Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

lpdsn

Visit site
Im going for a sloop, were moving the bulkheads, for a more modern layout.

OK. But do consider that the bulkheads are generally positioned by the designer to take loads rather than the convenience of layout. By that I mean the loads from the rig and the loads from the slings when the boat is lifted out of or in to the water.

Damage can result from the loads and the support not matching. Ask the local surveyor when you have time for a chat. It's a standard thing to look out for when looking over a boat you might want to buy.

steveeasy

Visit site
I have the answer !!!!!!!

I've found someone who will sell the OP an engine, some spars and sails, a complete interior and all of the deck gear, that will fit straight onto the OPs boat. In fact, this guy has every single part the OP will need, he will even have something leftover :encouragement:

Best of all, it's within the £20k budget :encouragement::encouragement:

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=490433

See, every single part he needs, all in one place :)

Ok, Really funny and it will sell well below that. But there lies the truth. What the forum needs to remember though, there is nothing wrong with looking from outside a box. That refit, its true that even with a reasonable budget of 20,000 (or modest) five or six items munch it up gone. engine 5000, sails 3000, standing rigging 1500, mast and boom 4000. interior 3000. and a couple of winches 2000. yes I know ive underestimated all these items. (God ive only a small boat but my interior cushions cost a fortune)(ive not accounted for any electronics)

But having said that its a good thread and an interesting one. Just maybe the op can take the bull by the horns. There is little point telling the OP hes mad as a hatter. He might be, but he may well come up with something. long time to wait though!!.

Steveeasy

Last edited:

Tam Lin

Visit site
This thread reminds me of the Barbary 32 that I looked over at the Tollesbury autumn boat show. £65k spent on her a few years ago and she looks immaculate. Up for £27k and she is still for sale.
How can you get a small fortune by doing up an old boat? Easy, start with a large one!

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Prior to this one we've seen one where the owners actually spent upwards of 60 k on the hull of a 44 and were selling for 20k still unfinished and looking like a start again kinda refit anyway.
It is a tight budget, and were going to try and do it as fast as we can. I can only say that it beats being in an office :)
The biggest fight its the big ticket items, as everyone here well point out. But its still all part of the fun, despair, hair pulling and running away naked with panties in your head that this projects tend to bring. Hell yeah that beats working in anny office. :p

pvb

Visit site
Prior to this one we've seen one where the owners actually spent upwards of 60 k on the hull of a 44 and were selling for 20k still unfinished and looking like a start again kinda refit anyway.
It is a tight budget, and were going to try and do it as fast as we can. I can only say that it beats being in an office :)
The biggest fight its the big ticket items, as everyone here well point out. But its still all part of the fun, despair, hair pulling and running away naked with panties in your head that this projects tend to bring. Hell yeah that beats working in anny office. :p

What also beats working in an office would be to spend your £20K now on a proper boat, ready to sail, and spend your time out on the water. Whereas you plan to spend many years working hard on a project boat which will ultimately be difficult to sell and will be worth a fraction of what you'll spend on it.

GregOddity

Visit site
40+k is more what I would expect.
Maybe it's the messy electrical wiring! :D

View attachment 70073 View attachment 70074

That’s actually not too bad and I do like the arrangements in the locker. I’ve seen some artistic wiring and trust me, it looks nothing like that.
The locker looks pretty cool. I’m actually inspired by that wall and thinking of making a technical cupboard in there including the water heater refrigeration etc. Great stuff.

GregOddity

Visit site
What also beats working in an office would be to spend your £20K now on a proper boat, ready to sail, and spend your time out on the water. Whereas you plan to spend many years working hard on a project boat which will ultimately be difficult to sell and will be worth a fraction of what you'll spend on it.

It will not be many years, I think you’re going to be surprised at how I’m going to do it. Some of the tools I will be using may surprise you, how I will carry out some of the refit will surprise you even more.
I will try and get some of that on video, with a disclaimer, some of the tools I will be using require prior understanding and learning or it may end in personal injury or a botched job.

pvb

Visit site
It will not be many years, I think you’re going to be surprised at how I’m going to do it. Some of the tools I will be using may surprise you, how I will carry out some of the refit will surprise you even more.

You're right, I'm going to be very surprised!:rolleyes:

Keith 66

Visit site
That is the most accurate view of Oddity so far. At this stage shes nothing but a dream. A hull bought cheap on eBay. She has great things on her side, Colvic did build strong sea capable hulls, she great potential at the price of a LOT of work.

Why thank you! But she is a cheap hull & deck filled with stuff that has to be cut out. All of it has to be chopped out & ground clean before you can start putting anything back. Grinding fibreglass is the poxiest most horrible job ever invented by man, you will have weeks & weeks of it, hot sweaty & itching like you have a farmful of crabs. Respirator or not you will breathe some of the dust in & it aint good for you. My best advice, sell it to a hippy as a houseboat on ebay, buy the £19,000 one go sailing & eat steak.

lpdsn

Visit site
What the forum needs to remember though, there is nothing wrong with looking from outside a box.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Threads like this are quite common on Sailing Anarchy. They're not all total failures. Even the infamous Flyin' Hawaiian got over a 100 miles offshore - and that was thinking outside the box. And then there was the schooner made out of scaffolding planks. I think they were hoping God would hold that one together.

Just fair, I think, for us to make sure the OP goes into this with his eyes open. His choice really. We can only try to save him from himself but if he's determined it's his money.

Concerto

Visit site
Greg

Having read and watched your videos, I wish you the best of luck to finish this project. I feel you have the skills and knowledge to do it, however I doubt if you will stay within budget.

The redesigned interior should try to make Oddity more modern in feel, but try thinking of what a secondhand customer would want. This also applies to your engine, an electric motor may sound good today but may not be suitable for a gentleman used to motoring to windward rather than beating.

In the past I helped my parents fit out a 34ft hull and deck, and later build a couple of 30ft yachts in fiberglass from plans. The first 30 footer took us just 8 months (expected 6 months) from start to launch with up to 5 people working at weekends and several during the week and evenings. So your completion target is tight but not impossible.

You should definitely try and find somewhere closer to home and cheaper to store Oddity whilst working on her. You will save storage fees and have less travel time, both will help.

Currently I am nearing completion of a renovation of a Westerly Fulmar. When I bought it, she was very tired and needed some replacing and updating. There is a thread on the Westerly Owners Forum about it, https://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/woaforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2748 and photographs are here, http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/ConcertoFulmar32/library/?sort=3&page=8 starting at what she looked like when I bought her. No where near as much of a project as Oddity but so far I have spent about £23,000 on top of the purchase price with about another £3,000 to complete, but I had only expected to spend £12,000. In my defense I have done a lot of improvements that are quite expensive, but virtually everything was bought new.

A useful source for secondhand parts can be eBay, but also look at http://www.justboatstuf.com/. This is run by a guy who works on a lot of boats and he sells off items the owners have upgraded.

Looking forward to see how work progresses over the coming months.