Boat selection for sailing around Britain

Solent Joe

Visit site
I'm looking to sail single-handed around Britain via Cape Wrath in the next couple of years (still very much in the planning stage! ;)) however, I've planned on purchasing a boat in the coming months- most probably being the one that will take me around Britain, so I need to take appropriate features into account.

What should I look for in a boat to complete a single-handed circumnavigation? obviously overall build quality etc, but anything specific? also any boats in particular that I should keep away from/tend towards? :confused:

My budget for the boat is around £5K excluding refit.

While I'm here, other general tips from those of you who have completed this circumnavigation would be great! :D

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
good plan... more information needed

I'm looking to sail single-handed around Britain via Cape Wrath in the next couple of years (still very much in the planning stage! ;)) however, I've planned on purchasing a boat in the coming months- most probably being the one that will take me around Britain, so I need to take appropriate features into account.

What should I look for in a boat to complete a single-handed circumnavigation? obviously overall build quality etc, but anything specific? also any boats in particular that I should keep away from/tend towards? :confused:

While I'm here, other general tips from those of you who have completed this circumnavigation would be great! :D

good plan, sensible budget - couple of extra questions

how long are you expecting to take

a tight schedule demands a tough boat

how old are you, how fit, how much experience do you have?

Dylan

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site

With £5k you will be looking at older boats (my 1969 Cutlass was a bit over £5k a few years ago before refit - still ongoing!)

Are you doing 'day sails' or non stop?

For sea keeping I would tend towards a longer keel - hence the Cutlass, bit if weight in her to keep momentum in short North Sea chop - small light boats just get stopped by the short wavelength.

Good battery power - autopilot and if you can windvane too.

Good set of waterproofs - keep dry and keep warm.

Had been planning on the Jester Azores this year but work got in the way. Around UK sounds a great trip.

tom_sail

Visit site
A corribee would be high up on my list!

I have spent close to £2000 just preparing for my trip round the UK this year. So also budget in for spares and new equipment because a boat for 5K won't come equipped for a voyage like this.

I would look for something with the control lines lead back to the cockpit, good autopilot.

Solent Joe

Visit site
Thanks for you input so far guys!

Dylan- I've seen your series KTL, great stuff! I've found that most helpful, alongside Nathan's 'OnKudu' series. I'd only have 3 months for my circumnavigation though! I'm 20, very physically fit and have been sailing in one form or another for 7 years. I don't have as many sea miles clocked up like some of you guys, but I think this is really something I need to do when I'm younger and can take three months out without adversly affecting income etc.

Karouise- I plan to sail most of it in shorter passages, more so around the picturesque west of Scotland than, say, the East coast, which would involve longer passages to compensate.

Thanks again for your tips everyone

Joe

doug748

Visit site
I would look for something with Folkboat in it's roots. Snug though, so best if you are not personally built on the heroic clef.

One member of the team (Zagato I think) bought a cracking Folksong for that sort of money, about 12 months ago.

V1701

Visit site
Wouldn't rush your purchase, lots of bargains to be had at the moment. Albin Vega's are very suitable for this sort of trip, one's just finished circumnavigating the N & S American continent via the NW passage. You might well get one for £6 or £7k. Look for something that's been reengined as well if you can. Good luck...:)

dylanwinter

One that will take the ground

I think that you will find that a deep keel boat that falls over when the tide goes out add to your costs and limit your options

and if you buy the right boat then you will not notice any difference in performance or seakeeping qualities

but you will find that most people will tell you to buy the same boat they bought

but without knowing what you know, how fit you are and how much time you have then it is going to be really hard for you to receive any sensible advice

unless of course you are not listening

which is a common fault of most sailors

Dylan

Last edited:

Fire99

Visit site
To be fair, If you're fit and aren't fussed about the journey being too smooth nor wishing to go at rocket pace, the options are huge.

Many many old boats will take far more than the sailor is likely to want to be out in.

Personally, if budget is tight, a nice bilge keeler would be my choice. Keeps mooring options high and you can disappear down shallow creeks if you want a bit of rest.

The money IMO will be in insuring rigging, sails, steering gear, engine etc are in top form and reliable, so you can rely on them when the going gets tough.

With Sailing i've always found 'If it can happen, it will happen!'

In summary, its less about the type or make of boat and more about the condition of the equipment.

Nik

dylanwinter

sensible advice

To be fair, If you're fit and aren't fussed about the journey being too smooth nor wishing to go at rocket pace, the options are huge.

