Boats with an island bed - suggestions.

Pete Carr

Visit site
Firstly apologies if this has been asked before, I did search but couldnt find anything.

My Better half has two pre requisites for a potential liveaboard yacht.
1. An island bed,
2. A decent size shower
Initially we would be looking at cruising the med,

I think A perfect candidate would be a Southerly 42RST - 2 cabin version, but out of my price range.
A cheaper option would be Jeanneau 42DS

The harsh reality is that even the SO 42DS may stretch the funds a bit, or I grow old saving up.
So I am looking if anyone has any other suggestions? Anything from £60 to £130k (the cheaper I can get something the sooner we can get sailing)

Also how much dearer is a 13m boat, than a sub 12m boat, for mooring & cruising fee's? it seems that 12m is the magic figure where it jumps up hugely in price.

Many thanks in advance

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Firstly apologies if this has been asked before, I did search but couldnt find anything.

My Better half has two pre requisites for a potential liveaboard yacht.
1. An island bed,
2. A decent size shower
Initially we would be looking at cruising the med,

I think A perfect candidate would be a Southerly 42RST - 2 cabin version, but out of my price range.
A cheaper option would be Jeanneau 42DS

The harsh reality is that even the SO 42DS may stretch the funds a bit, or I grow old saving up.
So I am looking if anyone has any other suggestions? Anything from £60 to £130k (the cheaper I can get something the sooner we can get sailing)

Also how much dearer is a 13m boat, than a sub 12m boat, for mooring & cruising fee's? it seems that 12m is the magic figure where it jumps up hugely in price.

Many thanks in advance

If you are looking at older, the Moodies did an island bed. A solidly built yacht.

Draw back of an island bed is that its useless at sea.

Also look at the Westerly Oceanlord..... Solid and V good value - later ones had an island bed....

Southerly has twin rudders - avoid as they are a nightmare to maneuver as there is no prop wash over the rudders..... Bow thruster helps but not enough.

neil1967

Visit site
If you are willing to look at older boats then the Oyster 406 (deck saloon rather than coach roof version) might suit. Not as much room as a more modern boat (doesn't have the wide stern) but centre-line aft cabin and reasonable size fore-heads.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We have an island bed of sort off small gap one side the other as now been taken up as I extend the batteries and made more storages , we think it great not haveing to climb out of a coffin each morning .
Moody 42

Yngmar

Visit site
Many centre cockpit boats have a big owner's aft cabin with a big island bed (although not all). The Moody 425 does, although I can't remember the size of the shower. Our Bavaria 40 Ocean (photos) has an aft cabin with island bed and a decent size shower in a dedicated* compartment, as do the 38/42/44 Ocean models.

* If you want to shower inside, you definitely want something with a dedicated shower area. Many boats just have a pull-out shower in the heads sink and you end up splattering the entire heads compartment, everyone's toothbrushes and the toilet seat and it's a mess to clean and dry. Ventilation is also important to get the moisture out quickly afterwards. Our nice shower cabin is mostly used for storage as it's much simpler and more pleasant to use the transom shower in summer! :)

Depends on where you go. In many marinas 12m is a magic threshold, in others 13m or 12.5m, so you can pick one that has the best deal for the size of your boat. In Greece under 12m pays a lot less cruising tax.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I wouldn't describe the Jeanneau 42DS aft. cabin bed as an island bed. There's storage on either side and seating at the end but you can't walk up either side. It's a bit awkward to change bedding as you can't really access either side apart from the bottom 2'. It is a comfortable cabin and bed is a bit more than 2mx2m so roomy enough and en-suite heads in fore and aft. cabins.

Wansworth

Visit site
Is there demand for a 40 footer with just 1 bedroom and en-suite wet room ,occasional guests could sleep on saloon sofas but it would be possible then to get really pleasant mini flat accommodation.

Pete Carr

Visit site
Many centre cockpit boats have a big owner's aft cabin with a big island bed (although not all). The Moody 425 does, although I can't remember the size of the shower. Our Bavaria 40 Ocean (photos) has an aft cabin with island bed and a decent size shower in a dedicated* compartment, as do the 38/42/44 Ocean models.

* If you want to shower inside, you definitely want something with a dedicated shower area. Many boats just have a pull-out shower in the heads sink and you end up splattering the entire heads compartment, everyone's toothbrushes and the toilet seat and it's a mess to clean and dry. Ventilation is also important to get the moisture out quickly afterwards. Our nice shower cabin is mostly used for storage as it's much simpler and more pleasant to use the transom shower in summer! :)

Depends on where you go. In many marinas 12m is a magic threshold, in others 13m or 12.5m, so you can pick one that has the best deal for the size of your boat. In Greece under 12m pays a lot less cruising tax.

We sat and looked at a lot of older boats last night (Thankyou everyone for your suggestions) I dont think centre cockpit is for us, there is so little room up top, compared to aft cockpit boats, and both the Bavaria and Moody options are quite old boats for the money (I'm sure the build quality is good) but the better half didnt seem overly impressed with the older boats, (or centre cockpit in general) so it looks like I will have to save up for something newer. I did find a very nice 2009 Jeanneau 45 DS with two cabins for £139k (having never bought a boat before, but following various forums, one would assume that all list prices are subject to negotiation?)

