are old men who want a pint of ale. In the job of telling me what is in Swanage, this fails entirely. I don’t need to know what’s not there and I certainly don’t need to know the authors opinions and desires.

KeithMD

Visit site
I see that the driver behind the attempted UKHO cost reduction exercise - and who failed to consult with the necessary authorities and had to announce a back tracking - seems to have been given a free transfer to CEO at the RNLI. Mmmmmm.

That sounds a bit ominous, and brings back memories of conversations with (names and place redacted) a large RNLI station in the south west. Who were increasingly pissed off annoyed with the creeping corporatisation of the RNLI centred on Poole HQ with ideological directives and policies. That was one of the reasons I stopped being an RNLI Governor.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
When do you think the print date for a "2024" almanac would be, to be on sale before 2023 Southampton Boat Show. Then last date for editorial input, perhaps early 2023.
That's why you need to check and apply the published updates/corrections.

I have never really understood the need to have it available for Southampton given it means that the information is six months or more out of date before it even 'starts'.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Yes plenty of people give them updates.

I disagree, at £50 a copy it’s their job to check what they’re printing in a book whose sole purpose is having up to date information. We’ve found 3 errors so far in a week long cruise, some of which are rather important like the phone numbers for Lulworth ranges. It’s the last copy I’ll be buying, if I can’t rely on the information it’s less useful on board than a roll of toilet paper, and about 50 times more expensive!
I only ever buy a copy every seven years, the amount of data that changes year on year in tiny. I use a blend of printed and online stuff as getting a phone signal over 10 NM offshore is rubbish.

If they actually got their finger out and produced a decent loose leaf binder and supplied only the pages that change year on year I might consider buying it more often.

Like many I have a document onboard that is my own almanac that has 'Sandy relevant' information, notes on things, where to eat and what pubs to avoid (Sky TV that sort of thing).

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Whimsy is fine in editorial or fiction but it’s far from a good style for compendiums of knowledge. It’s unhelpful that Tom writes for people like Tom, so you have to already know Tom for the guide to be of any use. For example:

Is utterly useless for anyone but Tom. Not all sailors are old men who want a pint of ale. In the job of telling me what is in Swanage, this fails entirely. I don’t need to know what’s not there and I certainly don’t need to know the authors opinions and desires.
To the ardent lover of real ale, what other info is required?😀 I can cook on the boat, our stores will last ages, showers & laundry PAH - but a good pint .....!

I'm sure that I could find a useless/inaccurate/biased comment in any pilot guide - or just one that the reader disagrees with.

I've already said that a more modern style for the Channel Pilot would be appropriate in forthcoming editions.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I only ever buy a copy every seven years, the amount of data that changes year on year in tiny. I use a blend of printed and online stuff as getting a phone signal over 10 NM offshore is rubbish.

If they actually got their finger out and produced a decent loose leaf binder and supplied only the pages that change year on year I might consider buying it more often.

Like many I have a document onboard that is my own almanac that has 'Sandy relevant' information, notes on things, where to eat and what pubs to avoid (Sky TV that sort of thing).
Take note, lustyd, of the primacy of PUBS!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've already said that a more modern style for the Channel Pilot would be appropriate in forthcoming editions.
Here, here.

I find the style of the 'Saint Tom' version more in keeping with the 1920's than the 2020's, he does seem to amble on about a bygone golden era that never existed, his talks are just the same. You can guess I am not a fan.

dunedin

Visit site
Here, here.

I find the style of the 'Saint Tom' version more in keeping with the 1920's than the 2020's, he does seem to amble on about a bygone golden era that never existed, his talks are just the same. You can guess I am not a fan.
Last time I sailed these waters (5 or so years back) I carried the Tom C Pilot, but I used the Cruising Companions by Mark Fishwick and Peter Cumberlidge. They seemed much better to me.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Last time I sailed these waters (5 or so years back) I carried the Tom C Pilot, but I used the Cruising Companions by Mark Fishwick and Peter Cumberlidge. They seemed much better to me.
After the sad death of Peter, the Cumberlidge guide has been updated by his wife and is excellent.

