Broom 35 - any alternatives to look at?

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
>>>
I am looking for a boat with a decent aft-cabin with a double berth, a forecabin, and a comfortable centre-cockpit/wheelhouse which can be used as much as a saloon as anthying else. Two heads/showers would be good, the galley can be fore or aft, not bothered.
>>>
The Seamaster 30 fits that description pretty well and I've accompanied one to Ramsgate, Burnham and back, having intended to xChannel so has the capability you want. I don't know if Gypsy Pearl is still on sale at Bridge Marine but she does have an aft double, nicely modded by the owner a year or so back. Rather older boats but built like the proverbial.

Last edited:

pheran

Visit site
I am quoting from their own literature at the time. They say there... 13 knots. Bearing in mind that speed test are taken with nothing in the way of weight on board. . .

I'm with you on this Byron. You may recall Fred and I were part of that small group of Thames-based boats that took a trip across and up the Seine to Paris a few years back. We cruised all day at 10kts (GPS verified) and Fred had absolutely no difficulty in maintaining the pace so I guess 13kts max. is about right. He couldn't have been flat out because a) obviously he couldn't have managed that over the whole time we were away and b) Fred would have been complaining like Hell about his fuel consumption - which he didn't!

This (rather poor) picture shows Fred and Mondello managing one of the smaller locks

Mondello1.jpg

apollo

Visit site
I'm with you on this Byron. You may recall Fred and I were part of that small group of Thames-based boats that took a trip across and up the Seine to Paris a few years back. We cruised all day at 10kts (GPS verified) and Fred had absolutely no difficulty in maintaining the pace so I guess 13kts max. is about right. He couldn't have been flat out because a) obviously he couldn't have managed that over the whole time we were away and b) Fred would have been complaining like Hell about his fuel consumption - which he didn't!

This (rather poor) picture shows Fred and Mondello managing one of the smaller locks

Mondello1.jpg

Must have been a flippin long time ago....

BCC once had a race outside the Medway (about ten years ago), with Dandy Regent, Mondello and Champagne (another one) all completely neck and neck at..........10 knots.

My Crown was rated at 19knots when new, I dont believe a word of that either......

OzDitch

Visit site
Sorry to raise an old thread, but…

Hello all. Matt here, Fred’s crew. I just found this forum! 🙂

Fred thought there were 12 Solars built, of which he’d located 8.
Damn, I’d love to set foot on Mondello again. So many great memories!
If anyone has photos of her, I’d love to see them please!

harvey38

Visit site
Sorry to raise an old thread, but…

Hello all. Matt here, Fred’s crew. I just found this forum! 🙂

Fred thought there were 12 Solars built, of which he’d located 8.
Damn, I’d love to set foot on Mondello again. So many great memories!
If anyone has photos of her, I’d love to see them please!
As you say, a very old thread but Dandy Regent has just gone up for sale, still based at Bray 😮

harvey38

Visit site
Yep, I went looking in case there were still any photos kicking around (it’s amazing how often that happens) & saw her for sale.
I can't remember the owners name, a pleasant chap and recall he was quite active in the Bray Cruising Club. Nice boat but the superstructure was a colour not to my choice.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Sadly, the reason its for sale, is he recently died. A long-standing friend of mine and he will be much missed.
That’s a real shame I was only chatting to him last year when on the EA moorings opposite the racecourse…..said he used to go all over the place in his boat then it slowly dwindled down to out for a trundle but no locks and wash boat when out,….another knowledgeable chap gone.:(

Parabordi

Visit site
That’s a real shame I was only chatting to him last year when on the EA moorings opposite the racecourse…..said he used to go all over the place in his boat then it slowly dwindled down to out for a trundle but no locks and wash boat when out,….another knowledgeable chap gone.:(
Yes, we accompanied him on many of those trips. He was like family

OzDitch

Visit site
Yes, we accompanied him on many of those trips. He was like family
Sorry to hear that.

I have to admit I never got to know the downstream clubs or members well, although the rallies, competitions, and social events were always good fun & provide many great memories.

Dino

Visit site
There were a number of Solar 32’s built for a hire cruiser company in Ireland back in the 80’s. They had white hulls and a fairly deep blue superstructure. They were all sold off many years ago and they have all been painted. There was at least 4. I wonder are these the missing ones?