Branded vs 'generic' oil & fuel filters

myquest

Visit site
I think you mean a tenner -as least that if you have a Volvo.

And do Volvo, yanmar, beta etc make them themselves? - of course not -they buy them in painted in their own colour

and don't forget that not having this bought in filter on your engine invalidates any warranty there might be on it!

macd

Visit site
and don't forget that not having this bought in filter on your engine invalidates any warranty there might be on it!

I don't believe that's the case, although it is commonly suggested (not least by engine suppliers themselves). A recent long thread on the subject of filters/warranties included posts about a legal case about precisely this issue. The court found that using equivalent filters from a reputable maker did not breach the warranty.
I'll try to find the thread.

That said, for the modest cost involved, it might be better to be safe.

P.S. Can't find the thread I had in mind, but from brief reading of a few websites on the subject, it seems that you may be right, myquest. For what it's worth, in the USA, non-OEM parts do not invalidate a warranty, at least so far as cars are concerned.

Last edited:

rob2

Visit site
I'd be much happier if the engine manufacturer didn't "re-brand" the filters, but recommended a particular make. With most makes it may well be just as convenient to order through the engine supplier than track down a dealer. Once painted and labelled there's no way of telling whether the product is carefully selected on quality grounds or the latest batch of Chinese knock-offs that fell off a lorry... Bearing in mind that VW even got caught lying about their engines (let alone filters) I tend to assume that profit margin is the deciding factor. If I'm right, then paying a quarter of the price for a middling quality equivalent may outperform their "superior" product by miles! Or it may not...

Funnily enough I have a box of filters for a Yanmar 2G engine which fit perfectly well on my Mitsubishi based Sole, so I'll happily use those. They were bought very cheaply from a Thermoking dealer as one series of their coolers used the industrial version of that engine.

Rob.

sailorman

Visit site

most warranties are very poor, my Nanni Silverline warranty just covered the basic engine.
i installed it myself but needed an "engineer :sleeping:" to service it.
the engine has never had anybody but me touch it from installation day. now over 1300 hrs on the clock.
in over 40 yrs of servicing my own cars i have only used filters from a local factor & the cheapest oil to the req spec. 1 car a Citroen BX i bought @ 96k mls wrote it off @ 230k, oil + filter changed every 3k rather than top up the level. that engine would have done 500k mls if i hadnt stove the o/s door in. the ins paid out top price due to its overall condition

rob2

Visit site
Most failures not age related with anything I have owned have been directly attributable to an "engineer" f*ing with something he patently didn't understand. Surely it can't be only me that gets these w*nkers when the gas/plumbing/electrics mafia won't let you buy the parts?

The Citroen BX engine was lovely. I had the straight aspirated one. It had every feature that could extend the life of a diesel. The Fords of the day were never seen with diesels - they were somewhere in that cloud of smoke... No wonder they ended up fitting the Peugeot engine whilst they learnt how to build a diesel.

Rob.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I wouldn't think that significant wear takes place as the unfiltered oil has been drawn from the sump in the first place.
One issue with car oil filters is whether they have a non-return valve in them or not. Cheapo ones often omit it, which means that the filter drains back into the sump with the engine off and that in turn means a small but cumulatively significant bit of extra wear each time the engine starts and takes a little longer to build oil pressure.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I wouldn't think that significant wear takes place as the unfiltered oil has been drawn from the sump in the first place.

It takes longer to get the system up to pressure when the pump has to fill the filter (and various galleries beyond it) before anything reaches the bearings. On an older car you hear the bearings rattle as pressure builds up, though this is now largely masked by the sound of hydraulic tappets charging.

prv

Visit site
I'd be much happier if the engine manufacturer didn't "re-brand" the filters, but recommended a particular make. With most makes it may well be just as convenient to order through the engine supplier than track down a dealer. Once painted and labelled there's no way of telling whether the product is carefully selected on quality grounds or the latest batch of Chinese knock-offs that fell off a lorry... Bearing in mind that VW even got caught lying about their engines (let alone filters) I tend to assume that profit margin is the deciding factor. If I'm right, then paying a quarter of the price for a middling quality equivalent may outperform their "superior" product by miles! Or it may not...

Indeed - and the fact that Volvo sell the same "Volvo" oil for all their engines, whether 2-ton supercharged electronic mobo beasts or forty year old agricultural yacht auxiliaries, implies they don't seem to care all that much about the selection of these things.

Pete

BabaYaga

Visit site
Beta engines are marinised versions of Kubota originals. If you can find out the base engine for your model, (someone will doubtless be along shortly with that info), you can look up the Kubota parts list and identify what you need.

