Broken Down Yachts And Coastguard Response

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Interesting weekend on the Clyde. My DSC VHF alarm went off and Belfast Coastguard announced that there was a yacht without a working engine and was anyone around to tow to a nearby marina. This happened twice in the day, two separate incidents, both nearish to facilities, weather: calm, smooth, fair, good.

It was obvious from the conversation, I could only hear Belfast Coastguard side, that folks responded and towed vessels to safety, followed by a Pan Pan cancelled message.

Usually it is reported that the RNLI get requested to do this by Coast Guard, who proceed to tow a stricken vessel. I thought it was unusual to hear the CG asking citizens to help and great to see fellow leisure sailors respond to the situation. Perhaps the CG would call the RNLI if conditions were worse and the risk of escalation was significant more probable.

Maybe this is normal SOP.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Usually it is reported that the RNLI get requested to do this by Coast Guard, who proceed to tow a stricken vessel. I thought it was unusual to hear the CG asking citizens to help and great to see fellow leisure sailors respond to the situation. Perhaps the CG would call the RNLI if conditions were worse and the risk of escalation was significant more probable.

It is in the Falmouth CG area.

jac

Visit site
Have heard it a few times in teh Solent. Last Wednesday also heard them ask a boat aground if they were members of sea start,

I think it's a good move. If it's serious then by all means call out the RNLI but i don't see why their volunteers should give up a few hours of their time to go "rescue" someone to avoid a commercial tow

Bristolfashion

Visit site
If you're a yacht with sails and can't start the engine, are you broken down? My first thought would be to sail as close to safety as reasonable and then try & drum up a short tow if necessary.

We heard an entertaining and rather illuminating exchange between a boat with "engine problems" and the coastguard whilst we were crossing to Ireland - the boat wanted a tow to a particular marina - when the coastguard replied that any tow would be to the nearest safe harbour, the response was "don't bother"!

srm

Visit site
I had an engine failure in the Minch. Called Stornoway CG as out of range of Stornoway Harbour to ask if the harbour could keep the marina hammerhead we had left that morning free as it would be an easier berth under sail. CG offered a tow but declined and repeated request for an open berth we could approach under sail. CG agreed, but called every hour to check progress. They asked for course and speed each time which was a bit of a joke to us as Stornoway was dead to windward. As we were short tacking past the fishing piers on a falling tide the harbour office sent an officer to help us berth. We just managed to drift up to the hammerhead as it was well sheltered from the otherwise fresh wind. Proved a pleasant days sailing.

Stemar

Visit site
If you're a yacht with sails and can't start the engine, are you broken down? My first thought would be to sail as close to safety as reasonable and then try & drum up a short tow if necessary.
That depends on enough wind to make reasonable progress, but not too much wind. If conditions are deteriorating, RNLI crews would far rather turn out now to give a tow than have to turn out later to look for bodies

In the case of a vessel aground last week, I could only hear the CG side of things but, after they'd established that there was no immediate danger, the next question was whether they had food and water aboard to wait for the tide to rescue them, which is what happened in the end.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
That depends on enough wind to make reasonable progress, but not too much wind. If conditions are deteriorating, RNLI crews would far rather turn out now to give a tow than have to turn out later to look for bodies

In the case of a vessel aground last week, I could only hear the CG side of things but, after they'd established that there was no immediate danger, the next question was whether they had food and water aboard to wait for the tide to rescue them, which is what happened in the end.
I agree entirely - as I said, my first thought would be sailing & safe harbour, not calling for rescue. If conditions or any other issues warranted, I'd have no hesitation in calling for help.

