Broom 35 - any alternatives to look at?

rr_123

Visit site
Wishing to tap into the font of forum Broom Knowledge, but not wishing to hijack Loggo's Broom 29 thread...

I have seen a Broom 35 on Apollo Duck which looks good value and the perfect configuration for me but unfortunately sold last Friday. I am looking for a boat with a decent aft-cabin with a double berth, a forecabin, and a comfortable centre-cockpit/wheelhouse which can be used as much as a saloon as anthying else. Two heads/showers would be good, the galley can be fore or aft, not bothered.

Broom seem to have this covered pretty well with the 35. The Ocean 37 would be even perfecter but not seen for less than about £50k and so is out of budget (around £20-25k). Full displacement, inland mainly but ability to go coastal or at least tidal Thames would be very nice but not an absolute show-stopper. Some of the dutch boats would suit but are likekly to be as rusty as a sea-side fiat at that budget. Does anyone know of any other model/make which would fit the bill?

R

byron

RIP
Visit site
The Broom 35 is the most docile boat at low speeds that I have ever owned. They practically drive themselves. Having said that my opinion is that most of them are under powered. A pair of 120s is the best you can hope for and this power option is quite rare but adequate.

A double bed in the stern is also a rarity. usually the beds configuration is single bunks many in an 'L' shape rather than each side of the cabin.

Personally I think the Broom 35 European is over priced when compared with an Ocean 37 or a Broom 37 Continental. Others would argue and that is their prerogative.

I cannot stress what an easy boat they are to handle. I had mine so well trained that I felt I only had to look at the tightest berth and she would wiggle her way in. I used to joke about how I would go get a cup of coffee while the boat berthed itself unaided.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
The 35 Europeans are much sought after and seem more in demand than the 37Ocean, 37Continental or 37Crown. Personally of the three 37 models the Continental was the pick of the bunch. Never liked the layout of the Ocean, especially the galley setup. The 35 Europeans were classics and very versatile inland and Coastal hoping.

miket

Visit site
Budget?

You say a budget of £25- £35k?!
Very surprised you could find a European at this figure, even an early one. Assume there were special circumstances.

You might consider the Moonraker 36? Still some good ones around but you may have to look at a few before you find a good one within budget. Don't believe those doomsters who say they have a dubious reputation at sea. Yes, in a F7/8, possibly, but personaly I wouldn't go out in those conditions anyway and I can still think of many other boats I would be less happy in at that.

Less well known is the Solar 32. A very commodoius boat, usually with a pair of 75hp diesels and equally as happy non-tidal as tidal.

Chris_d

Visit site
You could try looking at Birchwood 33/35 and Freeman 32/33 more likely to fall into that price range, you could get a Broom 30 for 20-25K but any 35 or 37 is likely to be in very poor condition at that price. More likely maybe will be ex hire boats using the same mouldings but the finish will be poorer and smaller engines.

clartius

www.tamesismarine.co.uk
Not wishing to repeat the excellent summaries above but i would be hugely suprised to see a 35 kicking around for the 25-35k bracket. One of the best (or worst depending on if you are buying or selling) things about Brooms is that they retain their value ahead of most boat of a comparible age.
Also agree that as far as i know no 35's came with the double in the aft as standard, it may have been an owner modification later on. Evidence suggests the first broom with a island dbl was the Crown, which i believe is a super boat and there are a number at far more reasonable prices this year, perhaps a reflection of the market in general.
As far as your budget goes you could look other models listed above (Broom 30, B/Wood 33 etc) but i have a few suggestions:
1) Freemans. Yes they are old hulls now and yes the interiors are an aquired taste but good boats and your budget would strech to the 32 or 33 (sedan or sportman)
2) Birchwood 30 Commodore. imho a lot more space than the 33, a superb layout that for some reason never found favor (with the galley/dinette in the aft cabin)
3) Princess 33 Mk 1. Arguably the better hull for the river (Y rather than V) but the interior isnt quite as spacious as the Mk2 (i know that sounds stupid given they are the same boat but try it and see)
Just my thoughts, open to contradiction

pheran

Visit site
2) Birchwood 30 Commodore. imho a lot more space than the 33, a superb layout that for some reason never found favor (with the galley/dinette in the aft cabin)

Being pedantic, the Commodore was a 31 rather than a 30 but I agree, lots of room in a compact package. A number of the Birchwoods of that era had that layout of double berth aft cabin/galley/dinette. My 33 Viceroy certainly did and it worked to very good effect.

The main problem may be that of price. There is one at Chertsey up for £37K so may come within the OP's maximum but there are several elsewhere at £40K+.

rr_123

Visit site
Thanks All,

Just to confirm that the Broom on Apollo Duck was a slidy wheelhouse broads boat, not a European or a Continental. Purely calm waters and no power at all!

some food for thought her though. The Solar 32 certainly looks a good (and suitable) boat... hmm, bank managerrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (c:

byron

RIP
Visit site
Thanks All,

some food for thought her though. The Solar 32 certainly looks a good (and suitable) boat... hmm, bank managerrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (c:

A pal of mine, member of the Ditch, Fred Turner, had one for many years. I have no personal experience of them but he loved it. Someone just walked up to him and offered to buy it. As the price offered was superb. . . it was sold.
They were quite nippy boats because even with the minimum 2x72 hp engines the purported speed was 13 knots.

apollo

Visit site
They were quite nippy boats because even with the minimum 2x72 hp engines the purported speed was 13 knots.

Nah, having accompanied a "Pea Green" one of these to Holland several times, I can vouch that it would not do more than 10knots falling off a cliff.

There is one floating around with 2 X 120Hp Engines that will crack 16knots but haven't seen it for a few years.

Still a lot of boat for the money and very well built.

Brayman

Visit site
A pal of mine, member of the Ditch, Fred Turner, had one for many years. I have no personal experience of them but he loved it. Someone just walked up to him and offered to buy it. As the price offered was superb. . . it was sold.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is actually Fred's boat that is for sale at Bray.

Brayman

Visit site
I'm sure I read somewhere that they only made 6 Solar 32's, its not the green one presumably as thats a BCC members.

Just had a look on the Bray Sales web site and the Solar 32 is Mondello, which indeed was Fred's boat before being bought by a Bray CC member who has since upgraded to a Broom 10/70.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Nah, having accompanied a "Pea Green" one of these to Holland several times, I can vouch that it would not do more than 10knots falling off a cliff.

There is one floating around with 2 X 120Hp Engines that will crack 16knots but haven't seen it for a few years.

Still a lot of boat for the money and very well built.

I am quoting from their own literature at the time. They say there... 13 knots. Bearing in mind that speed test are taken with nothing in the way of weight on board. . .