Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
That carbon element you refer too , a barrel of it is now cheaper than a toilet roll :unsure: Strange times we live in.

Can you not marinise the engine yourselves ?

Indeed, we do live in a strange world and oil is negative go figure.
We are aiming to marinize the engine but also have considered an engine that has a kit readily available in case we get into difficulties with tooling as that is where you sink the pennies.

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
My first move would be to put windows in.

... after you repaired the airline cracks on the gelcoat where you put the windows or you would be having a second move of removing the windows to repair the said cracks.
there are not many but there are a few and they need repair first. The boat is going to be covered before all that.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
We're just waiting for the end of the lock down to buy the Golf and the rest of the parts. It mostly depends on that but as soon as possible. We're aiming for the end of May to have the power train installed. But... perhaps June because of the Covid restrictions etc.

Why would you give £1000 for a clapped out Golf, just for the clapped out engine ? Why not just buy a good secondhand engine from a breakers yard, from a later, accident damaged, not clapped out, Golf ?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Why would you give £1000 for a clapped out Golf, just for the clapped out engine ? Why not just buy a good secondhand engine from a breakers yard, from a later, accident damaged, not clapped out, Golf ?
I wondered about that. They ought to be able to get an MoT fail for £500 tops, but the attraction of the whole car is that they can get it into their place and get all the relevant bits (loom, ecus, oil cooler, pipes etc.) at their leisure and have a scrappy come and get the remains. I've bought scrapyard engines and expect every connection to have been cut at the worst possible place, with at least one thing smashed, bent or missing.

tean

Visit site
Good to see you back Greg but sorry for your loss. As a fellow Countess owner I have a particular interest in Oddity.

Are you sure about the weight you are using to assess your power needs? Some years ago a crane driver told me my boat was a sniff over 7 tons with everything on board including fuel and water in the tanks. I have a Yanmar 35 and it never seems short of oomph. Shooting for 50-60hp is surely going to ramp up your costs for little benefit.

Spyro

Visit site
25 months later and nothing has changed, we're back to post #109
I can’t be arsed reading over all this crap again but I’m sùre he said he would do it all in six months with fantastic new space age materials and all within a budget of 20k. Two years storage will have eaten into that and he is talking about buying an old Golf and paying 1500 for marinisation. I fear we will be in another two years and still talking about it

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I wondered about that. They ought to be able to get an MoT fail for £500 tops, but the attraction of the whole car is that they can get it into their place and get all the relevant bits (loom, ecus, oil cooler, pipes etc.) at their leisure and have a scrappy come and get the remains. I've bought scrapyard engines and expect every connection to have been cut at the worst possible place, with at least one thing smashed, bent or missing.
Things have changed in the scrap business, dealers don't collect - you'll have to take it to them. More hastle and expense.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Would be worth him buying for the spars and engine but getting it from Cardiff to Southampton would kill it, on the other hand it's in better condition than Oddity so could be worth it after all. ?

chrishscorp

Visit site
Would be worth him buying for the spars and engine but getting it from Cardiff to Southampton would kill it, on the other hand it's in better condition than Oddity so could be worth it after all. ?

Yes potentially if the mast and spars are straight and in a good condition, the winches may also be of interest depending on make, size and condition the engine is not a vw but if its a runner and spares are plentiful. It also has windows and hatches.... I wouldnt give £5k for it, try an offer they will lift out at Penarth put you on the hard, strip her, 12''angle grinder and a skip. It even has washed sails......

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yes potentially if the mast and spars are straight and in a good condition, the winches may also be of interest depending on make, size and condition the engine is not a vw but if its a runner and spares are plentiful. It also has windows and hatches.... I wouldnt give £5k for it, try an offer they will lift out at Penarth put you on the hard, strip her, 12''angle grinder and a skip. It even has washed sails......

Would be less work to use the 12" cutter on Oddity. The new one would be about 20 years closer to being finished, is has windows and "stuff", oddity has less than it had two years ago lol

Skylark

Visit site
Don't hold your breath! :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with holding your breath. Compression Ratio is defined as the swept volume............

Oops, sorry, wrong Troll.

Can you give me some advice regarding keeping rust at bay on my steel boat, after running aground but surviving several weeks of pounding on a barrier reef?

Which is the best contemporary Troll?

Mountain and Webby disallowed due to their many contributions being political, boring and predictable ?

Teko

Visit site
If you follow sv oddity on Instagram you'll see Greg's been teaching a blind man to sail. Some might say its the blind leading the blind...

Spyro

Visit site
Been a while since we heard anything. Nearly three years now since the first post appeared, I wonder if the windows are in yet?