I think people occasionally get fixated on their preferred destination, which might be pontoons / marina / harbour which is difficult to enter under sail, rather than anchoring or mooring which might be easier - we saw exactly this in Campbeltown where a boat that had lost its engine was brought into the pontoon by the RNLI when the loch is easy to enter under sail, there is plentiful anchoring and conditions were benign - we are by no means "heavy weather daredevils" and we'd sailed right up to the marina entrance in a smaller boat.

johnalison

Visit site
I agree entirely - as I said, my first thought would be sailing & safe harbour, not calling for rescue. If conditions or any other issues warranted, I'd have no hesitation in calling for help.

I think people occasionally get fixated on their preferred destination, which might be pontoons / marina / harbour which is difficult to enter under sail, rather than anchoring or mooring which might be easier - we saw exactly this in Campbeltown where a boat that had lost its engine was brought into the pontoon by the RNLI when the loch is easy to enter under sail, there is plentiful anchoring and conditions were benign - we are by no means "heavy weather daredevils" and we'd sailed right up to the marina entrance in a smaller boat.
I don’t think we know enough about the circumstances to be overtly critical, though what you describe is often true. Even a sailing yacht might find itself in difficulties if becalmed or at risk of stress from weather or currents. I have two or three times been forced to go into harbour engineless and would expect sailors to be able to cope with that option. On one occasion I had a saildrive problem and almost lost power off St Helier, so called the harbour. They were prepared to send help but we limped in at a couple of knots.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I don’t think we know enough about the circumstances to be overtly critical, though what you describe is often true. Even a sailing yacht might find itself in difficulties if becalmed or at risk of stress from weather or currents. I have two or three times been forced to go into harbour engineless and would expect sailors to be able to cope with that option. On one occasion I had a saildrive problem and almost lost power off St Helier, so called the harbour. They were prepared to send help but we limped in at a couple of knots.
Obviously we don't know the precise situation in any one rescue, I was thinking more generally.

Mister E

Visit site
Holyhead put out a mayday to a jetski person in the water.
A yacht answered and sorted it out so the rnli weren't even called out.

It is not uncommon to hear coastgurd calls for tows to ribs in Caernarfon Bay as the nearest lifeboat is miles away.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I think it's a good move. If it's serious then by all means call out the RNLI but i don't see why their volunteers should give up a few hours of their time to go "rescue" someone to avoid a commercial tow
Yes, but think of the number of press releases with extreme use of the word volunteer they could publish. ;)

Disclosure: I personally know two members of Cowes ILB and sail with one at least once a year.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Glad to hear this is routine. I must have had a narrow point of view on breakdowns and defaulting to RNLI tows.

Where I sail it is rare to hear a request for a radio check, never mind a Pan Pan, hence two engine failures in a day and successful tows by others, was unusual.

Thanks for the feedback.

awol

Visit site
I once responded to "Any vessel in the vicinity of Garroch Head ..." from the much lamented Clyde Coatguard. The vessel with flat batteries and two on board was eventually found closer to the Cock of Arran than Bute with their comms via mobile phone to CG and then VHF to me. Towed her into Largs but despite dinner and berthage that night was a bit miffed that a sailing boat couldn't spend a few hours wallowing in open water waiting for the wind.
On the other hand, when I called Stornoway CG to advise that I intended to lie hove-to in the Minch all night rather than attempt anchoring single-handed and engine-less in a F5 (felt more like F7!) they offered the assistance of Portree lifeboat who were already out on a training exercise.

Aja

Visit site
Interesting weekend on the Clyde. My DSC VHF alarm went off and Belfast Coastguard announced that there was a yacht without a working engine and was anyone around to tow to a nearby marina. This happened twice in the day, two separate incidents, both nearish to facilities, weather: calm, smooth, fair, good.

It was obvious from the conversation, I could only hear Belfast Coastguard side, that folks responded and towed vessels to safety, followed by a Pan Pan cancelled message.

In this particular case, the casualty had engine difficulties and stated they were also unable to sail. I assumed due to lack of wind. They didn't state why but made CG aware.

Both Alba Venturer and Alba Adventurer, OYC boats were in the vicinity and able to tow to Kip.