CA Almanac - More up to date than Reeds?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Even more so when much of the crucial sailing information is left out!
You do seem to be rather stretching the lack of quality of the sailing directions in TC's guide vs all others with each post. Whilst not in the entirely modern style, TC's guidance is in with the pack in my experience.

"Much of the crucial sailing information" is going a bit far - IMHO.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I shall treasure my last edition to be produced by Tom - signed as well. I enjoy Tom's whimsy, humourous style & anecdotes.

However, times change and something along the lines of the superb CCC guides would be more in keeping with modern mores.
I like his style, he's like everyone's favourite uncle. My SCP last edition also autographed by the man himself.

I use it in conjunction with other material to build a picture of unknown routes/destinations.

Attachments

• 20240715_153607.jpg
    20240715_153607.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 1

lustyd

Visit site
There seems to be very few young cruising sailors around to be honest.
I wonder why when they’re made so welcome 🤣 only going to improve by including them, hence the need for change.
Sounds like you frequent a lot of rather soul less chain establishments. I'm after character & interest - I'm expecting everywhere to have an acceptable level of hygiene.
I don’t care what you want, it should all be in the guide so everyone is catered for. If I wanted a good pub guide I’d buy one from Camra.

"Much of the crucial sailing information" is going a bit far - IMHO.
Well the mooring information was left out, that seems a bit of an omission in a pilot guide, don’t you think?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I wonder why when they’re made so welcome 🤣 only going to improve by including them, hence the need for change.
I love your optimism if you think removing remarks about character & quality from a single pilot guide and replacing it with, "there is a pub, a cafe and a shop" will attract hordes of youngsters to sailing. I have heard that they are rather more likely to use that new fangled internet thingy.

Of course, I have now twice indicated that,in almost everything, there comes time for change - in this case, to a more modern style.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Well the mooring information was left out, that seems a bit of an omission in a pilot guide, don’t you think?
We have now used the current pilot guides for every part of the UK & Ireland - there's not a single one that didn't have at least one error or omission and a "fact" that we'd disagree with.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I don’t care what you want, it should all be in the guide so everyone is catered for. If I wanted a good pub guide I’d buy one from Camra.
You want everything in the guide? So it has to be a complete guide to facilities as well? None of 'em do anything like that.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I like his style, he's like everyone's favourite uncle. My SCP last edition also autographed by the man himself.

I use it in conjunction with other material to build a picture of unknown routes/destinations.
I reckon that 30 years ago, when Tom took over, the Channel Pilot made a step improvement and set the standard, 15 years ago, it was a good, solid example of what a guide should be. Now, after 30 years, it's time for the next step.

We should be thanking Tom for his hard work, both in compiling this guide and promoting the sport in general over many years, not nit-picking & criticising what is now a piece of our sailing history.

Raise a pint or a decaf soy latte, drink Tom's health and tuck into a pork pie, fish & chips or tofu stir fry, as is your preference.

By the way, I do quite like the way that Tom is never nasty about anything, you just have to read between the lines to detect a certain lack of enthusiasm - where warranted.