Branded vs 'generic' oil & fuel filters

Avocet

Visit site
I normally buy car filters half a dozen at a time. I have never seen a use-by date on one.

Not a "use by" date, but a batch code - for traceability. They'd be able to pinpoint the date of manufacture of a given oil filter to within at least a month, I'm sure. One of the deciders I use when buying "pattern" parts for the car is whether or not they have anything on them that looks like a batch code - in other words, some sort of number that isn't stamped into them with permanent tooling like a part number, but that changes with each filter (or batch). To me, that suggests the presence of at least SOME kind of quality system in operation, so they could trace defective batches. The ones with no such markings, I regard with deep suspicion.

lw395

Visit site
I normally buy car filters half a dozen at a time. I have never seen a use-by date on one.

I've always resisted bulk buying, I like filters to be reasonably fresh, not having sat around in a damp boat or garage for years.
I keep a spare on the boat in a sealed container.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
in over 40 yrs of servicing my own cars i have only used filters from a local factor & the cheapest oil to the req spec. 1 car a Citroen BX i bought @ 96k mls wrote it off @ 230k, oil + filter changed every 3k rather than top up the level.

I agree with your view on cheapest filter and cheapest oil to spec (although I specify cheapest synthetic) but oil and filter change every 3k?

Crikey - I drive to Croatia three or four times a year and my shortest trip has been for 3 days which would mean changing the oil and filter the day before I set off and changing it again the day I get home 3 days later!

Thanks but no thanks, as they say. :ambivalence:

Richard

sailorman

Visit site
I agree with your view on cheapest filter and cheapest oil to spec (although I specify cheapest synthetic) but oil and filter change every 3k?

Crikey - I drive to Croatia three or four times a year and my shortest trip has been for 3 days which would mean changing the oil and filter the day before I set off and changing it again the day I get home 3 days later!

Thanks but no thanks, as they say. :ambivalence:

Richard
This was 20 yrs ago,when i has the BX, oil has changed somewhat since. 15/40CC then i guess. Also no point in topping up as stated

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I've given up doing oil and filter changes. Modern cars make DIY too difficult. Engine covers top and bottom need a car lift to get them on, can't be done when lying on your back in the driveway.

lw395

Visit site
I've given up doing oil and filter changes. Modern cars make DIY too difficult. Engine covers top and bottom need a car lift to get them on, can't be done when lying on your back in the driveway.

I do mine with a Pela.
It gets nearly all the oil out.
Easy, half hour job, no mess.
Costs about £45 for top quality oil and filter, so I'm happy to do it as an 'interim' service.

lw395

Visit site
This was 20 yrs ago,when i has the BX, oil has changed somewhat since. 15/40CC then i guess. Also no point in topping up as stated

20+ years ago I was using Mobil 1.
Mind you I was using it in my bike for 4000 miles, then putting it in my car!