Pete Carr

Visit site
I wouldn't describe the Jeanneau 42DS aft. cabin bed as an island bed. There's storage on either side and seating at the end but you can't walk up either side. It's a bit awkward to change bedding as you can't really access either side apart from the bottom 2'. It is a comfortable cabin and bed is a bit more than 2mx2m so roomy enough and en-suite heads in fore and aft. cabins.

As an owner of a 42DS for around 10 years, that is a very honest appraisal. (apart from being a tad bigger, do you know anything about the 45 DS? a very nice one has caught my attention)
I had a nosey at your web site, I am very jealous of your past cruises, apart from the few build quality issues you mention, are you still happy that you bought the 42 DS?

Pete Carr

Visit site
Is there demand for a 40 footer with just 1 bedroom and en-suite wet room ,occasional guests could sleep on saloon sofas but it would be possible then to get really pleasant mini flat accommodation.

Whatever boat we end up getting, it will be basically used as you describe, we are a couple so we only need one bedroom, and one loo, everything else will probably be for storing her clothes :-/

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Whatever boat we end up getting, it will be basically used as you describe, we are a couple so we only need one bedroom, and one loo, everything else will probably be for storing her clothes :-/

As a matter of interest, how much sailing experience do you have? Have you chartered various types to see what suits you? In common with many, we sail and live aboard for many months but, when guests arrive, the second heads (both are en-suite) and cabin are a must. Bodies on settee berths (which many new boats don't have) are OK for a weekend but not for a week or two.

Pete Carr

Visit site
As a matter of interest, how much sailing experience do you have? Have you chartered various types to see what suits you? In common with many, we sail and live aboard for many months but, when guests arrive, the second heads (both are en-suite) and cabin are a must. Bodies on settee berths (which many new boats don't have) are OK for a weekend but not for a week or two.

sailing experience = very little really, two (separate) weeks of training plus two weeks of chartering, one on a two cabin Jeanneau 33i and second on a Dufour 412 neither of which had a cabin that we would want to live in for more than a weeks charter, guests would be a rarity but I do get your point on the second cabin & heads.

Some will criticise us for leaping in with little experience, but if I wait until I have more experience, I will end up being too old,
I need to make the jump in the next couple of years, or it will most likely never happen,
Of course I will make mistakes, but surely that is part of it all :)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Some will criticise us for leaping in with little experience, but if I wait until I have more experience, I will end up being too old,
I need to make the jump in the next couple of years, or it will most likely never happen,
Of course I will make mistakes, but surely that is part of it all :)

Age? I'm 73 and still enjoying it - except for winter maintenance:) We started off small before moving to centre cockpit and wouldn't go back to aft. Problem with the wrong boat is that mistakes can be very expensive, particularly when partners mutiny and disappear into the distance.

I would suggest you visit the brokers and look at as many boats as you can but, when looking at prices, allow plenty for a re-fit and equipping for hot climates. Teak decks look good but not practical for the Med and you would be looking at £40k or more to replace when time expired. Personally, I wouldn't want a deck saloon unless very well ventilated.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
.... Problem with the wrong boat is that mistakes can be very expensive, particularly when partners mutiny and disappear into the distance....

Ain't that the truth. :) My own boat for sale for that very reason.

My two penn'orth. Many Med boats are aft cockpit (bigger, and arguably a lot easier for stern to). Opinions vary. If you're planning a Med lifestyle then I'd suggest you pick a boat that is widely used there.

We looked at a couple of 45DS. Hard to find one with the single aft cabin but if you do, it's very spacious. Nice boat all round but a bit of a rarity with an aft cockpit AND an island bed.

Hallberg Rassy, Contest and Najad all have spacious aft cabin designs, but the centre cockpit may not be what you want.

Another unusual one is the Beneteau Sense. Need to see one to understand the layout.

Last edited:

Pete Carr

Visit site
Age? I'm 73 and still enjoying it - except for winter maintenance:) We started off small before moving to centre cockpit and wouldn't go back to aft. Problem with the wrong boat is that mistakes can be very expensive, particularly when partners mutiny and disappear into the distance.

I would suggest you visit the brokers and look at as many boats as you can but, when looking at prices, allow plenty for a re-fit and equipping for hot climates. Teak decks look good but not practical for the Med and you would be looking at £40k or more to replace when time expired. Personally, I wouldn't want a deck saloon unless very well ventilated.

I understand the issues with teak decks, but it really limits ones choices if you rule it out.
I am curious about your concern over ventilation on a deck saloon, I would have thought they would be more airy than a conventional "lower" boat? but possibly not?
Good suggestion regarding visiting a broker and viewing as many boats as possible,

Pete Carr

Visit site
Ain't that the truth. :) My own boat for sale for that very reason.

My two penn'orth. Many Med boats are aft cockpit (bigger, and arguably a lot easier for stern to). Opinions vary. If you're planning a Med lifestyle then I'd suggest you pick a boat that is widely used there.

We looked at a couple of 45DS. Hard to find one with the single aft cabin but if you do, it's very spacious. Nice boat all round but a bit of a rarity with an aft cockpit AND an island bed.

Hallberg Rassy, Contest and Najad all have spacious aft cabin designs, but the centre cockpit may not be what you want.

Another unusual one is the Beneteau Sense. Need to see one to understand the layout.

I may have found the perfect 45DS - fingers crossed it is still available, when I am in a position to commit?

The Beneteau Sense is certainly different.
May I ask what is you dont like about Scala? she looks like a nice boat to my uneducated eye.