Please note that most typical spare items (filters, belts, pump impellers) are part of the marinization, not the base engine. On my Beta 20 hp I have found that only the oil filter, sitting on the engine block, is relevant in this respect. I have e.g. in the past used a Nanni oil filter with no issues.

Last time I ordered generic filters, from here,

http://www.boatpartsandspares.co.uk/beta-21-c.asp

the fuel filter was Coopers Fiaam, oil filter was Mahle and air filter insert was Baldwin. Also no issues.

jdc

Visit site
Please note that most typical spare items (filters, belts, pump impellers) are part of the marinization, not the base engine. On my Beta 20 hp I have found that only the oil filter, sitting on the engine block, is relevant in this respect. I have e.g. in the past used a Nanni oil filter with no issues.

Last time I ordered generic filters, from here,

http://www.boatpartsandspares.co.uk/beta-21-c.asp

the fuel filter was Coopers Fiaam, oil filter was Mahle and air filter insert was Baldwin. Also no issues.

I'd be staggered if the fuel filter was not also relevant in this respect: it too sits on the engine block and is between the lift pump and the injector pump, both of which are Kubota's original parts. It's certainly like this on my Beta 50Hp.

BabaYaga

Visit site
I'd be staggered if the fuel filter was not also relevant in this respect: it too sits on the engine block and is between the lift pump and the injector pump, both of which are Kubota's original parts. It's certainly like this on my Beta 50Hp.

Yes, you are correct.
Rechecking this I find that Beta indeed uses fuel filters with the same specification as Kubota, also on the Mini series.
However, Nanni, using the same base engine, apparently does not.
What I was trying to find out some years ago when I first got my Beta engine was just this: Can I use Nanni filters (available over the counter where I live)?
Answer turned out to be: Oil filter yes, fuel filter no. I believe this is still the case.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Are you able to post the filter Nos
Also not many manufacturers actually refine any oil for their engines, their engines just need oil" to spec"

OK, I've found the correspondence!

Volvo Oil filter part 834337-8 is the same as Crosland 659 or Unipart GFE 210 or Fram PHPH2874
Volvo fuel filter part 829913 is the same as Bosch N4051 or Crosland 5003 or Bosch 145734051 or Man WK 7122 or Fram P4186

Avocet

Visit site
So keep an old one to screw back on if the engine dies?

I'm sure any half-decent brand of filter will have a date or batch code on it so they'd know when that filter was manufactured. They MIGHT even know it was originally fitted to that very engine!

Avocet

Visit site
Most failures not age related with anything I have owned have been directly attributable to an "engineer" f*ing with something he patently didn't understand. Surely it can't be only me that gets these w*nkers when the gas/plumbing/electrics mafia won't let you buy the parts?

The Citroen BX engine was lovely. I had the straight aspirated one. It had every feature that could extend the life of a diesel. The Fords of the day were never seen with diesels - they were somewhere in that cloud of smoke... No wonder they ended up fitting the Peugeot engine whilst they learnt how to build a diesel.

Rob.

As far as I'm aware, it's Peugeot who fit Ford's small diesels and Ford who fit Peugeot's large V6 diesel?

Avocet

Visit site
most warranties are very poor, my Nanni Silverline warranty just covered the basic engine.
i installed it myself but needed an "engineer :sleeping:" to service it.
the engine has never had anybody but me touch it from installation day. now over 1300 hrs on the clock.
in over 40 yrs of servicing my own cars i have only used filters from a local factor & the cheapest oil to the req spec. 1 car a Citroen BX i bought @ 96k mls wrote it off @ 230k, oil + filter changed every 3k rather than top up the level. that engine would have done 500k mls if i hadnt stove the o/s door in. the ins paid out top price due to its overall condition

That's often the way. I've never really understood the urge to change your oil and filter every 10 minutes just so that the car finally goes to the scrapyard with an "as new" engine in it!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm sure any half-decent brand of filter will have a date or batch code on it so they'd know when that filter was manufactured. They MIGHT even know it was originally fitted to that very engine!

I normally buy car filters half a dozen at a time. I have never seen a use-by date on one.

pagoda

Visit site
That's often the way. I've never really understood the urge to change your oil and filter every 10 minutes just so that the car finally goes to the scrapyard with an "as new" engine in it!

I've just changed mine. Strangely enough it was a genuine OEM filter this time. Often not. However since I average about 80 hours running per season, I don't think the filters are over -stressed!
On a chartered boat in Grenada last year, it had managed >650Hours in 12 months since new :eek::eek::eek:
Heaven knows how?

We sailed it , using 25 litres over 2 weeks :)