Many many old boats will take far more than the sailor is likely to want to be out in.

Personally, if budget is tight, a nice bilge keeler would be my choice. Keeps mooring options high and you can disappear down shallow creeks if you want a bit of rest.

The money IMO will be in insuring rigging, sails, steering gear, engine etc are in top form and reliable, so you can rely on them when the going gets tough.

With Sailing i've always found 'If it can happen, it will happen!'

In summary, its less about the type or make of boat and more about the condition of the equipment.

Nik

to paraphrase Nick

it is more about the sort of bloke you are than the sort of boat you buy

Dylan

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Not wanting to rain on your parade, but 3 months sounds like a challenge. My wife and I took 3 months off the sail around Scotland via Orkney, we didn't manage it in the three months we had and had to leave the boat in Largs. That was in a well equipped 32 footer. The weather on the north west coast can be bad and can easily take a week or two from your plan. We had engine problems which cost us over £1k to sort out along the way.

I wish you the best of luck, take lots of photos and write it up for one of the magazines

jwilson

Visit site
A corribee would be high up on my list!

I have spent close to £2000 just preparing for my trip round the UK this year. So also budget in for spares and new equipment because a boat for 5K won't come equipped for a voyage like this.

I would look for something with the control lines lead back to the cockpit, good autopilot.
Hurley 22 - although only a foot longer than the Coribbee it feels and sails like a bigger boat. Seamaster 23, older small Westerly, Trident 24 ?

The lower the budget the more you may have to look at - and you want someone else to have bought the sails and/or engine fairly recently.

graham

Visit site
If your on a tight budget I would consider a bilge keeler which may allow you cheaper drying moorings on your stop overs.

Hurley 22 sails well very seaworthy probably get a sound well equipped one for 3 or 4 k.

Pandora 22 faster than Hurley but not as comfortable .

Westerley Pageant bit slow but comfortable and usually have diesel inboards.

Loads of other possibilities. I would find an add for a boat you like then post it up here for specific opinions.

Seajet

Visit site
Here's my predictable post, but as your spec' seems to fit well, consider an Anderson 22; fast & seaworthy, lift keel for the Dylan type bits, outboard in a well which I am convinced is the best compromise at this size.

Not many 'posh' examples for sale, but 3 capable examples going that I know of.

www.anderson22class.co.uk

I'm contactable from there if interested.

As for other tips, I couldn't over-emphasize the importance of a GOOD autopilot, and I'd take at least 2, seriously !

So a decent solar and / or wind charger as well as anything the engine can produce will be high priority too.

Whatever you choose, Have Fun !

Andy

graham

Visit site
Another vote for the anderson 22 .I had one for 10 years I think Seajet has had one about 30 years?I didnt include it in the list above as those in the list are all bilge keelers.

Fast capable sea boat with lifting keel and an outboard in a well. Its easilly driven and only needs a small outboard. I had a 4hp Suzuki and that pushed it fine.

A number of Anderson 22s have done offshore passages including trans atlantic passages.

VLP.jpg

LastScan.jpg

Last edited:

parbuckle

Visit site
Contessa 26 type.

+1 CO26 Proven passage maker,excels in heavy weather, Round the Island Race winner,long keel easy on the helm,I put one aground on foulness sand in a six ,before the advent of GPS or Decca ( no excuse),took a heavy pounding for about an hour got off with no damage apart from my underpants,this boat is impressive.£5000 though,you may be looking at a similar design or one thats a bit of a project.

Solent Joe

Visit site
Sorry for the delay in posting, as I am a new user this site they have to spend hours moderating my initial posts- it's a ridiculous system, and by the time my post appears, it's irrelevant and people think I'm not willing to listen. Anyway...

Dylan- my second post on the first page addresses your questions, it's appeared at the time I wrote it, not when it was permitted by the moderators so it may have been overlooked. In short, I'm 20, very fit, with 7 years experience on different sailing craft.

Snooks- I agree that 3 months isn't a great deal of time, but from what I've researched it does seem do-able. Also, I'm a keen photographer/videographer, so hope to record the trip in detail.

In regard to keel type, I was initially leaning towards the fin rather than bilge as I don't intend to spend much time going too far inland, up creeks etc.

oh, Graham's post reminded me- is an inboard engine necessary or should a good outboard do the job?

Thanks again for the comments everyone, I do take the time to read them all!