So far, the best source of information on the s.w. has been the excellent harbour guides, published by each harbour & updated annually.

lustyd

Visit site
Take note, lustyd, of the primacy of PUBS!
I’m all for pubs, but I also recognise that in 2024 not all sailors like pubs and aren’t all beardy old men either. Some may like the coffee shops and patisserie’s that Swanage had to offer. Some might even be women!! We also found several good traditional pubs and some great restaurants.
We also found the mooring information missing from the guide and the anchor information off putting despite the good holding and sandy bottom which along with other whimsical passages from the author suggests he’s not as capable or confident as many think.

I’m not attacking TC here, just highlighting that a guide should first and foremost be a guide.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
My only criticism of Tom's guide is that I suspect that, when he pulls up to a club/harbour/pub etc and says, "hi, Tom Cunliffe here, can I ....." they all jump around to please him, whereas mere mortals like me may get a slightly more diffident response. Perhaps someone less well known & distinctive may get a more accurate impression.

Still, I like the fella.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I’m all for pubs, but I also recognise that in 2024 not all sailors like pubs and aren’t all beardy old men either. Some may like the coffee shops and patisserie’s that Swanage had to offer. Some might even be women!! We also found several good traditional pubs and some great restaurants.
We also found the mooring information missing from the guide and the anchor information off putting despite the good holding and sandy bottom which along with other whimsical passages from the author suggests he’s not as capable or confident as many think.

I’m not attacking TC here, just highlighting that a guide should first and foremost be a guide.
Sorry, a sailor that doesn't like pubs? Are you sure?

Most guides, whilst perhaps more modern in their approach to sailing matters, are silent when it comes to the quality, attractiveness or special character of the shore side facilities.

When on the canals, we carry two guides, one gives us the boring but essential navigation advice and bare outline of services & facilities - the other will point out some fascinating architectural quirk, the source of the finest pint, legendary sausage rolls, unusual shops, fine afternoon tea & so on.

In reality, shore side entertainment is better found using any number of websites, catering to both general & special interests, rather than relying on a pilot or almanac.

lustyd

Visit site
Sorry, a sailor that doesn't like pubs? Are you sure?
Yes quite sure. A good number don’t drink these days. Young people aren’t really drinkers thanks largely to social media. Had my generation been shown photos of our behaviour the following day I’m sure we’d have given it up too. Anyone writing such a book should be aware of the audience. Too many sailing books assume it’s the 1970’s still.
Most guides, whilst perhaps more modern in their approach to sailing matters, are silent when it comes to the quality, attractiveness or special character of the shore side facilities.

Good guides set out the information for people to use and judge for themselves. I’m sure Tom is a great guy but he very clearly doesn’t have the same tastes as a 20 year old woman who doesn’t drink but might enjoy coffee and a spa while ashore. Quality of an establishment can be objectively judged by how well maintained and clean a place is, personal subjective measures can be left out.
Even more so when much of the crucial sailing information is left out!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Yes quite sure. A good number don’t drink these days. Young people aren’t really drinkers thanks largely to social media. Had my generation been shown photos of our behaviour the following day I’m sure we’d have given it up too. Anyone writing such a book should be aware of the audience. Too many sailing books assume it’s the 1970’s still.
There seems to be very few young cruising sailors around to be honest.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Quality of an establishment can be objectively judged by how well maintained and clean a place is,
Sounds like you frequent a lot of rather soul less chain establishments. I'm after character & interest - I'm expecting everywhere to have an acceptable level of hygiene.

And, speaking of young people, the first thing that the young (25?) y.o. harbour chap said when he arrived in the launch was a run down of his favourite drinking establishments - and the one to avoid. We had to ask about the cafes & coffee. Perhaps the nautically inclined youth have bucked the appalling trend to teetotalism amongst their cohort?