C-MAP CF 85 cards

rlw

Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for old type CF 85 C-map cartridges for the chartplotter in my new boat. Preferably Channel, Belgian coast, Netherlands.

Thx

Rob

jfm

Visit site
Re: difficult

Hello Rob. The CF85 chips (at least, reasonably up to date ones) will be very hard to come by. There have been and still are various CMapNT and Navionics chips available from people on this BB, but not CF85s. Good luck anyway

While on the subject, does anyone have for sale a CMapNT chip for the Balearics?

JFM

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You can still get the complete range of CF85 cartidges direct from C-Map for £99 or, if you have existing CF85 or even NT cards, you can exchange them for different CF85 cartridges for £35. Contact C-Map at Systems House, Delta Business Park, Salterns Lane, Fareham, Hants

G

Re: are they the teensy ones?

Right there are the masive ones for green-screen autohelms which have little diamonds all over and go in the sort of black plastic thing and then into the machine...and there's the garmin ones with metal on the back from Navionics..... and there are teeny weeny ones which go in Raytheon which can often take two. So which is which?

martin

Visit site
Re: difficult

I didn't know this was old tech? ..just bought a new chip for my handheld GPS..is this stuff dead already?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Re: are they the teensy ones?

I think this is the situation with C-Map. The ones that are about half a cassette size and indeed come in a cassette box and are black with electric type bits sticking out the end and fit in a plastic holder are called Mini CF85 or sometimes just CF85 and those are definitely still available from C-Map 'coz I just bought some. The slim small ones which come in a opaque plastic box about 4x4" are the current NT ones which should go in anything new which uses C-Map
Navionics - dunno

martin

Visit site
Thank god for that

Phew ...thank god for that..I bought the little ones... for a minute I thought I had been sold a load of ol ^&*.

jfm

Visit site
Re: chips

I assume 4x4 inches refers to the box, the CMapNT (aka CMap95) chips themselves are very thin and about 1/4 the size of a business card.

When I said CF85 are difficult to come by, I meant second hand, cuz they haven't been mainstream for sometime. Of course you can still get them new from CMap

Martin, which h/h did you get, Mag6000 or Garmin175? Whad'ya think of it?

JFM

martin

Visit site

I got a Mag 6000 about 2 yrs ago when I did a couple of trips round the east coast on my old sealine. It was end of line then and so got it cheap..but by the sounds of it it uses the new cmap format so should stay current for some time yet. I went and bought the chart data for the west country a couple of weeks ago... didn't know there was more than one type..hence confusion.

I like the 6000 a lot. Havn't used anything else so can not compare. Am just in the process of trying to figure out where to put it and how to connect it to the Radar on new boat.

rlw

Visit site
Re: Thank god for that

Thank all for the input. The price from C-mak UK is definately far less than what I was quoted in here in Belgium.

Rob

jfm

Visit site
Re: Mag6000

I have a Mag6000 too. Don't know about end of line, got mine last summer and they're still current now, not been replaced by anything newer or better AFAIK. I use mine for charter boats, sailing other people's boats that have duff electronics, and as back up for plotter in main boat. I love it, it's a great gadget. Main irritation is nowhere to tie lanyard. The only serious competitor is Garmin175

Lemme know if ever you have chips to sell or want to buy. I have several for sale swap loan, charter locations like Caribb, Sydney Australia, etc I need Med and Balearics

JFM

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yeah, I did mean the box. By the way, some lowlife scum nicked 2 NT cards from my plotter last season whilst the boat was in our home marina. So, if you've got a boat with an outside helm, remember to take 'em out

G

Re: Mag6000, 175, small chips, raytheon

1. Have you got greece? This feels like pokemon cards, only cheaper.

2. I have a raytheon chart plotter thing on the boat. Dunno wot the number is - i never turn it on! By the time I replaced buggered ahelm that shdn't have been there (water damage) I was into the 175. But it says "fix good" when you turn it on, is landscape, might be 500 or 600 as model number and has (had?) two chips in it. One of them mite be balearics! They are teensy weensy, smaller than garmin, bout an inchish rectanglar.

3. If you have got greece, consider swap in late october for verifcation how fab/crap whichever is? Definite potential smugness for one of us.

jfm

Visit site
Re: Pokemon swap

Yes I do have Greece. Well, actually my mate here has, I lent him the Mag6000 for his charter holiday and he bort chip to go in it. He's buggered off early (it being Friday and sunny) so I can't check with him exactly which chip he bort, but are you going to the West Ionian side or the East Agean side, cuz it's two different chips and I know he only got one? Check chip coverage www.c-map.no and click light marine. I'll come back on Monday when I catch him

Anyway if it turns out he has the right side I'll do the swap for 175. We can then know for sure if MBY's forthcoming review was any good.

Ahem, wanna charter me the balearics chip CMap95 for 2 weeks in August? Don't if there's any chance you will want to use it, but if it's available that would be fab. I would buy my own but I'm saving up for my fine and a new suit to wear in the dock, yerknow. Apropos which, I have been introduced to two slissters, both with a footie connexion surprise surprise. One is Ken Bates lawyer, does all the Chelsea footballers tickets, other is in Manchester, a niche operator in speeding, did Beckham (chased by paparazzi, me lud) and Ferguson (need a pee or was it a number 2), so he can do jfm (no excuse at all apart from leaves in the throttle mechanism) too. I'm still trying to get Jack Straw's lawyer but if he's not avail one of those should suffice

I need to get back to you on yr kind offer of buth in LaNap, will do soon, sorry not to have sorted out yet. I'm being told road transport means big dismantle of railings, perspex, radar arch and all else on flybridge, to get the height down, basically much trouble for one season, ship transport an alternative but only to Barca or Palma it seemz

Right, off to Lymington now for glorious sunny weekend, max force 2, no chance of rain according to forecast. Haven't yet decided wether to turn left or right when reach end of the river, or straight on to Fr. Nice to have the choice. Will stick rigidly to 60mph on the drive down tho (till I get the laser jammers fitted grrrr)

JFM

G

Magellan 6000

To clear up the confusion the first 6000's were single channel receivers and therefore took a long time (2-3 mins) to get a fix from turn on. These were the ones that were discounted to about £300 when the new 6000's were introduced. The new ones have multi channel receivers and therefore lock on much quicker (1 min). I have one of the early ones and I am very pleased with it. On my old boat I had it linked to the radar (JRC) just linked nmea out of GPS to nmea in on radar and the waypoint, lat long etc were displayed. New boat has built in chart plotter so Magellan is used as a spare gps.

martin

Visit site
Re: Magellan 6000

thanks for that...I thought i heard the words discounted and new model at some point in the sales pitch just couldn't remember the details...in fact I fink thats why i bought it..anyway ..its a good bit of kit and glad to hear that its not discontinued.