Boat Trailers

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
hi guys,

Anyone recommend a particular company for boat trailers. Ive been looking at Nicholsons, SBS, Indespension, Degraaf, and im just getting all confused, there isn't much in-between the prices, which would you say were the better quality, , thanks a lot

crazy4557

Visit site
I had a De Graaf trailer which I used between here and Sardinia on several occasions and never had any issues, not dunked in the water though which helps. Looked strongly built with good reinforcement around the drawbar area. I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
hi guys,

Anyone recommend a particular company for boat trailers. Ive been looking at Nicholsons, SBS, Indespension, Degraaf, and im just getting all confused, there isn't much in-between the prices, which would you say were the better quality, , thanks a lot
Hi K, probably be helpful if you say what boat it’s for, and what you need the trailer to do. Long distance towing is very different from storage and launch, for example.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Extreme trailers in Southampton
I’ve got 2 of theirs. Very satisfactory too. TBH, having owned a number of trailers over the years (I’ve never owned a boat that wasn't at least technically trailerable,)I have never found much difference as long as it fits and suits the boat. You adapt ypur launching procedure to the boat, the trailer and location anyway. On the road, the tow car makes much more difference than the trailer, unless theres something really wrong. If the boat is sold with a trailer as an option by the factory, find out which it is, and buy that. Otherwise, don’t get hung up, the trailer makers will tell you what their best fit is.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Vanclaes. The sealed oil filled bearings and disc brakes they use are very good.
Of course they are. They come at a cost though, and they make no difference to the actual trailing, or launching. It might of course save you from that embarrassing trail of smoke, and a long sojourn in a lay by with the hubs stripped!

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I had a De Graaf trailer which I used between here and Sardinia on several occasions and never had any issues, not dunked in the water though which helps. Looked strongly built with good reinforcement around the drawbar area. I’d buy another in a heartbeat.
A note on build:

It is critical that the boat is properly secured with straps to the trailer and that nose weight is right.
In this way the boat and trailer form a self-supporting structure, much more stable than if the boat just "sits on top".

Far better road holding and drivability, not least in the event of "unforeseen incidents" (notorious in traffic) 😱

KevinV

Visit site
I've had excellent support from SBS - ordering service parts for a 20 year old trailer. They answer the phone, and supplied the correct parts on chassis number, promptly.

Canopy Locked

Visit site
Had a SBS and 2 x Degraff (incl current boat), also a Bramber (had for 24hrs before returning) - Unimpressed with the build quality of the Bramber - lots of rough/sharp edges - the trailer light board was destroyed in under 100 miles. Also no paperwork at all - not cert of conformity no guarantee, nothing - might have been the dealer who was cutting corners.

SBS was a long time ago, but was a perfectly good trailer as I recall (3.5t - twin axle)

The Degraff trailers I'm very happy with. Locking trailer hitch, Lots of adjustment. I collected my current trailer from their yard. Small family company, nice people to do business with. Current trailer 1300 kg single axle - Full raft of paperwork.

ontheplane

Visit site
Had a SBS and 2 x Degraff (incl current boat), also a Bramber (had for 24hrs before returning) - Unimpressed with the build quality of the Bramber - lots of rough/sharp edges - the trailer light board was destroyed in under 100 miles. Also no paperwork at all - not cert of conformity no guarantee, nothing - might have been the dealer who was cutting corners.

SBS was a long time ago, but was a perfectly good trailer as I recall (3.5t - twin axle)

The Degraff trailers I'm very happy with. Locking trailer hitch, Lots of adjustment. I collected my current trailer from their yard. Small family company, nice people to do business with. Current trailer 1300 kg single axle - Full raft of paperwork.
I used to know the guy who set up DeGraaff. - Albert or Alfred, can’t remember! Very nice guy, knowledgeable - I never had any problem with his trailers, bight loads - but did sometimes get a bit of surface rust even where the galvanising was.

Bought a brilliant trailer some years later from a company in Southampton that literally made them in a shed in their garden - it was good but can’t find on the internet so maybe not there anymore?

I can certainly recommend DeGraaff though.

I was amazed at last years boat show how dear trailers have got though - the last one I bought was a 3500kg multi roller and it was about £2k - they seem nearer £6k now!!!