Boats with an island bed - suggestions.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
May I ask what is you don't like about Scala? she looks like a nice boat to my uneducated eye.

It's a lovely boat Pete. Perfect in many ways. (not for you if you want an aft cabin with an island bed though).

My wife has decided she hates sailing (all that heeling over, and strings, and going the wrong way, and slowness) and she has nil confidence that she could deal with an emergency if I was incapacitated, so we're selling and buying a mobo.

Pete Carr

Visit site
It's a lovely boat Pete. Perfect in many ways. (not for you if you want an aft cabin with an island bed though).

My wife has decided she hates sailing (all that heeling over, and strings, and going the wrong way, and slowness) and she has nil confidence that she could deal with an emergency if I was incapacitated, so we're selling and buying a mobo.

Aah! that is a real shame, at least you gave it a go, if you hadnt tried it would have eaten away at you.
I have no idea how my missus will take to living on a boat, but I need to give it a go.

Good luck

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
As an owner of a 42DS for around 10 years, that is a very honest appraisal. (apart from being a tad bigger, do you know anything about the 45 DS? a very nice one has caught my attention)
I had a nosey at your web site, I am very jealous of your past cruises, apart from the few build quality issues you mention, are you still happy that you bought the 42 DS?

We've heard plenty of stories from owners of other makes and some would keep you awake at night. We haven't had any serious issues. A lot of things going wrong this year, batteries, o-ring on freshwater strainer, annoying leak etc. Not too bad for since 2009 and you need to expect things to fail sometimes.

I've spoken to many people who say that the 45DS is a much better boat than the 42DS in comfort and sailing performance. Never sailed one but friends took a 45i around the world with no safety issues. They did spend a lot on maintenance over the years but that's normal.

Aft cabin ventilation is one bad point on 42DS but a fan sorts that out and I can also rig a secondary windscoop above one of the small hatches (need to unzip one part of sprayhood though).

I was on a 2012 42DS recently and the deck moulding is completely different. Jeanneau seemed to change many bad points. Roomier seeming aft cabin with better ventilation, windows in forward cabin, opening windows redesigned or recessed to allow them to remain open when raining. It is actually up for sale at the moment and cruising around Ionian just now.

cloud7

Visit site
Firstly apologies if this has been asked before, I did search but couldnt find anything.

My Better half has two pre requisites for a potential liveaboard yacht.
1. An island bed,
2. A decent size shower
Initially we would be looking at cruising the med,

I think A perfect candidate would be a Southerly 42RST - 2 cabin version, but out of my price range.
A cheaper option would be Jeanneau 42DS

The harsh reality is that even the SO 42DS may stretch the funds a bit, or I grow old saving up.
So I am looking if anyone has any other suggestions? Anything from £60 to £130k (the cheaper I can get something the sooner we can get sailing)

Also how much dearer is a 13m boat, than a sub 12m boat, for mooring & cruising fee's? it seems that 12m is the magic figure where it jumps up hugely in price.

Many thanks in advance

Did you consider an Elan 45 Impression , great aft cabin , front cabin , bunk room , en suite to aft cabin and second heads to bow cabins.

Pete Carr

Visit site
Did you consider an Elan 45 Impression , great aft cabin , front cabin , bunk room , en suite to aft cabin and second heads to bow cabins.

I looked briefly at Elan's in general, but didn't see any with the rear stateroom, (I didnt look hard enough clearly)
The 45 looks like a lot of modern boat for the money, but perhaps a bit too rich for me just yet, there are one ore two slightly older Elan's that may well do the job, so thankyou for the heads-up on these.

Pete Carr

Visit site
Pete, sorry if I missed this but where are you planning to keep the boat? Med exclusively? Or wider cruising area?

Graham, It will most likely be the med for at least a couple of years, then if the missus is up for it we may cross the Atlantic.
However; if I end up buying a boat somewhere other than Europe, the plans are likely to change.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Graham, It will most likely be the med for at least a couple of years, then if the missus is up for it we may cross the Atlantic.
However; if I end up buying a boat somewhere other than Europe, the plans are likely to change.

Don't want to start another B discussion here but, Have you read the threads on post B EU VAT status, lengths of visits etc? If it ever happens, you may have to pay VAT again depending on where boat is purchased and based.

Pete Carr

Visit site
Don't want to start another B discussion here but, Have you read the threads on post B EU VAT status, lengths of visits etc? If it ever happens, you may have to pay VAT again depending on where boat is purchased and based.

I'm steering clear of reading about it, until it actually effects me which is likely to be when the whole debacle is sorted, one way or another.